Gransnet forums

Chat

Very very upset

(40 Posts)
FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 18:55:20

Hi all,
I have just had news that my 95 year old Great Auntie who lives in an apartment complex for the elderly, is in hospital with a head injury.
She was in the shower, got out and slipped, causing hit her head on the toilet pan, resulting in a nasty cut on the back of her head.
The warden sent for an ambulance and she was taken to hospital, where she will remain for a couple of days to make sure she's okay.
I'm very very very upset, I don't think I'll sleep much tonight, I'm waiting on everybody going to bed so I can break down. X

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 18:57:39

That should read "the warden of the complex). X

Doodle Thu 29-Oct-20 19:02:38

I am sorry that has happened. Hopefully with a cut she will she will be ok. The big problem would be concussion but it sounds as though that didn’t happen which is lucky.

M0nica Thu 29-Oct-20 19:07:56

Flying Hxndbag I am so sorry to hear this, you have really been in the wars recently, I am not surprised you feel you will not be able to sleep, Do you have to breakdown away from people, is there nobodies shoulder you can cry on?

Those in charge of your aunt's accommodation , seem to have acted with commendable speed to make sure she was soon in hospital and it would seem that she does not have severe concussion, but she must be very shaken up.

Is there anything you can do or take to help soothe your troubled soul into sleep; an audio book, or music, or just a long hot bath?

Take good care of yourself.

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 19:08:07

Doodle, I'm shaking and feel sick... I'm on FaceTime to my cousin and we're both very upset. My auntie is the loveliest person you could meet, she's fiercely independent and still does Thai Chi, swimming and walks for miles. She broke her hip 5 years ago and I couldn't visit her in hospital without sobbing. X

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Oct-20 19:08:28

She is in the best place and she sould be back very soon. 95 is a really good age and it sounds as though she copes okay- she is very lucky.

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 19:10:26

M0nica, your reply came in as I was replying to Doodle. I haven't heard anything else, all I know is that she fell this morning, went to hospital, had stitches and she's being monitored. I don't want to make a fuss and have people think I'm making it about me. I feel like crying now, so my cousin may have to listen to me wailing. X

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 19:11:09

Charleygirl5, your reply came in as I was replying to M0nica. She's so amazing and nothing fazes her. X

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Oct-20 19:22:04

You are so lucky she is so amazing. Are you allowed to visit her in hospital- I lose track of who can and who cannot visit. I do hope you can- it will really help you if you see she is getting better.

I would like to have all of my faculties in 10 years time- I cannot see me reach the age of 95. The way she is going she will be receiving a telegram I nearly said the queen but it will be Prince Charles in 5 years I would have thought.

Please try sleeping tonight- your great aunt would hate you fretting over her so be strong for her FH.

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 19:25:14

Charleygirl5, she said at the start of COVID "if I'm in hospital at any point, don't bring the kids to visit me as I don't want them catching anything" she still calls us the kids at our age. I feel like crying, all she wanted was a shower and she's in a hospital bed with stitches. X

Doodle Thu 29-Oct-20 19:34:09

FlyingHxndbag I realise you are very fond of your aunt and obviously upset at her accident but it does sound as though she’s going to be ok.
I would try and calm myself if I were you. This shouldn’t be making you feel shaky and sick. It is upsetting naturally but she is 95 and accidents like this can easily happen. I am sure she wouldn’t want you to be feeling so bad, you will make yourself ill. Perhaps if she has a mobile phone you could ring her and see how she sounds.

B9exchange Thu 29-Oct-20 19:35:46

You are lucky to have such a lovely Aunty, and I am sure the last thing she would want is for you to be so upset. It sounds as though you are in shock, so allow yourself something sinful and comforting for once. I can only go on what you have told us, but it really does look as though the outlook is good, and she will be back with you soon. Go out and buy her a non-slip shower mat and have grab rails fitted if the doesn't have those, and enjoy her remaining years together.

Don't panic about not sleeping, it maybe that even after a warm bath and a hot milky drink that you can't, but it is not a disaster. She will probably be discharged tomorrow and you can sleep then. It is good to you have your cousin to support you, I am glad you are not alone. flowers

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 19:41:53

Thanks all, my cousin and I are thinking about sending her a package of some nice treats. X

BlueSky Thu 29-Oct-20 20:02:11

FH sorry to hear about your aunty. As we age falls are very common luckily being in a complex she could have help quickly. If she's in hospital she’ll be well looked after, try to get some rest yourself x

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 20:02:30

FH
Presumably this is your mother or father's aunt and they'll be upset to so have a chat with them.

Shower stools might be a good idea, one in the shower and one to sit on when she gets out.
Non-slip waterproof shower shoes might be an idea too, to wear in the shower.

I hope she recovers well.

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 20:05:46

Thanks all. It's my fathers auntie, but he doesn't seem to be upset at all, he isn't the type to get upset. X

jdga Thu 29-Oct-20 20:29:48

((Hugs)) I hope yr auntie is home safe again asap!

cornishpatsy Thu 29-Oct-20 20:32:49

Sorry to hear about your Aunty. Hope you get some sleep tonight,things always seem worse when you are tired.

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 20:52:49

Thanks both... you're all so kind. X

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 22:42:18

www.scottsofstow.co.uk/mesh-shower-shoes

Callistemon Thu 29-Oct-20 22:44:00

They might be a good idea for you, too, as you're prone to falling.
Useful if anyone has to go into hospital, too.

FlyingHxndbag Thu 29-Oct-20 22:46:50

Thankyou so much. X

V3ra Thu 29-Oct-20 23:56:25

It's a nasty shock when someone who's always been there is suddenly vulnerable.
It sounds like she's being well taken care of though.
Try not to fret x

anikers Fri 30-Oct-20 05:22:58

I'm sorry to hear about this. I hope both you and your aunt are feeling better.

Charleygirl5 Fri 30-Oct-20 12:13:36

FH I do appreciate for you it was possibly a long, tearful sleepless night but I do hope your lovely aunt had a good night's sleep.

I am in agreement with another GN, a shower stool was superb for me and I even use it when washing my hair. Like yourself, I have balance problems and it changed my life. Your aunt will be less hesitant to shower if she knows she can sit down- and as said before, do not forget about yourself. That could be a birthday gift to self- why not?

Is she being discharged today? Hospitals no longer care about age- a GN had a THR late one Friday evening and was discharged on the Sunday. Could you maybe stay a couple of nights so that she feels safe again? That would be a kind gesture.

OMG I forgot about Covid and forget which tier you are in so it may not be allowed. Does she have a hospital near where she lives? Look after yourself.