Gransnet forums

Chat

Does Prince Edward have a right to be in uniform

(51 Posts)
Lesley60 Thu 12-Nov-20 11:57:14

Seeing Prince Edward dressed in full military uniform yesterday made me wonder at the right of him to wear it.
Please correct me if I’m wrong but did he not even complete his basic training in the marines, I think this is an insult to all the brave service people who served and still doing so, to have a failure like him having the cheek to wear the uniform.

Oopsminty Thu 12-Nov-20 12:01:08

I wondered this as well, Lesley60!

Discovered this on Google

www.de24.news/2020/11/why-does-prince-edward-wear-medals-if-he-never-served-in-battle.html

Simply put, the prince can wear the medals as they are decorative honours given to him by the queen.

Kalu Thu 12-Nov-20 12:03:05

Who cares!

Oopsminty Thu 12-Nov-20 12:04:12

Kalu

Who cares!

Me!

Well not much

But I did wonder at the sight of him. He had so many medals on I thought he might topple over

Chardy Thu 12-Nov-20 12:06:17

I thought all the Queen's children were colonel-in-chief of this and that, and do can wear the appropriate uniforms. A lot of medals are the gift of the Queen, including OBEs etc

Blossoming Thu 12-Nov-20 12:07:35

He’s probably an honorary commander of some regiment or other. The medals he wears are not military.

FarNorth Thu 12-Nov-20 12:08:19

Sounds like another outdated custom.

Lesley60 Thu 12-Nov-20 12:08:45

It just makes me angry every time I see him decked out in his finery with all those medals when he has no moral right to wear them.

FarNorth Thu 12-Nov-20 12:09:18

Non military medals?
For eating up all his dinner, or what?

Greyduster Thu 12-Nov-20 12:22:22

He’s Colonel in Chief of the Wessex Yeomanry, which is a reserve regiment. They have no connection to HM Royal Marines, so he shouldn’t have nightmares about it?. Four months I think he lasted?.

Blossoming Thu 12-Nov-20 12:26:44

FarNorth

Non military medals?
For eating up all his dinner, or what?

See Oopsminty’s post earlier in the thread.

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-20 12:51:46

Is everyone who resigned from a job because they chose a different job a failure?

Edward has military appointments.

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-20 12:52:40

What of princess Anne ?

GrannyLaine Thu 12-Nov-20 13:07:47

I wonder if those who feel outraged feel the same towards Princess Anne, who also has no military service?

GrannyLaine Thu 12-Nov-20 13:08:28

sorry Anniebach, crossed posts.

Lucca Thu 12-Nov-20 13:09:43

In a sense Harry has resigned from a job too. Just saying.

paddyanne Thu 12-Nov-20 13:16:37

Lucca Harry like dress up to though .a Nazi uniform wasn't it ? Its all a game for them,they turn up dress up and joe soap shells out millions to keep them in a lifestyle no one else could even imagine..especially those who are provided for by the state .Now all the nonsense about a massive celebration of an old woman who has been feeding off the poor for 70 years or more and keeping her parasites from our money .It really has to end.I am very heartened by the growing voice against a Monarchy ,the younger generations aren't in favour of them at all .

Ellianne Thu 12-Nov-20 13:17:20

I wouldn't scoff too much! The drop out rate during training of each Royal Marines'
intake is 75 - 80%.
Proud to have a success story in my family!

Anniebach Thu 12-Nov-20 13:26:30

paddyanne you took payment to photograph the royals

suziewoozie Thu 12-Nov-20 14:19:14

All this dressing up when you've never served is just pure Ruritania and is insulting to those who served.

Greyduster Thu 12-Nov-20 18:40:22

One royal who certainly deserves to wear his uniform and his medals is the Duke of Kent. He served in the Royal Scots Greys for twenty one years, serving with his regiment in Northern Ireland in the early seventies. I’ve always had the greatest respect for him.

Alegrias2 Thu 12-Nov-20 18:48:42

I thought he looked quite unwell this year at the Cenotaph, Greyduster. I was sorry to see that.

Mapleleaf Thu 12-Nov-20 22:28:44

Yes, I thought the same, Alegrias2.

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 12-Nov-20 22:35:18

Ellianne

I wouldn't scoff too much! The drop out rate during training of each Royal Marines'
intake is 75 - 80%.
Proud to have a success story in my family!

Mine too! My son spent several years in the Royal Marines and was in Iraq in 2003 and later on Afghanistan.

Callistemon Thu 12-Nov-20 23:29:28

Greyduster

One royal who certainly deserves to wear his uniform and his medals is the Duke of Kent. He served in the Royal Scots Greys for twenty one years, serving with his regiment in Northern Ireland in the early seventies. I’ve always had the greatest respect for him.

I saw him last year and he did extremely well for someone in his 80s who had had a stroke although he did look more frail this year.