Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

More suspect emails

(28 Posts)
ayse Sun 22-Nov-20 09:15:11

This morning checking emails I’d received two strange emails as follows:

An email from Amazon asking me to take part in a competition. Very pretty it was too with hearts and brightly coloured.
An email from Adobe telling me to log in or loose everything I’d stored.

I’ve deleted them but just wondered if anyone else had received anything similar?

Nanawind Sun 22-Nov-20 09:30:51

I received the Adobe one this morning. I don't know if I even have Adobe.
I always drop down the email so I can see which email it came from.
Funny but the Adobe was sent from Adobe.
I had the royal mail one last week.

Septimia Sun 22-Nov-20 09:35:42

Haven't had those, but several about moneygrams. Blocked and binned.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 22-Nov-20 09:39:04

I tried to log onto my bank this week. Was directed to another page which told me they needed my security information.
Aye right as they say up here.
Called my bank to report the scam only to be told it was genuine and an attempt to get me onto telephone banking.
Well done HSBC! I’m moving my account away from them this coming week.

BlueBelle Sun 22-Nov-20 09:55:20

Yes I m not sure it’s anything to do with telephone banking (although that’s all we do now anyway) but my bank has upped its security and now I have to have an extra check before I can get into my accounts I do my password check (I ) then my memorial information (step 2) now I have to have a passcode number sent to my phone (step 3) before I can get into my accounts
I presumed it was because they ve had a lot of scams

MrsThreadgoode Sun 22-Nov-20 10:09:15

I had one on Friday from HSBC to tell me that there was a problem with my account and to follow the link or my account would be frozen.

Shock, horror, except I don’t bank with them......

PollyDolly Sun 22-Nov-20 10:18:36

I had one just a few days ago from BT claiming they had given my bill "a whole new look" and I should "login now to witness the amazing changes"! I'm not even a BT customer!!!!

Blossoming Sun 22-Nov-20 10:25:46

2 from Tesco inviting me to claim my rewards. I don’t shop with them,

annsixty Sun 22-Nov-20 10:28:26

I can only say, as these scams are proliferating, there must be a lot of people taken in by them and responding and the loss of money stolen must be huge. The firms wouldn’t be functioning otherwise.

I have had some very obvious ones with suspect English and grammar but also some very authentic and genuine looking ones.
How to ban them? I don’t know but surely something can be done.

tiredoldwoman Sun 22-Nov-20 10:31:39

I got a text supposedly from NHS , saying if I'm due a flu jab phone this number ( whatever it was ) I just deleted it . Minutes later the postie brought a letter from my GP asking me to come for an annual review so I'm suspecting that the text was a scam ?

fourormore Sun 22-Nov-20 10:59:49

Thank you everyone who highlights any scams at all - I have been 'shot down' several times when I've posted details and basically told that nobody is daft enough to fall for them.

However, I will continue to alert people because as Annsixty rightly says, there must be a lot of people taken in by them and responding and the loss of money stolen must be huge. If they didn't succeed they would give up!

As far as I am concerned the more we are alerted the better!

Chewbacca Sun 22-Nov-20 11:20:32

I got 2 emails from Virgin Media last week, one of which I'd been expecting as I'd just renewed my contract with them. Both emails arrived on the same day and they looked similar, except one of them addressed me by my Christian name and the other addressed me as "Dear Customer". The legitimate email was simply a summary of my contract. The scam one asked me to confirm my bank details so that the contract could begin. So how did the scammers know I'd just renewed my contract?

MaggieTulliver Sun 22-Nov-20 12:18:15

Yes I get scam emails quite a lot and just delete anything that looks suspicious without looking any further. Unfortunately the world seems to be full of low-life scum who do this and it’s highly organised too. I’m sure everyone knows the rules about staying safe; your bank would never email you in this way, ignore anything that says your account will be suspended if you don’t click on this link etc etc. Makes me fume that people do this.

Lizzies Sun 22-Nov-20 12:22:24

I got an email saying that a payee had successfully been added to my Halifax account. Lovely, except I don’t have a Halifax account!

Bathsheba Sun 22-Nov-20 12:27:02

I had one from DVLA, purportedly, telling me my car wasn't taxed because my last payment had failed. Given that my car is zero-rated for tax, it was glaringly obvious this was fake. But it was very professionally done, so watch out for this one!

Jane10 Sun 22-Nov-20 12:36:15

Please do go on highlighting scams

glammanana Sun 22-Nov-20 12:49:49

I agree Jane10 the more information given the better,at this time of year with everything going on people can be distracted and may just forget to check what may be scam e-mails

MawBe Sun 22-Nov-20 12:53:09

Am I right in thinking there is a scam whereby a caller will ask (eg) “ Am I speaking to Maw Be?”
And if you say “Yes” that can somehow be isolated and tacked on to any random financial commitment which you have then agreed to?
I always answer (if at all). “who is calling please?” And not infrequently they hang up.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 22-Nov-20 14:24:51

That was flagged up a couple of years ago, MawBe, but as I remember it, it turned out to be untrue. On the other hand, it makes sense to ask who is calling, and I do the same as you.

Jane10 Sun 22-Nov-20 14:48:12

Just this minute had a text from someone purporting to be EE to say that they'd not been able to access my payment details etc etc. I didn't even open the text.

Daddima Sun 22-Nov-20 16:26:37

I had one today saying it was Marie Curie’s newsletter, and telling me to open the attachment. No logo, and it came from a Hotmail account with a strange address. Now, I do get a newsletter from Marie Curie, so I could easily have opened it.
I think it’s good that people post about possible scams, as it makes us that wee bit more careful.

Blossoming Sun 22-Nov-20 16:34:16

Please everybody do carry on highlighting scams. 99 people out of 100 May have heard of them, but you could save that 1 person who hasn’t a lot of hassle.

infoman Wed 25-Nov-20 09:04:32

Have to agree,keeping posting about all these suspect scams.
Even if you have seen the same ones them several times before
I know there are various official sites that you can report any suspect activity to.
With Gransnet at least you can see your reported scam in word and replys.
Still keep reporting them to the various official sites though.

MrsThreadgoode Wed 25-Nov-20 09:11:57

Another email this morning from Apple telling me that in order to process my Case No........... they need me to click on the link or my Account will be frozen and I will be unable to use access my Apple Account.

What Case? This is the third one I’ve received , meanwhile Apple continues to work fine.

lemongrove Wed 25-Nov-20 10:27:40

No scam emails ( as yet) but we get at least two scam phone calls a day, to do with either BT or Amazon or home improvements.