Gransnet forums

Chat

My sewing machine. Should I part with it?

(6 Posts)
Annanan Tue 24-Nov-20 22:44:27

I’ve always had a sewing machine, since I got married in 1966. My current machine has been languishing in a cupboard for quite a long time now and I’m wondering whether the time has come to part with it to my eldest daughter. But I’m worried that I might miss it for those rare occasions when I need to do some sewing. But I’m worried that I might miss it for those rare occasions when I need to do some sewing. Advice please!

Lexisgranny Tue 24-Nov-20 22:57:08

I would say that depends on how close you live to your daughter, and whether it would be possible to have it back for any unexpected job that turned up. In my experience if ever you dispose of a item that you haven’t used for some time, you generally find some urgent need for it before long.

Hithere Wed 25-Nov-20 03:14:11

Why do you want to get rid of it?

CanadianGran Wed 25-Nov-20 03:39:49

What sort of sewing job might you need it for? If is small repairs, then you can mend by hand or take clothing to the tailors. We have a wonderful tailor shop that does small repairs and adjustments very inexpensively.

If you are really planning to take up sewing or quilting again as a hobby, then by all means pull it out, dust it off and start a project! Maybe after doing a project you will either fall in love with it again, or realize your heart isn't in it anymore and the machine can be passed along.

vegansrock Wed 25-Nov-20 06:50:45

Get your machine out and use it - you may fall in love with sewing. My motto - use it or lose it.

PollyDolly Wed 25-Nov-20 07:05:53

No, don't part with it! I have owned or had access to sewing machines all my life. However, there was a time, many years ago when that wasn't the case, and I felt like I had lost a leg!

I use mine most days for all manner of projects; tailoring, quilting, making roman blinds.......the list is endless. If it isn't causing a problem by being 'in the way' leave it where it is, you might need to use it.