Gransnet forums

Chat

Happy to chat

(31 Posts)
Dottynan Wed 25-Nov-20 08:08:14

Asda are giving their delivery drivers 'Happy to chat' badges to wear this Christmas. What a brilliant change from telling delivery drivers they are on a tight schedule and to deliver in shortest time possible. I chatted to an elderly lady the other day and she thanked my for taking the time to talk to her. I felt gutted as I then realised how lonely she was and as she tottered of I wished I had talked longer

Missfoodlove Wed 25-Nov-20 08:40:47

It’s a lovely idea.

BlueSky Wed 25-Nov-20 09:00:50

Unfortunately these rules are made by people who don’t actually do the job, same as in supermarkets where the poor checkout operators have to ask whether you need help packing as well as doing all the other jobs. I would have thought the delivery drivers were busy enough especially at Christmas or are they putting on more drivers so they can chat? ??

Anniebach Wed 25-Nov-20 09:57:30

Agree BlueSky

lemsip Wed 25-Nov-20 10:06:37

Just a few words 'passing time of day' . I don't think they are suggesting time consuming conversations ! The drivers have schedules to keep up!

Blossoming Wed 25-Nov-20 10:31:29

Asda has launched a new initiative that will see some delivery drivers wear a ‘happy to chat’ badge. It’s hoped these badges will encourage people to start a conversation and have a proper chinwag; which could be life-saving. Drivers are not required to wear the badges – it’s entirely up to them

Read more: metro.co.uk/2020/11/25/asda-delivery-drivers-wear-happy-to-chat-badges-to-tackle-loneliness-13650958/?ito=cbshare

GreyKnitter Wed 25-Nov-20 10:34:19

How lovely that they are even thinking about it. We have deliveries from Tesco and those delivering are always friendly and up for a chat. They dont waste lots of time but are always happy for a social chat! Really grateful to them. If I lived on my own it would be the highlight of my day. Well done food delivery drivers everywhere.

nipsmum Wed 25-Nov-20 10:41:25

Thank goodness I have 2 dogs who require to go for walks. I see people and frequently stop for a chat and pass the time of day with everybody. I've done this all through this year.

jenni123 Wed 25-Nov-20 10:47:39

since being told in the first lockdown and again during this one that I must shield, I hardly see anyone, delivery drivers, yes they chat while putting the bags in the kitchen but of course they have to rush off, the only other people I see are medical, ie INR nurse about every 6 weeks, had a phlebotomist here last week, that's the extent of my visitors. I haven't been outside my flat since February when I came out of hospital. Oh I lie, the hospital sent transport to take me to an appointment one day about 3 weeks ago.

RosesAreRed21 Wed 25-Nov-20 12:00:38

What a lovely idea - well done Asda

Aepgirl Wed 25-Nov-20 12:26:41

I had a lovely ‘chat’ on Monday evening with my Waitrose driver. My daughter and her Waitrose driver are now on first name terms!

Alioop Wed 25-Nov-20 13:00:51

My post woman called with a parcel the other morning and stood chatting with my dog! She told her she misses seeing her properly and giving her ears a scratch. No mention of missing me lol

Doreen5 Wed 25-Nov-20 13:13:43

Tesco delivery drivers have always been brilliant and happy to chat. Can't fault them or the 'pickers' in the shop. They deserve a good tip this Christmas.

janipans Wed 25-Nov-20 13:18:03

I was an insurance claims handler and was always getting in early/staying late to keep up with my workload as I was slower than others because I took extra time to chat to people who were already feeling upset and wanted to talk. I got great job satisfaction and got lots of praise from the people I dealt with so it was worth it. Well done Asda for recognising that sometimes people just need to feel someone is willing to give a little bit extra, rather than ticking the box and moving on!

SueDonim Wed 25-Nov-20 13:24:52

My mum does a phone order with her local Coop. Last time she had a delivery, they sent out one of the shop managers to chat to their customers while the delivery man was unloading. It made my mum’s day!

hulahoop Wed 25-Nov-20 14:20:50

Jennil23 hope things get better for you in the new year .
Think it's a great idea about delivery as long as they are given time to do it .I always smile and pass time of day with people I see on my walks .

Franbern Wed 25-Nov-20 14:40:53

When I first retired, one of the charities I became involved with was delivery hot meals to people. I can remember at my induction being told that a lot of the people who pay out for these daily, are more than able to make themselves meals, but are really wanting someone in their homes to chat to.

So right - I would always try allow a good ten minutes at least so that when I took the meal into their flats, we could have a little chinwag. Even if they were telling me the same thing they told me every other time I called there.

CC90 Wed 25-Nov-20 15:01:41

The “poor checkout operators “ seem to manage to pack in other countries without it being a big deal . It’s part of the job and done very efficiently . Maybe because they stand at the checkout so it’s easy . Same it isn’t the norm here !

CC90 Wed 25-Nov-20 15:02:30

Shame not same sorry!

icanhandthemback Wed 25-Nov-20 15:04:25

As long as Asda actually give their drivers a break. My SIL works for them and he often doesn't get a break even though he is sometimes working from very early in the morning until midnight. I see this as a gimmick to show the public what a wonderful company they are but I suspect it won't go as far as showing their drivers how much they are valued. I think they are a dreadful company to work for...maybe why they lose drivers so often.

Greciangirl Wed 25-Nov-20 15:28:32

I do a click and collect shop from Asda every week.

Last week I noticed that the assistant bringing out my shopping wasn’t wearing a face mask. I was a little shocked, but didn’t mention it.
Instead, I reported it online with a survey they ask you to do.

Callistemon Wed 25-Nov-20 15:42:57

Aepgirl

I had a lovely ‘chat’ on Monday evening with my Waitrose driver. My daughter and her Waitrose driver are now on first name terms!

Waitrose send me a text with the name of the driver who's delivering that day, so we can say "Good morning Jeremy" (or whoever, the last one was Jeremy!).

We've had some nice chats with them and the Tesco drivers but let them determine how long for.

Callistemon Wed 25-Nov-20 15:45:54

CC90

The “poor checkout operators “ seem to manage to pack in other countries without it being a big deal . It’s part of the job and done very efficiently . Maybe because they stand at the checkout so it’s easy . Same it isn’t the norm here !

It is, but a relative of mine is finding it quite hard going to stand for her whole shift and pack. OK for younger people but she's in her 60s.

AGAA4 Wed 25-Nov-20 15:55:15

People have become more aware this year of loneliness. Most of us feel better if we have had a chat to someone and delivery drivers may be the only people some on their own see.

GreenGran78 Wed 25-Nov-20 17:18:06

CC90 and Callinstemon. The checkout staff in Australia stand and pack your bags, but I’m appalled at the number of plastic carrier bags some of them use. I don’t think they like you taking your own bags, as it slows them down.
I’m glad to say that my three families, out there, all take their own bags, regardless of any dirty looks. Thankfully, one or two of the stores seem to be trying to cut back on the plastic bags.