Gransnet forums

Chat

Supporting elderly parents

(6 Posts)
Sarahmob Sat 28-Nov-20 12:16:48

I’m at the end of my tether and really just need a safe space to rant. My elderly parents are really struggling with this lockdown, my dad has dementia and my mum is on medication for depression and they are both in a really bad place. I’ve just had my mum in tears on the phone, begging me to go and see them. She doesn’t seem to understand that even though they haven’t been anywhere so don’t have the virus, I have been going to work and caring for my grandson and therefore I could be carrying it. We are due to be a tier 3 area after lockdown lifts so we are on no household mixing, and because they are a couple, they can’t bubble with anyone.

I’m thoroughly fed up with the virus and restrictions and the whole situation. I’m not looking for advice, I know the right thing to do and am abiding by the rules. I know that all over the country other people will be feeling the same frustrations as me so I’m not looking for sympathy either, I just needed to express my feelings and get it off my chest.

MrsThreadgoode Sat 28-Nov-20 12:23:14

Can you go and sit by their window or wrap up warm and sit in the garden?

It must be so hard for them and upsetting for you.

cornishpatsy Sat 28-Nov-20 12:53:43

Feel so sorry for your mum, could you get some community help and support for her, most towns have something either practical or emotional support.

Surely you could visit keeping your distance or a walk together near their house.

Jaxjacky Sat 28-Nov-20 12:57:40

My heart goes out to you, what a difficult situation. I have no real advice other than hoping you have some support from your immediate family; can you take yourself off for an hour or so? A walk, drive, long soak in the bath, immersion in a film or book, I hope you can find something for you. Tomorrow is another, different day ?
Feel free to shout on here, GN people are good at listening and we all have our own crap days too, so understand a little bit. X

Sarahmob Sat 28-Nov-20 20:28:12

Thank you for your suggestions, just knowing that others understand is helpful.

Lucretzia Sat 28-Nov-20 20:33:51

Hello, Sarahmob

I do feel for you. Many times I've mentioned how glad I am that my parents didn't live to go through this. They both died a few years ago now. But it would have been so difficult.

I could be totally wrong and probably am but is there not a case for people to be able to visit vulnerable relatives?

Rant away, many people here will be in a similar situation.