Gransnet forums

Chat

Celebrate St Andrews Day

(32 Posts)
Granny23 Mon 30-Nov-20 09:39:44

Just that really - Happy St Andrews Day to all Scots, whether by birth, adoption, residence, or simply Choice.

Marydoll Mon 30-Nov-20 09:50:31

Wha's like us? Gey few an they're a deid!

Slàinthe!

silverlining48 Mon 30-Nov-20 09:55:38

Have a nice day to all in and from Scotland. Is there anything particular that you do to celebrate!?

Marydoll Mon 30-Nov-20 10:02:25

When I was teaching we would dedicate a whole day, as many schools do, to it.
Staff and pupils dressed in tartan and we would have a St. Andrew's day concert. where each class had to contribute a song, poem or dance. Parents were invited and they loved it!
We always had quite a few pupils who were Highland dancers and and those learning the violin would also play, . PE that week, would be devoted to Scottish Country dancing.

There was also a Scottish feast in each class, where pupils would get the chance to taste various Scottish treats.
I loved St Andrew's day, it was hard work organising, but so much fun.

In happier times, many of us would go to a ceilidh.

varian Mon 30-Nov-20 10:03:08

Is St Andrews Day a public holiday in Scotland?. In Glasgow in the early 1950s, I seem to remember having a day off school on 30th November, but we were told it was to celebrate Winston Churchill's birthday.

MawBe Mon 30-Nov-20 10:03:13

Happy St Andrews Day to all Scots from me too!
He is very special saint to me since Paw (DH) and I met in our first term at St A’s , married straight after graduation and were blessed with 47 happy years together until I had to say a last goodbye in our village churchyard three years ago.
Gaudeamus igitur!???????

Ailidh Mon 30-Nov-20 10:09:17

Happy St. Andrew's Day!!

I began learning Gaelic during First Lockdown, so
Là Naomh Anndra!!

Granny23 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:14:28

Sorry this did not attach as expected.

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Nov-20 10:16:03

Happy Saint Andrew's Day!

(Gransnet seems to have a disproportionate amount of Scottish teachers - this is no bad thing!)

My late Grandad was convinced that he was related to William Wallace. I'm not convinced that there is one jot of truth in this.

Have a wonderful day everyone.thankswine

Maw how wonderful to have met at St Andrew's - what did you and Paw read?

(I've just noticed that the Christmas emojis are here, so have a gratuitoustchgrin)

felice Mon 30-Nov-20 10:19:23

Happy St Andrews day, we ritually slaughtered the Haggis yesterday, it kept escaping into the garden but the dog caught it eventually.
It was a juicy very tasty beast, and we celebrated it's short life with a toast o' the craiture.

Anniebach Mon 30-Nov-20 10:33:52

Happy Saint Andrew’s Day x

Alegrias2 Mon 30-Nov-20 10:43:17

Lovely sentiments Granny23 Happy St Andrews Day to you too.

Extract from one of my favourite poems about Scotland, by Alexander Gray:

This is my country, The land that begat me.
These windy spaces Are surely my own.
And those who toil here In the sweat of their faces
Are flesh of my flesh, And bone of my bone.

This picture of a windy space is for you MawB.

Callistemon Mon 30-Nov-20 10:46:16

Happy St Andrew's Day to all Scots wherever you are. There are quite a lot of Scottish exiles around this area but I won't be seeing any of them at the moment, unfortunately.

thistle

Largolass Mon 30-Nov-20 10:48:21

Happy St Andrew's Day !

J52 Mon 30-Nov-20 11:29:37

Happy St Andrew’s day ??????? From Lockdown in England! Hope to be back soon to my wee highland hame.

Grannybags Mon 30-Nov-20 11:37:02

Happy St Andrew's Day!

I'm English but related to the Armstrongs, Border Reivers.

annodomini Mon 30-Nov-20 12:12:24

Happy St Andrews Day to all Scots grans, exiled and at home. Especially thinking of fellow St Andreans, like Maw.
??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ??????? ???????

Grandmabatty Mon 30-Nov-20 12:18:23

Happy St Andrew's day to all, Scots and non Scots alike! It was a public holiday in some councils but not everywhere. I worked in a secondary school and we didn't do anything to celebrate. As a family I would have haggis towers for starters, then steak pie then tablet ice cream or raspberries with toasted oats for dessert.

paddyanne Mon 30-Nov-20 12:29:04

Happy St Andrews day ,I have my Saltire flying in the back garden .My GD's school usually has a St Andrews concert and meal ,my lovely weeGD sang all ten verses of Ye Canny Shove yer Granny aff a Bus ,in her English accent and had us all in knots .Very proud granny though she was the only P1 who performed on their own .Lockdown means no concert this year.Have a great day

paddyanne Mon 30-Nov-20 12:33:31

Alegrias No idea why but I sung that to the tune of Scotland Will Flourish ...its not the lyrics ...is it?

Alegrias2 Mon 30-Nov-20 12:40:48

Ooohh, I don't think it is paddyanne. I just had to Google the lyrics and they are different. Similar good sentiments though.

We're a' Jock Tamson's bairns.

jacq10 Mon 30-Nov-20 12:41:34

Happy St Andrew's Day to all. Mince and tatties tonight for DGS (he's not fond of haggis!). I'm glad he's with me tonight as I've been struggling with so many memories of DH at this and other occasions. He was a fine singer and always in demand for a song. Sadly, Marydoll, like many other school activities our St Andrew's Day concerts are not being held. Granda's bunnet and tartan scarf are still in the cupboard!! I attach (I hope) DGS invitation to his first one which he wrote aged 3yr old! I was there although not mentioned on invitation - he and Granda adored each other so I always played second fiddle!!!

Urmstongran Mon 30-Nov-20 13:14:16

That’s so cute jacq10!

Happy St Andrew’s day from me to all our Scottish grans!
???????

grannyqueenie Mon 30-Nov-20 13:33:00

Another exiled Scot here, Happy St Andrew’s Day everyone!
If you look closely and with a good imagination you may see a St Andrew’s Cross in the sky....then again you may not, but it made me smile on a Lockdown day in May! ???????

Parsley3 Mon 30-Nov-20 13:48:40

Happy St Andrew’s Day everyone. ???????????????????????????????????