Gransnet forums

Chat

Finding things in odd places.

(65 Posts)
NanKate Mon 30-Nov-20 21:08:26

I have glasses for daily use plus computer glasses. This morning I couldn’t find my daily glasses I hadn’t been anywhere so I knew they were somewhere hiding in the house. I literally searched every nook and cranny to no avail. When I went to remove my cold hot water bottle from the bottom of the bed, there were my glasses covered up by the duvet. ?

Then I couldn’t find my facial wipes which I had used the previous day. Yet again a thorough search of the house including inside the bed ! Eventually I found the packet in the bin with the used facial wipe.

What a Wally ?

Please make me feel better by telling me you do daft things like this.

tanith Mon 30-Nov-20 21:18:32

Whenever I lose my glasses I inevitably find them on my head, so why do I never check there first ?.

Chewbacca Mon 30-Nov-20 21:25:40

Just this evening, I drove to Tesco Express to pick up a bottle of milk. On getting out of the car, I took my glasses off and put them in my coat pocket or so I thought, put my face mask on, put my purse and car keys in the other pocket and went into the shop. When I came out I couldn't find my glasses anywhere; searched pockets, car, went back into the shop, couldn't find them anywhere. Decided that I must have driven to the shop without them so got back in the car and reversed out of parking space. CRUNCH! Got out to find shattered glasses under the wheel of my car. angrysad

Jaxjacky Mon 30-Nov-20 22:06:27

NanKate you’re not the only one, car keys are my problem, I’m supposed to put them back in handbag side pocket, mostly I do, which lulls me into a false sense of security for when I don’t. Coat pocket, side in kitchen, panic...and is usually when DH is present. We multitask, so our brain is onto the next thing, my excuse anyway!

V3ra Mon 30-Nov-20 22:08:13

If I ever lose my glasses, I can't see to find them without them on.
If you see what I mean ?

Rosezeta Mon 30-Nov-20 23:03:51

Oh belive me your not on your own i have had my house io side down looking for my glasses even had my daughter looking upatairs after i had a shower between the two of us we couldnt find them until my daughter burst into laughter when she spotted the bread in the kitchen put on the micro wave when she lifted bread bin their was my glasses i coukd go on on about weird things lol lol

MayBee70 Mon 30-Nov-20 23:12:06

I made a load of leek and sweet potato soup (saw the recipe on here so thought I’d try it). Knew I had enough left for lunch the following day and searched everywhere for it. Decided I must have used it all up the previous day. A few days later found it on the work surface above the fridge behind some potatoes. Must have taken it out of the fridge when I was looking for something else. At least I knew my memory had been correct regarding having some soup left but still felt daft. And it scuppered my zero waste policy. I was always losing that little pen thingy that I use on my iPad until I attached it to it with a piece of ribbon.

BlueSapphire Tue 01-Dec-20 21:18:48

The Avon catalogue appeared in the freezer....

Georgesgran Tue 01-Dec-20 21:30:36

My DH has lost the remote control for the garage door today. He swears he didn’t take it out of the house - but admits he was in and out of the garage several times.
He keeps trying to blame me, but I never set foot outside.

We’ve had the house upside down, but not a trace. I’ve actually checked in the garage freezers and his toolbox already.

Nannytopsy Tue 01-Dec-20 23:08:15

We going the missing house keys in the freezer - eventually!

Nannytopsy Tue 01-Dec-20 23:08:47

Found not going!! ?

Coolgran65 Tue 01-Dec-20 23:19:41

Lost a birthday card when unpacking shopping. Found it days later in the freezer. After buying another card !!

Hetty58 Wed 02-Dec-20 00:41:16

I do it all the time NanKate! It's not a memory problem, it's an attention problem. I'm thinking of other things, not concentrating on what I'm doing.

Often, I'm unsure if I've just done something - or just thought about doing it. For example, I'll put the spread back in the fridge, then find my toast is dry as I didn't use it. I'll pour hot water in the mug - but there's no coffee in it.

I sometimes can't remember if I fed the dog (she'll always behave as if she's starving) so I've made a wooden counter with AM and PM to turn over when I have!

yggdrasil Wed 02-Dec-20 09:26:21

georgesgran: have you checked all his pockets?
A long time ago I went for a 5 day course. and my (now ex) had to move his car so I could leave.
When I got back, it was to be confronted by an irate man demanding what I had done with his car keys, he had had to borrow our son's car for a week.
Remembering he had come out in his dressing gown to move the car, I asked if he had checked those pockets.
I got no apologies for blame or bad temper. The whole thing was ignored from then on :-)

lemsip Wed 02-Dec-20 09:52:20

I too have found my car keys in the freezer! I must have 'scooped' them up with the frozen shopping when putting it in the freezer!
When searching for them soon after, I done what I tell others to do, which is, look where you 'know' you wouldn't have put the item! After searching pockets etc the freezer was the place!

JudyAnn63 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:00:29

Yep! Last night after making my last cuppa of the night, I was putting the milk in the cupboard under the stairs...next to the fridge! And witnessed by my long-suffering husband! It was clearly time to go to bed...

NannyJan53 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:01:00

It is definitely an attention problem. I am forever putting my glasses down, then seconds later cannot remember where they are.

Years ago I had arrived home from work, and dashed out to bring the washing in as it had started to rain. For a couple of weeks after I couldn't find my house keys. The next time I put washing on the line, there they were in the peg bag! I was in my late forties then,

I was babysitting for DD once, I arrived home to a phone call of "do you know where our TV remote is?" It turned out to be in my handbag! hmm

Naesodaft Wed 02-Dec-20 10:02:51

I once lost my handbag and found it in the chest freezer, lost my glasses another time and found them a few days later under the windscreen wiper!

Moggycuddler Wed 02-Dec-20 10:04:44

I do stuff like that all the time and often wonder if I'm going demented.

DotMH1901 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:06:07

My daughter and two eldest grandchildren constantly lose things around the house - luckily I have a spare set of keys for my daughter's car and for all the external doors in the house. My grandson once came home from school in his football boots because he had lost his shoes in school! Never did find them. School books, gym clothes, bags, hats/scarves/gloves, books, jumpers all seem to have a life of their own (well, at least according to DD and GC who swear they put them in xxxx place). Fortunately my younger GD is very good at finding 'lost' items too so between us we usually manage to sort them out - usually to a cry of 'how did that get there?' and often an accusatory look as if we had hidden them on purpose!

glammanana Wed 02-Dec-20 10:10:21

Coolgran65 Same thing happened to me last week after remembering to buy the birthday cards for this month and next I came to write DGS's and no sign of it after replacing it I found the lost one in amongst the wrapping paper I had bought so much for being organised.hmm

crazygranny Wed 02-Dec-20 10:10:33

My keys spend much of their day hiding from me.

25Avalon Wed 02-Dec-20 10:11:04

V3ra I keep a spare pair of old glasses in a special place so that if I mislay my regular pair I will be able to see to find them!

A set of car keys went missing once and I accused dh. About a year later I found them in the pocket of a coat I rarely wear! Humble pie was on the menu!

timetogo2016 Wed 02-Dec-20 10:11:46

Oh i am so glad it`s not just me.
I lost a bowl of cereal,searched all over and eventualy found it in the microwave all soggy.
And i usually find my glasses whilst looking for my car keys.

Missfoodlove Wed 02-Dec-20 10:12:50

I bought some resistance bands for home exercise and put them somewhere never to be seen again.
Until......child number 3 arrived home last night, he lives overseas and hasn’t been home in a year, he’s like a truffle pig going around the house looking for hidden goodies.
First thing this morning he produced the bands and asked why were they in the coffee table drawer and had I bought them for him?
I lied ?