Gransnet forums

Chat

Been in lockdown too long!

(35 Posts)
Sunny82z Mon 30-Nov-20 22:47:32

Has anybody else noticed that when people are being interviewed from their homes via zoom, on the news for example their nostrils seem oddly prominent;. I find it strangely distracting now that I have noticed.

Lilypops Mon 30-Nov-20 22:56:36

It’s because the screen is lower than their body that you can see up their nose !! When I am on zoom , I rest my iPad on Mary Berry.s home cooking book , it’s just the right height for not seeing up my nose

Lilypops Mon 30-Nov-20 22:57:56

I also have bookshelf envy. Everyone interviewed seems to have a fabulous display of books. Or are they all just fakes!,

MayBee70 Mon 30-Nov-20 22:59:24

I’m too busy trying to figure out what books they have on their shelves to notice their noses. And then I think about where in my house I would position myself. And which books I would have on my shelf.

Liz46 Tue 01-Dec-20 07:59:21

I can’t remember how I did it but I am in outer space when on Zoom. My daughter was quite impressed!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Dec-20 08:08:25

I think I would get together all my academic books behind me to make me seem intelligent. On the other hand I might choose the arty, cultural farty books I have to make me seem avant garde or I could collect all the really good literature books I have collected over the years, or maybe a collection of travel literature to make me seem well travelled?.

What I wouldn’t show are the chick lit books I have, or cookery books or anything to do with the home, like diy books etc.

Grandma70s Tue 01-Dec-20 08:12:21

I think it was Dan Walker who admitted he had rearranged his bookshelves in order to make himself appear more intelligent.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 01-Dec-20 08:55:42

Grandma70s

I think it was Dan Walker who admitted he had rearranged his bookshelves in order to make himself appear more intelligent.

?

Toadinthehole Tue 01-Dec-20 09:08:15

Liz, our daughter and son-in-law have many different backgrounds too. They have the outer space one for sure. Can’t say I’ve noticed the nose thing. I will look out now!

phoenix Tue 01-Dec-20 09:49:33

Mr P once did a whole team meeting webcam thing with the Bridge of The Starship Enterprise as his back drop.

I threatened to buy him the outfit and a set of Spock ears to complete the look!

jenni123 Tue 01-Dec-20 09:56:58

I seem to have developed a thing about noticing people's ears and how sticky out they are (or not as the case maybe). I have no idea what brought this to my attention in the first place but now it is the first thing I notice.

missdeke Tue 01-Dec-20 10:13:13

I notice ears too, some people have no earlobes to speak off and some have huge almost see through tops of the ears, especially noticeable if they have protruding too. grin

Mohum Tue 01-Dec-20 10:31:49

As our group are all oldies, I notice the wrinkles and the fact that they are all thinner than me?

B9exchange Tue 01-Dec-20 10:44:12

Happens with selfies too if you get the wrong angle. DGS aged 20 months was taking selfies of himself, and he has a very large nose and bloated face! grin

Lucretzia Tue 01-Dec-20 10:52:56

Years ago when selfies were just starting, the advice was always to hold your phone/camera in the air and look upwards. Gave for a more attractive look apparently.

As for books on shelves I'd be very happy to have all my trashy paperback novels on display

Aepgirl Tue 01-Dec-20 11:20:30

My choir is producing a Zoom Christmas concert and we have been ‘schooled’ on how to look our best on screen. Apparently we should have our eyes level with the camera, and look at the camera, not the screen. This way we look straight ahead, not up or down, and so get a ‘full face’ on the screen.

eazybee Tue 01-Dec-20 11:26:54

I gather from a recent radio programme that people are having plastic surgery because of how they look on Zoom.

Kim19 Tue 01-Dec-20 11:38:58

Thanks. Can't say I've noticed this but it will now pay attention. Don't know if that's a good or bad idea! I purposely have a bland and plain backdrop when zooming. Saves distracting nosey people from the topic of conversation. Seem to remember the journalist Sarah Vine took all sorts of public abuse for some curtains she dared to let be seen. Plastic surgery? Well.....nothing surprises me really.

JdotJ Tue 01-Dec-20 12:17:02

?

PamelaJ1 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:22:57

I have 3 younger sisters and I am gratified that they all look so much older than me. Good job that I can’t see their screens?
Andy Murray seemed to have a netball hoop on his wall. I must have been seeing things?

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 12:23:02

I never get background on mine, just the ceiling !!

Paperbackwriter Tue 01-Dec-20 12:27:24

Whitewavemark2

I think I would get together all my academic books behind me to make me seem intelligent. On the other hand I might choose the arty, cultural farty books I have to make me seem avant garde or I could collect all the really good literature books I have collected over the years, or maybe a collection of travel literature to make me seem well travelled?.

What I wouldn’t show are the chick lit books I have, or cookery books or anything to do with the home, like diy books etc.

Why are people so snobby about rom com books? They are the biggest selling genre after crime so obviously masses of people like them (thank goodness!). Never be ashamed of what makes you happy!

Camelotclub Tue 01-Dec-20 12:36:53

I would never go on Zoom. I've put tape over my camera eyes on the desktop and laptop. Don't want Zuckerberg to spy on me!

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 12:38:52

Camelotclub

I would never go on Zoom. I've put tape over my camera eyes on the desktop and laptop. Don't want Zuckerberg to spy on me!

???

Doodledog Tue 01-Dec-20 12:48:31

I think Zuckerberg has better things to do than to spy on me {grin], but I also cover the lens on the laptop, as it is possible for criminals to get remote access to someone else's camera.

For the same reason, I won't have things like Hive or a doorbell with an Internet-enabled camera. I don't want Alexa either, but for different reasons.