Gransnet forums

Chat

Made-up Sayings

(105 Posts)
FannyCornforth Fri 04-Dec-20 11:20:00

Hello Everyone tchsmile
As per title really.

I think that everyone has these in their family, or between themself and their spouse.

One that I regularly use is
"The weasel's share", meaning the smaller portion of two; ie the opposite of "the lion's share".

Tell us and yours, and we can add them to our lexicon!

timetogo2016 Fri 04-Dec-20 14:49:55

I`ts in the thingymagig by the you know what.
It drives my dh mad.

tanith Fri 04-Dec-20 15:28:54

When DH was young he and his 3 brothers always tried to put off bedtime by whining they were just watching the adverts, Dad would then say "Never mind the adverts, advert off to bed". He would often say it to me at bedtime he would always laugh himself silly every time.

cornergran Fri 04-Dec-20 17:08:05

We have an ‘oojamyflip’, a close relation to timetogo’s thingymagig. Otherwise it’s the whatsit in the thingy - or indeed the thingy in the whatsit. It’s a wonder we find anything. grin.

CherryCezzy Fri 04-Dec-20 17:16:18

I have one on a variation of six of one and half a dozen of the other. Instead I say six of one and five and seven eight's of the other. It's a quibble over fractions.

Georgesgran Sat 05-Dec-20 08:26:15

Our house motto is ‘a journey upstairs empty handed is a wasted journey’. Surprisingly we all know it, but seems only I do it!

Georgesgran Sat 05-Dec-20 08:27:25

Should that be ‘don’t do it??’ I’m sure you get the gist!

Gingster Sat 05-Dec-20 08:35:29

My DM used to say ‘ they’re throwing their money around, like a man with no arms’ ?

Lucca Sat 05-Dec-20 08:56:46

I heard of someone who used to say “is the pope a Dutchman “

Rosyanne Sat 05-Dec-20 09:42:51

We link little fingers and say, ' that's a pinkie promise' and once made never broken.

Americanpie Sat 05-Dec-20 09:54:03

We had a few in our family, one was "hasn't our cat got a long tale" that was when one of us wouldn't stop rabbiting on about something (hence the spelling) and the other was "I'm going round the back at Jossie's yard". That meant "I'm off out and don't ask me where I'm going". The men would also say "I'm just going to turn my bike round" when they were off to the loo.

nipsmum Sat 05-Dec-20 09:54:46

My son in law said he didn't understand Six of one and 1/2 a dozen of the other. He always said 6 of one and 9 of 3 we still say that. He insists its just random numbers.

Notsooldat75 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:03:23

Our family, when describing something complicated would use the phrase ‘fandangle’.
Also, forgetting the name of something, it became the ‘doohickey’.

razzmatazz Sat 05-Dec-20 10:06:45

" Don't tell it"

This was one of my husband's favourite sayings . If you use something for which it is not intended but will do the job we say " Don't tell it"
For example if you use bathroom cleaner spray in your kitchen instead of kitchen spray he would say " Don't tell it " meaning don't tell the spray that you shouldn't be using that spray . It's amazing how many situations it applies to. Silly but it has us in hysterics. Now my son in law uses it. I said it when I was using a knife to unscrew a screw and my son in law told me off jokingly. I said " Don't tell it" and we all fell about.

Tallyann1 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:06:49

If someone ask .. where are you going.. the reply is .. up nuck Sparra catchin.. god only knows where that came from!!

MawBe Sat 05-Dec-20 10:08:56

We always took “swanjets” on a picnic and sucked “Charlie Buggers” in the car.
Raised an eyebrow when asked for in a petrol station.

(Barley Sugars, in case you didn’t get it )

grannygranby Sat 05-Dec-20 10:09:58

I have sadly just informed my son who lives in a different city, married in mid forties, three young children , that my beloved 10 year old dog seems to have a cancerous growth.

The point is he replied (on messenger)

‘Oh no! Sending lots of Christmas love.’

Christmas love?

Has the world gone mad?
If only he’d said ‘sending lots of love’

What do you think Grans? Do you think it’s odd or is it me?

Flossie121 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:10:03

Ours was a variation of that - Use your head and save your legs...

Boolya Sat 05-Dec-20 10:10:16

Coming from Geordie stock, my Mum, when surprised by something would say, “well I’ll go to Shields.” I have no idea if it was the north or south one!

Thisismyname1953 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:14:49

My dad used to say that he was ‘going to see a man about a dog’ , when we weren’t to ask where he was going .

Patticake123 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:18:32

My dearest MiL would say ‘Let’s be about right about this’ I was never really sure what she meant. When we moved to the West Midlands I was fascinated by the saying ‘ I played my face’. I’d never heard it before but it so clearly describes what a person does to get their own way!

Moggycuddler Sat 05-Dec-20 10:18:33

Many years ago a friend was visiting us with her little boy. He saw some tomatoes in our kitchen, pointed to them and said something that sounded very much like "tommy farters". Ever since that's what they are known as in our house, and even our daughter says it, who wasn't even born at the time. "A cheese and Tommy farter quiche".

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 05-Dec-20 10:21:28

I often used to overhear a lady on the bus to work say, 'it just shows to go you' and I was never sure if it was an accidental Spoonersim or on purpose.

I've been told that I've got a 'tea belly' as I consume too much - but really, is that possible?

Moggycuddler Sat 05-Dec-20 10:23:11

grannygranby

I have sadly just informed my son who lives in a different city, married in mid forties, three young children , that my beloved 10 year old dog seems to have a cancerous growth.

The point is he replied (on messenger)

‘Oh no! Sending lots of Christmas love.’

Christmas love?

Has the world gone mad?
If only he’d said ‘sending lots of love’

What do you think Grans? Do you think it’s odd or is it me?

That was odd. Yes. But I'm sure he meant it nicely. Men don't think! :-)

lulusmf Sat 05-Dec-20 10:39:13

My darling Mum, gone 7 years and missed every day would always say if we were doing something she didnt approve of....if you fall and break your leg dont come running to me!!