Gransnet forums

Chat

What are you doing today?

(70 Posts)
Berylsgranny Mon 11-Jan-21 11:22:54

I was out at a B & M store this morning at 8 to collect a few craft materials for DGC to occupy themselves with. I've since had a tea and biscuit and looked for more Art and Craft materials online. DH has been up the attic and found a lot that we will def never use again and now sitting in garage where they will sit until we can dispose permanently of everything. It's only 11.20. I intend to make a nice curry in the slow cooker after lunch. I'm sure there must be more exciting things to do!

Gransey Mon 11-Jan-21 12:12:55

Hi Berylsgranny I’m fairly newly retired (for the 2nd time) and am a bit of a loss as how to keep busy since Christmas is over and done with. My lovely partner is a very busy Postie working 6 days a week at the moment and requested a coffee cake today. It’s in the oven. Going to do a 2nd “walking” workout on YouTube this afternoon then crack on with my book. Tempted to go back to work again if I thought there was genuine need for vaccinators?

nanna8 Mon 11-Jan-21 12:28:05

Went for a walk with a few friends then sat and had coffees under a tree. Came home and did some gardening, went for a swim and enjoyed the sunshine.Lovely day today.

Nannylovesshopping Mon 11-Jan-21 12:37:01

Oohhh, my favourite job first thing, picking up the spaniels poos? made a Cherry Madeira cake, highlight of the day as to whether the cherries have sunk, am now going to relearn last weeks Spanish course, I used to be fairly bright, but oh dear, I’m really struggling, and it’s only week two, the course moves a bit fast for me, can’t seem to work out how to revise before it moves on..... now all I can think about is a bacon ??

tanith Mon 11-Jan-21 13:47:07

Nanna8 you really went for a walk with friends and sat having coffee? I’m speechless. That’s assuming you are living in this country.
I’ve been for a long walk alone spent an hour cross stitching a few bits around the house, added some bits to my Tesco click and collect order and now I’m having some chicken soup and will read my book.

ninathenana Mon 11-Jan-21 13:58:01

tanith that shocked me too. I also wondered where the OP had managed a swim.
Would love to know what country this is.

Berylsgranny Mon 11-Jan-21 14:24:16

nanna8

Went for a walk with a few friends then sat and had coffees under a tree. Came home and did some gardening, went for a swim and enjoyed the sunshine.Lovely day today.

Sounds great - you are not on lockdown then?

Greyduster Mon 11-Jan-21 14:27:24

We were out early for what turned out to be a very muddy walk across the fields and along the river, and then I have been making fish pies for the freezer (better than a fishy walk and mud pies I suppose!). May sit and read later.

BigBertha1 Mon 11-Jan-21 14:30:56

We went to register with a new dentist. Very surprised to have a 45 minute consultation each with x rays, dental photographs and a discussion on Invisalign, implants and whitening. Very thorough but wow I wasn't expecting that. No treatment needed to day we were both all fine but now have serious doubts about what we thought were teeth in good nick. quick pop into Waitrose for me for bread and veg and straight home.

keepingquiet Mon 11-Jan-21 16:47:57

I've been working from home. Very frustrating as it is a second day's work for which I won't be paid!
I video-called with my baby granddaughter at breakfast time and watched her having her porridge- delightful!

I spoke to a couple of friends on the phone and I've almost finished washing my pots!

I have also put in a few more pieces of my jig-saw puzzle.

Lockdown? Nothing's changed for me!

Georgesgran Mon 11-Jan-21 20:42:01

Nanna8 - please come back and tell us where you are.

nanna8 Mon 11-Jan-21 23:34:22

I’m in Melbourne Australia and feeling for all you ladies because we had 6 months of lockdown and hoping never to have to go through it again. It is our Summer now and it is so,so nice to be relatively free though we still all wear masks indoors at shops etc

Berylsgranny Tue 12-Jan-21 07:31:00

Thank you for coming back to us nanna8. That explains. Yes we are all so loooking forward to getting back to normal or at least semi-normal would even do. Enjoy your freedom!.

CanadianGran Tue 12-Jan-21 08:12:21

I have fallen into a routine of slow breakfast/coffee,, then exercise, housecleaning, lunch, walk, sit for a bit, then go to work at 3:45

A bit boring, but that's ok. I do phone calls/facetime to catch up and look forward to summertime when hopefully quite a few people are vaccinated so we can get out.

nanna8 Tue 12-Jan-21 08:24:13

Didn’t do much today. Went and bought a present for our grandson’s 18th, more gardening, talked on the phone to a couple of friends and did a bit of work on the computer. It is evening for us and I am watching ‘Bargain Hunt’

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Jan-21 08:28:00

Raining? so have decided to sort out the plants in the conservatory, perhaps repot and top up with compost etc. I will struggle to get the mother-in-laws tongue out of its pot, it likes to be pot bound but had grown enormously this year and has broken its pot. Then clean the shelves.

That’s this morning. This afternoon I think I might do a bit of water colouring, see how I feel. Might just read.

The rest of the day is usual housework, cooking sort of day.

M0nica Tue 12-Jan-21 08:30:05

DH was discharged from hospital last week, probably a week or more before he should have been, because of COVID.

He doesn't need nursing or caring, more just helping with everything, from getting washed and dressed, to managing medication. He has 14 medications, which I have on a table in alphabetical order, plus a spread sheet I have made of what he has when. In between times I do my usual household and home management tasks.

Today we have builders in, or rather in the back garden digging a trench. Normally I would offer them hot drinks and access to our cloakroom, which is right beside the back door, but as DH has to use a downstairs loo, I cannot do that, nor can I risk even offering hot drinks on a wet miserable day like today.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 12-Jan-21 08:52:08

Monica, I was in exactly the same position with my DH a few years ago, but gradually his strength and optimism returned and now he hasn’t looked back. Out tramping the Downs twice a day, something we never imagined would ever happen.

Slowly, slowly wins the race?

Soupy Tue 12-Jan-21 08:57:56

Today I will be doing washing, ironing, probably making a cake and then, after lunch, some music practice to get to grips with a tune I need to play for a Zoom session tomorrow.

Regular Zoom session tonight, at which I've been volunteered to play a tune of my choice, and then some catch up tv.

All good.

B9exchange Tue 12-Jan-21 09:02:56

Driving over to pick up two GC and bringing them back here so our poor daughter can work in peace, home schooling them (I dread the PE!) then bringing them home and cooking a meal for all five of us. There's a Health Service Retirement Fellowship talk on 'A Policeman's lot is not a happy one' that I would love to watch, but I may be immersed in timing maths challenges instead!

MiniMoon Tue 12-Jan-21 09:05:21

Today has started off bright and sunny with frost -2°c. I might go for a walk later if it stays fine.
This morning, washing, making lunch and general housework.
I'm tempted by the last piece of lemon meringue pie, left over from yesterday, but I'm resisting as I'm trying (and failing) to lose weight.

Maggiemaybe Tue 12-Jan-21 09:20:22

We were supposed to be looking after DGS6 today for a rare few hours, but we’ve been stood down as he’s thoroughly miserable with his first cold, so his dad’s not going into work after all.

Back to Groundhog Day number goodness knows what then. A spot of housework, reading, walking, YouTube exercise, jigsaw. Maybe reconciling the bank statement with my spreadsheet for a special treat. Oh, and it’s the deadline today for my Fantasy Football team transfers. I’ve to leave them till the last minute just in case of COVID-related changes. And more Traces and the Pembrokeshire Murders tonight.

Lucretzia Tue 12-Jan-21 09:24:59

Today? So far I've met up with George Clooney to walk the dogs. Am just awaiting my masseuse to work his wonders and lunch is a fabulous Parisian restaurant with 5 of my best friends.

Later on I shall visit the ballet and then I might just go on a party boat on the Seine.

In reality I am watching Jeremy Vine and shall have my daily phone call with one of my pals who is struggling. Later on I'll head off to the woods with my small dog and that's about it.

hilz Tue 12-Jan-21 10:00:48

Some housework. Now a breakfast break and watching BBC Bitesize Science just to get an understanding of what the grandchildren can learn from it.. Will walk around the local streets later. I have a little route through housing estate past a couple of green areas that also includes a steep road as i return home Only a couple of miles but at least it gets me out then relax for an hour after and read a book. Facetime grandchildren for storytime then Tv evening with catch up calls and facetime with a friend so we can watch tv and have a cuppa together.. albeit seperatly in our own homes we find that it feels like we are in the same room.

henetha Tue 12-Jan-21 11:22:13

Click and collect today. First one since well before Christmas so quite large. It will take all my energy so not doing much else.