Gransnet forums

Chat

When my New Wig Arrives from Amazon

(22 Posts)
Alexa Fri 15-Jan-21 16:04:35

Bought it because I thought an occasion would arise when I needed to look ten years younger.
That occasion will not now arise but there may be others.

BTW is it immoral to buy a wig made of human hair? I had scruples so mine is synthetic, but will be viewed from a social distance so that is all right.

Alishka Fri 15-Jan-21 16:18:39

Can't see that a human hair wig should be immoral? The hair was sold for money. Years ago, when the chances of me losing all my hair was high, I bought a real hair wig ready for the time.. As it happened, I didn't, so it was with great relief I gave it to my nephews for their dressing up box.

B9exchange Fri 15-Jan-21 16:19:28

Why should it be immoral to wear a wig made of human hair?
A bit about the process here blog.baldgirlsdolunch.org/how-human-hair-wigs-are-made-q-a-human-hair-wig-manufacturer

I hope you look stunning, and it gives you many years of joy!

3dognight Fri 15-Jan-21 16:22:04

Why do you think you need a wig Alexa?

I'm not sure of the morality of wearing another's hair. I do know a whole hair gathering industry has grown up around real hair wigs, there was something on T V about it not so long ago, but I was only half watching so can't remember much.

I can only think that a wig real or synthetic would make my scalp itch!

BlueBelle Fri 15-Jan-21 16:26:42

Well they don’t kill the person to harvest the hair and the person is paid for selling it (maybe not enough) so I can’t imagine it to be immoral

Kate1949 Fri 15-Jan-21 16:42:28

My hair system is real hair.

lemongrove Fri 15-Jan-21 16:50:34

I see nothing immoral in it ( or amoral either)
Nobody is forced to sell their hair, but unsure of the need as modern synthetic ones seem to look good ( the more expensive ones particularly.)
You could wear it outside instead of a hat.?

ninathenana Fri 15-Jan-21 17:52:10

I've thought about buying a wig due to having very fine thin hair that just dosen't hold a style
I wonder if it would be uncomfortable itchy etc. and what would friends and family say the first time I went out

MayBee70 Fri 15-Jan-21 18:10:54

I find them hot and itchy. Then again I can’t wear wool and itch even at the thought of wearing it. On the rare occasion that I have worn one outside of the house no one has noticed: I deliberately stopped colouring my hair so I could wear a grey wig. I think the reason why I’m self conscious about it is that I tend to look at other people’s hair because of my own lack of it and sometimes wonder if someone is wearing a wig. I think real hair wigs are more high maintenance as you have to wash and style them. I did wear a wig to my daughters birthday party and felt fabulous: the reason being it was a Peaky Blinders party and I was able to wear a 20’s dark brown bob wig that everyone knew was a wig. It was actually a really cheap one from a make up shop.

Calendargirl Fri 15-Jan-21 18:11:35

Remember telling a customer how nice her hair looked. She was very pleased.
Her husband later told me that (unknown to me) she had lost her hair due to cancer treatment, and it was a wig.
Apparently my remark made her day.

GagaJo Fri 15-Jan-21 18:16:13

ninathenana

I've thought about buying a wig due to having very fine thin hair that just dosen't hold a style
I wonder if it would be uncomfortable itchy etc. and what would friends and family say the first time I went out

I had a wig when I was bald from cancer. Wore it once. Hot. Itchy. I was constantly pulling it down because it didn't stay in place.

I went bald in the end. I also have very thin hair, because it didn't all come back after cancer, but I've decided not to care.

Elegran Fri 15-Jan-21 18:44:22

Wigs were in fashion for a while when I was young, probably in the sixties. I bought one, but only wore it a couple of times. Hot and itchy, as others have said, and when you take it off, your own hair is squashed flat and sweaty. Useful when your hair is a mess and you don't have time or inclination to fix it, but you then are forced to wash your own hair as it looks even worse than before. Also useful of course if you have thin hair or none at all.

petra Fri 15-Jan-21 18:45:40

My hair thinned terrible a couple of years ago so as I'm so vain and appearance is everything ? I decided to buy a good one ( not real hair) from this salon in Southend.

I did this in lockdown last year. I had a FaceTime consultation where they showed me lots of wigs. I asked if I could take my daughter with me for the face to face. When I tried on all the wigs I'd chosen I didn't like any of them then my daughter brought one out and it was just perfect. So perfect I kept it on and went shopping.

They are very different to older ones. I had one in the 70s when I was a croupier. Every night you had to look top drawer and I got fed up with doing the hair at 7o/clock every nigh. Plus, the damage to the hair.
My friends love my wig.
www.google.co.uk/search?q=wig+shop+in+southend&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari#lkt=LocalPoiPhotos&trex=m_t:lcl_akp,rc_f:rln,rc_ludocids:17323116415532814612,ru_lqi:ChR3aWcgc2hvcCBpbiBzb3V0aGVuZFogCgh3aWcgc2hvcCIUd2lnIHNob3AgaW4gc291dGhlbmSaASNDaFpEU1VoTk1HOW5TMFZKUTBGblNVUkJha3d5T1U5bkVBRQ,ru_phdesc:DXRZX670rMw,trex_id:K9yKFb

Gwyneth Fri 15-Jan-21 18:52:06

I remember wearing hair pieces when I was younger. My hair is very fine and they were great for an updo in the days when we really used to dress up for a night out. I love my jeans and jumpers but it would be really lovely to have the opportunity in the future to really dress up again.

Gwyneth Fri 15-Jan-21 18:53:04

Enjoy your wig Alexa when the opportunity arises.

Hellogirl1 Fri 15-Jan-21 21:09:47

I had a synthetic wig in the early 70s, but although it looked lovely when my friend styled it for , I could never get it to look as nice when I did it. I t got some very odd looks from neighbours when I washed it and hung it out on the line to dry!

Alexa Mon 18-Jan-21 13:46:13

Thanks, Gwyneth. I don't enjoy trying to impress by looking younger than I am but sometimes it is better to be pragmatic.

timetogo2016 Mon 18-Jan-21 13:57:59

It isn`t immoral Alexa,the people who the hair comes from gets paid for it.
Win win all around i say.
Happy wig time will come and you will feel on top of the world.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Mon 18-Jan-21 14:01:45

When I had cancer I bought a wig (in fact, two) and mostly they were comfortable - it's all in the fit. Synthetic is cheaper and easier to look after. They were almost undetectable from the real thing. The best thing is that a wig never has a 'bad hair day' - in fact that could be a giveaway - they're almost too good to be true. There's nothing immoral about real hair wigs.

Mogsmaw Mon 18-Jan-21 14:13:40

When my hair was long and I decided to go short my daughter’s friend, a hairdresser, plaited it before cutting. This was how the charity that made wigs for children wanted it. My hair is very very fine so there wasn’t a lot of it but it was donated willingly.
So, mot immoral.

Grammaretto Mon 18-Jan-21 14:32:14

Wear it and enjoy it! I'm sure you will look fabulous.
I wore a wig , borrowed from DD who had been given it as a fun present, for the Millennium party.
It was purple and sparkly and a bit of fun. I was chatted to and up all evening and had a great night.
So there is truth that blondes or girls in blue wigs have more fun!
You guessed it- it's in the dressing up box now.

Alexa Tue 19-Jan-21 09:54:44

Grammaretto, for me there is a moral lesson in your story. I am quite serious! If I behave purple and sparkly I and others will have more fun,