Gransnet forums

Chat

Manchester Arena victim’s family told she 'could have been saved'

(30 Posts)
ixion Mon 18-Jan-21 16:31:50

Does this really help bring closure?
To learn that your child did not die instantly as you were first told, but rather called for her Mummy and asked if she was going to die?
And that she may have survived with better care and treatment?
I find this whole episode deeply upsetting.
Or is it just me?

Susan56 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:36:30

I thought exactly the same as you ixion.Surely this will add to the family’s grief not help them.

GagaJo Mon 18-Jan-21 16:43:27

Poor, poor little girl. And terribly poor family, too.

It would have been kinder not to share that with them.

Shropshirelass Mon 18-Jan-21 16:44:12

It is upsetting. Also a bit puzzling. If the poor little girl had lost so much blood in the first hour then I am surprised she made it that far. It must have been horrendous for the first medics who arrived on site, where to start. A nightmare for all concerned and hindsight is a wonderful thing but can’t bring back our loved ones. Very, very sad.

trisher Mon 18-Jan-21 16:51:28

I'm not sure what is wanted from these revelations, or who will benefit. I can see that an internal enqury might have revealed faults in the system, things which could have been done better and would mean improvements in the future. But the paramedics and all the medical staff involved in this must still be devastated and traumatised, as the parents will be. Perhaps they think raising it so publicly will help and improve things for others. All I can think is that such a tragedy for everyone involved should not be the stuff of news headlines.

Galaxy Mon 18-Jan-21 16:51:48

As far as I understand it the family requested an independent report as they had concerns about the information that had been provided, have I got this wrong, I thought it was at the familys request?

AGAA4 Mon 18-Jan-21 16:53:03

I felt quite upset when I heard this as it has just added to the distress of her family. Bad enough to lose her in that way but to find out that there were possibly two chances to save her.
The ambulance didn't have the equipment on board and then again at the hospital a chance was missed so the news said.
The family would have been better off not knowing.

Ellianne Mon 18-Jan-21 16:55:11

I agree. All the platitudes, "we need to learn from this," give way to over reporting every little flaw.
We all do what we can in the moment.

Georgesgran Mon 18-Jan-21 16:56:58

I saw that report with her Daddy last night. It was heartbreaking and I wondered what anguish (for the parents) from the knowledge that not only had they lost their beautiful child, but her death wasn’t instant? On the other hand - I suppose the question of ‘why she wasn’t treated appropriately’ needs to be addressed. It was very sad.

Riverwalk Mon 18-Jan-21 16:58:04

Unfortunately the truth has to come out, no matter how painful.

Like Galaxy as I understand things it is her family who have sought an independent investigation.

lemongrove Mon 18-Jan-21 17:00:43

AGAA4

I felt quite upset when I heard this as it has just added to the distress of her family. Bad enough to lose her in that way but to find out that there were possibly two chances to save her.
The ambulance didn't have the equipment on board and then again at the hospital a chance was missed so the news said.
The family would have been better off not knowing.

Yes absolutely.
The family commissioned the report privately, from what I read, and now probably wish they hadn’t.The whole thing is unbearably sad.

lemongrove Mon 18-Jan-21 17:01:55

Ellianne

I agree. All the platitudes, "we need to learn from this," give way to over reporting every little flaw.
We all do what we can in the moment.

Yes, I agree.

Galaxy Mon 18-Jan-21 17:03:23

I dont think we as outsiders can know that, they may want to ensure that treatment is improved for other families, that may give them comfort, it's all unspeakably sad.

Urmstongran Mon 18-Jan-21 17:05:40

Beyond heartbreaking to hear that I imagine. I’d just howl. Certainly not closure in any way, shape or form.

Once you know something you can’t unknow it, ever.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Jan-21 17:06:18

I don’t think it has helped anyone least of all the little girl or her parents it must have heaped more sorrow and ‘what ifs’ on their shoulders
Sometimes it just isn’t useful to hear what didn’t happen when there is nothing can be done to change the situation I m sure everything possible was done within their abilities

Shandy57 Mon 18-Jan-21 17:07:10

I saw the father discussing this on tv this morning, so tragic, it will always haunt them.

SueDonim Mon 18-Jan-21 17:18:28

It’s utterly, utterly tragic. Heartbreaking.

Maybe the parents were seeking reassurance and that’s why they commissioned the report, but it’s not what they got.

Along the same lines, I feel so sorry, too, for Nora Quoirin’s family, after she disappeared in Malaysia. The inquest didn’t give the answers they’d hoped for.

Poppyred Mon 18-Jan-21 17:37:30

Heartbreaking but how can they possibly prove that she did not get the best help available in such an appalling situation.

I don’t think this has helped them heal at all.

MissAdventure Mon 18-Jan-21 17:43:54

An enquiry has found it to be the case..
She lived for over an hour after the blast (her family had been told she died instantly) and was bleeding profusely from both legs.

She could have had a tourniquet put in place, and dressings to stem the flow, but it didnt happen.

sodapop Mon 18-Jan-21 18:59:46

I heard about this earlier, the parents must be devastated once again. I agree I don't know how knowing this will have helped. If they commissioned the report then perhaps they were thinking along these lines who knows, my heart goes out to them.
The question of treatment needs to be addressed but these were extreme circumstances.

SueDonim I felt uneasy about the whole disappearance and subsequent death of Nora Quoirin a lot of unanswered questions.

Kandinsky Mon 18-Jan-21 19:02:25

As if the parents haven’t suffered enough.
This news will haunt them forever.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Jan-21 19:12:13

Unforgiveable really and heartbreaking to say the least knowing this.

EllanVannin Mon 18-Jan-21 19:22:31

Sodapop you're not the only one who feels uneasy about Nora Quoirin. Who the dickens would choose a jungle area to take a young girl on holiday ? A girl who also had physical and learning difficulties. The place would have given anyone nightmares. Odd !

SueDonim Mon 18-Jan-21 20:19:35

I think Nora and her family had been to the area before on holiday and liked it so much they returned. Though I was really only posting with the intention of saying that it must be hell for both families. sad

ixion Wed 20-Jan-21 11:57:13

Thank you for offering your opinions on this post!
I found it really helpful to share with others what I had personally found quite distressing and was dwelling on by myself.
Gransnet at its best!?