Gransnet forums

Chat

A True and Tried way to feel better - even in a pandamic!

(40 Posts)
Applegran Wed 20-Jan-21 10:07:29

Lots of studies have shown that keeping a Gratitude Diary, even just for a few days, makes people happier for quite a long time afterwards - and some people keep a Gratitude Diary every day. Every evening you write three things you are grateful for that day - and why they made you grateful. For me it might be seeing snowdrops coming out, white clouds in a blue sky, a smile from someone, a bird singing, listening to some music I love - they are not likely to be big things, especially in a pandemic - though for me receiving my vaccinations certainly counted! And how about simply having a warm bed to sleep in - if you have? When things are hard it may seem impossible to find anything to be grateful for - but they are usually there if you look for them. Would you keep a Gratitude Diary? What are the things you are grateful for?

lemsip Wed 20-Jan-21 10:16:52

I'm grateful that I received my first jab yesterday.

Sara1954 Wed 20-Jan-21 10:24:15

Lovely idea

aonk Wed 20-Jan-21 10:26:53

I think I should keep a gratitude diary. At the moment I’m very grateful that my DIL is better. She was rushed to hospital at the weekend suffering with chest pains which have been diagnosed as a virus. Not that virus! Also I stood outside with my DS yesterday while he opened his birthday presents.

Sara1954 Wed 20-Jan-21 10:27:41

Just can’t think of three things this early on a horrible wet windy morning,

Redhead56 Wed 20-Jan-21 10:28:46

What a good idea I am grateful for my life now and my family. I look out and see birds and squirrels in the garden which I adore watching. The trees coming into bud raises my spirits and my cosy home with something always bubbling on the stove.

Urmstongran Wed 20-Jan-21 10:29:14

So many things.
Good health, the love and closeness from family and friends, a regular pension in the bank, good food, warmth and BOOKS to read!
?

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 10:30:46

Even if you don't decide to keep a Gratitude Diary, it's a lovely way to end the day 'in your head'.
Just before you go to sleep (or try to!) go through all the good things that you've got.
It's the same as Counting your Blessings; as old as the hills - whichever is no bad thing.
Thank you for reminding me of this Apple.

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 10:49:44

I’m grateful for the cards and gifts I received today including a bag left in porch for me containing flowers chocolate expensive wine and a fillet steak !!

BigBertha1 Wed 20-Jan-21 10:54:11

I dont keep a diary but I do try to check in with myself now and again and think about how fortunate I am and how far I've come.

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 10:54:48

Lucca! I've been searching high and low for you!
Happy Birthday! smilethankswinecupcake
Hope that you have a marvelous day xx
(It was my birthday yesterday btw, we really do seem to have quite a bit in common smile)

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 11:00:21

I am always grateful for even small things and think that writing them down daily helps to see the best in life. I agree it's a bit like counting blessings and looking on the bright side.
Friends, dogs, nature are just a few.
(I could moan I have no pension for 5 years yet, but what's the point?)
Nice gentle thread Applegran. I am grateful.

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 11:01:36

Thanks ! But you’re a mere spring chicken I believe! Somebody snuck in and wrinkled up my face and made me 71 ......

Searching for me ?. I’ve been sounding off on the vaccine misinformation threads quite a bit !!?

Ellianne Wed 20-Jan-21 11:01:47

Happy birthday Lucca! Enjoy yourself. flowerscupcake

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 11:03:25

Sorry Applegran blush
Hope that you don't mind me barging in like that with my party poppers!

anna7 Wed 20-Jan-21 11:13:12

Happy birthday Lucca flowers

This thread has come at the right time, I was feeling a bit down today . I am grateful for my new little dog, who has proved to be a delight. I am grateful that we live at the top of a hill so that I dont have to worry about being flooded with all the rain we are having atm. I have found a new series on Netflix to watch so that it always a positive.

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 11:14:14

What is it Anna7 ?!

FannyCornforth Wed 20-Jan-21 11:24:13

Lucca

What is it Anna7 ?!

I'm more interested in the dog!

sodapop Wed 20-Jan-21 11:55:15

Happy Birthday Luccawinethanks

Blue sky and sunshine here, elderly dog given a bit of a reprieve from the vet. He is not in pain from his tumours and can stay with us a bit longer.

nanna8 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:06:51

Happy birthday Lucca, have a ‘Lucckkyy’ year

nanna8 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:10:42

If I feel peed off I ring someone and have a good yack, eat chocolate and play a stupid game called Cubis on the computer. Also go outside and feed the lovely birds we get here

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 12:15:24

Are you in Oz ?

JMcD Wed 20-Jan-21 12:20:41

Hard to pick just 3 things to be grateful for - my family who keep in touch, the walk in the rain today (no such thing as bad weather - just wrong clothing!) and the daffodils bought yesterday that are already flowering and making me smile and think of spring.

nanna8 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:26:41

Yes Lucca. Victoria. They are king parrots who visit from time to time.

maddyone Wed 20-Jan-21 12:34:51

Oh Lucca what a lovely surprise. Happy birthday, and may the next one be when we are all in a better place.

I’m enormously grateful to the wonderful medics who treated me in hospital and since I’ve got home, as I’ve had a nasty bout of Covid. I’m grateful to be alive to be honest, and I’m looking forward to getting back to normal and doing normal things again.