Gransnet forums

Chat

Any names you don’t like ( either through association or just because)

(112 Posts)
nanna8 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:04:10

Not keen on Cecil for a male and not keen on Deirdre for a girl though I do know a Deirdre who is actually a really nice person. Don’t like some of the made up modern ones, either.

Lucca Wed 20-Jan-21 12:16:59

Malcom and martin. Not nice boys at school !

Grandmabatty Wed 20-Jan-21 12:17:23

Unfortunately I was a teacher and there are many names with connotations. We had to think very carefully when naming our children.

Sara1954 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:21:00

For some reason, I’ve always disliked Rebecca and Abigail, no idea why

JMcD Wed 20-Jan-21 12:24:18

I always imagined I would one day have a daughter called Dawn - but having married a Scotsman who's pronounciation sounded more like "Don" that idea was shelved!

nanna8 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:32:44

We had 4 girls but the cat was a boy so we called him Declan which was my favourite name at the time. He lived to be 22 years old, lovely old pussy cat.

Espana Wed 20-Jan-21 12:34:47

Wouldn’t dream of adding to this list. I understand it is meant to be a bit of fun but the possibility of hurting feelings is too great just to entertain ourselves. Sorry if this seems a bit po faced.

BlueSky Wed 20-Jan-21 12:37:37

The new modern names made up or with really weird spelling. Won’t mention any not to offend.

vampirequeen Wed 20-Jan-21 12:45:04

To many names due to being a teacher but let's just say that DDs found choosing names for DGC was a minefield.

Elvis58 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:51:26

Richard, Robert both names associated with multiple nasty, feckless, lazy,self centred people.

Ro60 Wed 20-Jan-21 12:58:19

When I was in high school for some odd reason my friend & I thought the name Amelia was soo old fashioned & hilarious - would have us in fits of laughter.
Now it's a popular name I can't imagine what caused the amusement.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:11:50

Donald and Boris, Pearl and Lettuce.

EllanVannin Wed 20-Jan-21 13:22:52

Lydia-----lid-i-a-bin. Lovely name when said in its entirety but not shortened. grin
Lucy---lastic. Another lovely name, but---

Polly4t42 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:33:44

Denise, when I was little a neighbour had a daughter of that name and she used to stand at her door and yell the name til her daughter appeared. Sometimes that would take over 5 mins(felt longer). Then she would yell at her for not coming sooner. He voice echoed through our houses in summer when we all had our windows open.

honeyrose Wed 20-Jan-21 13:40:58

Espana

Wouldn’t dream of adding to this list. I understand it is meant to be a bit of fun but the possibility of hurting feelings is too great just to entertain ourselves. Sorry if this seems a bit po faced.

Totally agree Espana. You’re always going to upset someone if you mention a name(s) you don’t like. I came unstuck when I was younger mentioning names I didn’t like - I’ve grown up a lot since then (I should think so too, at the age of 65!). We didn’t name ourselves, so therefore had no input in what we were named or Christened. (unless you later decided to change your name, of course). Ps I do have names I don’t particularly like, but I wouldn’t dream of mentioning them! Call me a spoilsport if you wish.

Anniebach Wed 20-Jan-21 13:42:48

Agree Espana I chose one name listed here for a grandchild

Kate1949 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:54:59

There is a name which, when I hear it, makes me bristle. I won't put it on here as it's a perfectly OK name. It's just that someone I know with that name caused a lot of problems in our family.

Susan56 Wed 20-Jan-21 13:59:57

I agree with espana,Annie and honey rose

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 20-Jan-21 14:49:59

There is one boys name that makes me shudder , don’t know why as 2 lads I know who have the name are both lovely, but I hate to use the name.

Callistemon Wed 20-Jan-21 15:08:05

Espana

Well, someone's just hurt my feelings by saying how much they dislike my DD's name.

And someone has been extremely cutting by putting someone dear to me, who is extremely hardworking, in the nasty, feckless, lazy, self-centred category.

A thoroughly nasty thread.

MawBe Wed 20-Jan-21 15:15:27

lovebeigecardigans1955

Donald and Boris, Pearl and Lettuce.

It's not Lettuce but Lettice (a variant of Letitia) meaning "joy"grin

SueDonim Wed 20-Jan-21 15:17:44

I’m sure we all have names we don’t like but I wouldn’t ever say so unless I was very sure of the company I was in. Why cause unnecessary upset?

BlueBelle Wed 20-Jan-21 15:39:00

Well my Dad was Richard and a nicer sweeter gentleman in all senses if the word you couldn’t find so elvis58 I dont appreciate your post
I too think this is not very nice thread and a lot of people are going to feel upset by it nothing wrong with saying you don’t take to a name but to add insults to it is not very kind at all

BlueBelle Wed 20-Jan-21 15:42:14

What if someone writes something spiteful about a name and someone who has just lost a loved one with that name reads it

Tea3 Wed 20-Jan-21 16:08:29

I would have said Clive (show me the boy at the age of eleven - and I can guess how the man turned out) but realised the husband of a very old friend is called Clive. This Clive is a lovely chap. As I’ve not made the connection with the name until now it is clearly all in the mind’s eye rather than the name.