Gransnet forums

Chat

The point of the Gransnet forums

(48 Posts)
GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 09:32:59

For chat, discussion of topical issues, current media focuses.

What do others think?

Elusivebutterfly Fri 22-Jan-21 09:40:34

Some threads are for advice both for things like household appliances/clothes best buys or problems with families.
Some threads are for support such as the estrangement ones.
Some threads are both advice and support such as the house buying and selling one.

M0nica Fri 22-Jan-21 09:42:17

For whatever Gransnetters want to talk about, with no limits.

HQ will quickly squash anything that goes outside their limits.

Bathsheba Fri 22-Jan-21 09:48:37

Is there a subtext here? I don't fully understand why the OP wants to discuss the point of the forums, which I would have thought were fairly obvious hmm

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 09:49:17

What has prompted your question GagaJo? You’ve been on here long enough to grasp an understanding of the forums. Has something upset or irritated you?

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 09:49:49

X posts Bathsheba!

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 09:52:25

For when people have had enough of reading, playing internet games, knitting, ironing, cleaning the bath, listening to music, cleaning out their cupboards, sorting out their tax return or whatever else they spend their days doing.

kittylester Fri 22-Jan-21 09:53:03

What bathsgeba and urms said.

Odd, considering you use the forums a lot gaga.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 09:54:35

I find myself agreeing with growstuff

I am usually a prolific reader but since the beginning of this Covid nightmare I have got the attention span of a gnat. Spending far too much time on line!

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 09:56:22

No subtext. Just interested. I'm bored and fed up with lockdown like a lot of people. Virtual chatting.

Galaxy Fri 22-Jan-21 09:56:27

I am the same grannygravy but I think GN and other online forums make my attention span even worse. I should have some willpower really.

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 10:00:30

If I'm finding it hard to concentrate on things, I set the timer on my phone for 20 minutes, work flat out on whatever I SHOULD be doing, promising myself a break when the alarm goes off. I increase it a little each time. It works well.

EllanVannin Fri 22-Jan-21 10:01:54

It's a boon when you're on your own whatever the subject matter, it keeps you alive and stops the brain from rusting grin

Lucca Fri 22-Jan-21 10:05:37

I’m still not quite understanding OP !!
It’s for both deep and daft debate ? ? Advice on anything from divorce to dishwashers ? To express gratitude and gripes ? To intrigue and infuriate ? To calm and comfort ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:08:23

I would like to add that I have made real life friends through GN meet-ups

growstuff Fri 22-Jan-21 10:08:47

Since the start of the pandemic, all my work is online, so I sit in front of my computer for many hours in the day. I force myself to do 30 minutes vigorous exercise every day and I make a habit of getting up and moving around every hour. I keep telling myself I'll do something more mind-improving than clicking on Gransnet, but the temptation is too great! grin

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 10:16:39

You're a better person than me growstuff. I periodically make myself exercise, then I slump back into inertia. I wish I could keep the impetus up.

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 10:17:10

'divorce to dishwashers'... yes!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:19:16

To be absolutely honest I could divorce MrGG13 over the way he loads the dishwasher ?

GagaJo Fri 22-Jan-21 10:20:05

Whereas with my bloke, ONLY he is allowed to load the dishwasher.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 22-Jan-21 10:23:08

I am grateful however that he is at this moment sitting with the 5yr old doing a live online zoom lesson for 60 + minutes whilst I am endeavouring to get the 1yr old to have a nap!

nadateturbe Fri 22-Jan-21 10:24:14

I agree with Monica, no limits. HQ will take care of anything unacceptable.
I wonder why we need to discuss it.
GN is keeping me almost sane at the minute.

maddyone Fri 22-Jan-21 10:25:53

Good gracious growstuff what’s happened, I find myself keeping agreeing with you ?

The temptation to waste time on Gransnet whilst recovering and not able to do much else, is overwhelming.

maddyone Fri 22-Jan-21 10:28:46

Sixty minutes grannygravy I was an Early Years teacher, and sixty minutes sounds an awfully long time for a five year old. No wonder parents are finding it hard to keep their children engaged in home learning.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 22-Jan-21 10:30:21

For talking about the sort of thing the sort of people who join Gransnet like to talk about?