Gransnet forums

Chat

What to do with old coins/notes?

(8 Posts)
mumski Fri 22-Jan-21 12:54:31

Still trying to clear 'stuff' from the garage , much of it from when we had to clear my DH's parents home. There's a large tin of coins and notes from all over the world some of it quiet old. Who knew Japanese dollars were a thing?
I would like to give them all away to a charity rather than just taking them to a bank. Has anyone any ideas who would accept them? Thank you

shysal Fri 22-Jan-21 13:09:08

In the past I have taken them to a charity shop along with some Spanish telephone cards. They said they were able to cash them in at the bank.

infoman Fri 22-Jan-21 13:28:11

Not sure where you live
but if you want the money yourself this is a very good option and you get a good exchange rate
www.fourex.co.uk/contact-get-in-touch/

Esspee Fri 22-Jan-21 13:36:51

My chosen charity (my local hospice) takes any donation. They have contacts which give them the best price for currency and stamps.

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 13:38:03

I too have some very old notes that may be worth something I did sell a couple on eBay but it’s hard to know what’s good and what’s not takes quite a bit of research
I presume the link you posted is for current notes Infoman not old out of service notes ? Or am I wrong ?

Auntieflo Fri 22-Jan-21 18:13:08

In our area, we used to be able to donate it to the Royal Berkshire Hospital. All proceeds went to Robbie the Robot , who I think does some sort of clever surgery.

infoman Fri 22-Jan-21 18:57:04

BlueBelle
I had a few coins hanging about and shoved them all in and only got a few returned.
All I would say is don't travel too far to get rid of those coins in the machines,charity shops would be the best option.

mumski Fri 22-Jan-21 22:13:26

Infoman my nearest is Derby 20 miles and Birmingham 22 miles. So as others have suggested a charity shop when they re open is probably the best option.
Thank you all for you advice xxx