Gransnet forums

Chat

Boris time again at 1630 or 5pm tonight

(47 Posts)
12Michael Fri 22-Jan-21 13:13:27

Boris , will be doing his bit to what we do not already know , I will watch but to understand switch the subtitles on so i can understand is non commanding voice.
Mick

timetogo2016 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:30:38

Oh blimey here we go again.
Boredom has already set in,what more can he add to what we already know and live with.
Watch this space eh.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jan-21 13:38:36

Thanks Mick

Dragonella Fri 22-Jan-21 13:45:25

Maybe he wants to tell us to 'eat out to help out' again?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 22-Jan-21 13:54:24

I haven't watched a single one of these and don't intend to do so now. I read about Covid rules and regs on my mobile (from my local council) which is good enough for me.

And what the heck does '16.30 or 5pm' mean? It's got to be one or the other - not both, but probably neither, judging by past experiences. I won't be parking my backside in front of the telly just in case so it's jog off from me.

Jane10 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:28:39

I'll happily watch it. There must be a reason for it. With any luck Van Tamm will be there too. I enjoy the metaphors that they both use and find their language use a world away from the usual dull stuff.

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:32:48

I think it’ll just be to tell us we’re to be locked down until Spring, 2022!

Puzzler61 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:33:57

Is it so that we can jubilant along with him that the R number has gone below 1.0 for the first time since early December?

Urmstongran Fri 22-Jan-21 14:43:42

Probably Puzzler61.

rosie1959 Fri 22-Jan-21 14:44:21

I feel the country needs some reassurance. The r rate is going down vaccinations are continuing but there is a lot of negativity about the thought of lockdown till summer is not good.

wendyann23 Fri 22-Jan-21 15:30:58

I just want some hope and positivity for the future. At the moment life seems so bleak and things seem to be going backwards not forwards. But I can’t think he has anything good to tell us, he never has before!

lemongrove Fri 22-Jan-21 15:34:09

He will be criticised if he fails to appear on tv and ditto if he doesn’t.
Since a lot will be watching tv it gets the message across, whatever it is.

avitorl Fri 22-Jan-21 15:43:38

Seeing his hair cheers me up.It makes me think mine doesn't look so bad after all.

12Michael Fri 22-Jan-21 15:44:00

Boris made his name on TV before what he is today , on a regular Friday night panel show , think when he Mayor of greater London , hence things like the "Boris" Bikes and the new "Boris " double decker buses .
Mick

lemongrove Fri 22-Jan-21 15:48:03

So?
What does that have to do with the PM appearing on screen alongside science boffins to tell us Covid news?

lemongrove Fri 22-Jan-21 15:49:43

avitor ? actually mine looks a bit the same when I wake up.

JenniferEccles Fri 22-Jan-21 15:55:38

I wonder what he is going to terrify us with today then?

Maybe reminding us that if we are out for a walk in a park or seafront this weekend, not to even think of sitting on a bench for a breather, and as for daring to be carrying a latte..... !!

Poor Boris. Not many folk would swap places with him I’m sure.

gangy5 Fri 22-Jan-21 16:11:50

I would like to do without the graphs. They are pointless as the size shown renders all of the wording unreadable.
I would also like to see the Scottish and Welsh first ministers make announcements on their own regional TV.

MawBe Fri 22-Jan-21 17:18:29

Why do people have to ask the same (damn fool) questions which have been asked and answered several times in previous briefings.
As we all know when pestered by toddlers, asking again and again don’t change the answer

MawBe Fri 22-Jan-21 17:29:46

12Michael

Boris made his name on TV before what he is today , on a regular Friday night panel show , think when he Mayor of greater London , hence things like the "Boris" Bikes and the new "Boris " double decker buses .
Mick

Sorry Mick I am no apologist for Boris Johnson but unlike Trump he did not make his name as a game show host -if by that you mean HIGNFY - of which he was one of several guest hosts after Angus Deayton was dismissed by the BBC for his drug offences.
He is/was a politician, author and journalist before becoming Foreign Secretary in 2016 and leader of the Conservative party in 2019.
And if the general usage bikes and new-style updated Routemaster buses got the nickname “Boris bikes” and “Boris buses” that indeed reflects their introduction during his tenure as Mayor of London.

Galaxy Fri 22-Jan-21 17:41:33

It was HIGNFY that boosted his notoriety, I for one have never forgiven them. It was partly where he established his bumbling image.

Jaxjacky Fri 22-Jan-21 17:42:16

jenniferEccles correct, more terrifying, the variant. wendyann23 nothing cheery, sorry.

Jane10 Fri 22-Jan-21 17:43:31

gangy5 the first minister is on TV up here in Scotland every day even when there is nothing new to say. Its much better that Boris and the senior scientists appear when there is something specific to say.

MawBe Fri 22-Jan-21 17:51:57

Galaxy

It was HIGNFY that boosted his notoriety, I for one have never forgiven them. It was partly where he established his bumbling image.

It may have been for some but he was invited to be a guest host because he was already well known as a journalist and writer. Being a current affairs “quiz” it featured other politicians as well like Charles Kennedy, John Prescott, Alan Johnson and Alastair Campbell as guest presenters.
I still don’t think anybody can say with any justification “ he made his name on TV before what he is today”
Just putting the record straight.

MawBe Fri 22-Jan-21 17:52:40

gangy5

I would like to do without the graphs. They are pointless as the size shown renders all of the wording unreadable.
I would also like to see the Scottish and Welsh first ministers make announcements on their own regional TV.

I understood that they did - am I Wrong?