Gransnet forums

Chat

Corrie

(207 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 19:53:03

Corrie in my opinion are making a real mess of their Corona take in the series
There is just no continuity at all, sometimes no one is wearing a mask or some are and some arent the ones that do wear then often seem to wear them in the street and take them off when they go in the shop!!! They have the masks that are on hanging from an ear or under a nose
The restaurants are opened for seated customers the pub is open
There’s no real sign of social distancing
Its really quite silly and would in my opinion have been better if they had ignored it altogether

JaneJudge Fri 22-Jan-21 19:57:08

It is getting on my nerves as well as the storylines grin
Emmerdale is the same
You can take your mask off it is someone you know wink but keep it on one ear if it is something you slightly know wink keep it on if skipping down the street <sigh> I imagine it may have all have been filmed in the summer though?

Jane10 Fri 22-Jan-21 20:06:07

Yes. Filmed before the latest lockdown. I'm just glad it's still on. They are trying hard using odd camera angles to make people look closer than they are.

cornishpatsy Fri 22-Jan-21 20:23:36

Just saw that filming has stopped on both. Difficult for them to know what the rules are as they were filmed a while ago.

Jane10 Fri 22-Jan-21 20:44:15

Oh no! Sometimes it's only the soaps that help me work out what day it is!

BlueBelle Fri 22-Jan-21 20:49:22

Yes you’re probably right about it being filmed in the summer
I do still look forward to it although I just think they should have been more careful even if it was filmed before full lockdown It’s filmed ‘up north’ where they seemed to have been in a perpetual lockdown
Perhaps I shouldn’t be so harsh on it then it just seems so bitty masks sometimes on sometimes off and sometimes not around at all
Tonight the two football brothers were sitting in the pub at opposite ends of the long seat although they live together ?but the barmaid had no mask on at all
Tim’s mum had a mask on in speeddahl but Yameen and Alina didn’t just seems so random

Galaxy Fri 22-Jan-21 20:50:31

But they cant have people sitting together because they live together on the show !

Jane10 Fri 22-Jan-21 21:06:04

Looks like it's only a two week stop on Corrie filming to allow them to alter storylines re Covid etc. Seems fine.

Galaxy Fri 22-Jan-21 21:06:52

I think Emmerdale has had a covid outbreak hasnt it?

NotTooOld Fri 22-Jan-21 22:19:16

That was a strange bit about the dogs tonight. I can't see where that fits with anything, seems very random.

Jane10 Fri 22-Jan-21 22:35:40

It was a typically Corrie lighter moment to offset the Ray/Abbie story? Nice to see older female characters. Also remarkably few pets on the Street. Cerberus and Peanut. No cats either.

maddyone Fri 22-Jan-21 23:41:39

The mask thing on Coronation Street annoys me. They put it on when it’s not needed and take it off as soon as they enter a shop! Plus all the food and drink outlets are apparently open.

hondagirl Sat 23-Jan-21 07:33:12

I don't think the producers do their research properly. Evelyn's boyfriend Arthur is emigrating to Canada. Like you can get into the country that easily.
Eastenders is worse. Max was intending to go the New Zealand for a month. First of all they are not allowing anyone in other than New Zealand citizens, and secondly, even if he could get in he would spend 2 weeks of the four in quarantine. Incidentally, he said he might stay if Linda liked the lifestyle. Like you don't need a visa! Australia is the same, so I don't see how Frankie would be able to go and work in a bar there. Again she would need a visa, hard to get at the moment. That's assuming she can get a flight, almost impossible at the moment. I know there is a bit of poetic licence allowed, but this is a bit beyond belief. They need to base their script on fact.

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 23-Jan-21 07:44:16

I am glad it's not just me that thought it's a bit random!
Coronation Street is the only soap I have consistently watched over the years.
It does feel odd when you watch it whether it's the use of masks or positioning of cast. That said real lifes pretty odd to!
I know they film about 6 weeks in advance so keeping current with the situation difficult. I'm not sure how I would want them to cover it. Would I really want to see Rita shielding and Fizz home schooling? I have a feeling Corrie have rarely referred to current affairs directly.
Maybe it's nice to have a brief respite from the reality of the pandemic?
I'm glad the Ray storyline is being dealt with swiftly and not dragging on endlessly.
The dog story line was a bit clumsy but a lesson in not making assumptions about people.
I think the Gemma storyline is interesting and probably very close to many people's current situation although they dont refer to covid as such. I think it would be useful if they involved loan sharks as no doubt a lot of desperate people will fall into their clutches.
I do enjoy the showings of Corrie on ITV3. Currently the Battersbys have just arrived and Kevin has left Sally for Natalie!

Calendargirl Sat 23-Jan-21 08:03:57

I agree with what everyone has said about masks, wearing them outside, but whipping them off when inside with others.But if filmed weeks ago, must be hard keeping up.

The storylines are pretty dreary.

One thing I think they could do is show more hand washing going on. Nurse Aggie seemed to come in from a busy 12 hour shift, no doubt dealing with Covid, and unless I didn’t notice, she just flopped down on the sofa, no sign of washing.
Tim’s mother seemed to randomly start serving in Speed Dahl, no proper uniform or obvious hand washing either. Having said that, I was always amazed how random customers could suddenly dash behind the counter in Roy’s Cafe and start buttering bread if they were short staffed, never having washed their hands or even removing their coat sometimes.
(This was pre Covid).

Ashcombe Sat 23-Jan-21 08:08:58

Dorsetcupcake: I am a regular viewer of Classic Corrie on ITV3 each afternoon, too! I find it much more compelling and believable than the current episodes. Highly recommended!

PollyDolly Sat 23-Jan-21 08:09:06

Emmerdale.....Thursday evening........ Dan entered The Woolpack, removed his mask and placed it ON THE BAR!!!! ?????

Grannynannywanny Sat 23-Jan-21 08:19:56

PollyDolly you just beat me to it! The mask being removed and placed on the bar was disgusting.

BlueBelle Sat 23-Jan-21 08:29:53

Maybe it's nice to have a brief respite from the reality of the pandemic dorsetcupcake I think that’s my point exactly surely preferable to have filmed it without the pandemic cues than this half baked completely wrong take on it
It’s the halfway house that is the problem either take the storyline completely seriously and work as they would in real life or forget it and carry on as normal in the fantasy world that it represents
By the way how can a jail have housed so many occupants of one street ??? and ditto with THE one hospital bed

sodapop Sat 23-Jan-21 08:58:49

They still have enough episodes to continue Emmerdale & Corrie Jane10
I agree that the producers could have handled things better in both soaps especially with hand washing and sanitizing as Calendargirl said.
Having said that I continue to watch and enjoy my links with the north of England even if I have to suspend disbelief.

Lucca Sat 23-Jan-21 08:59:56

I think east Enders are choosing to ignore the lockdown thing or indeed now the pandemic. Makes more sense really, I mean it doesn’t need to be realistic anyway ...as if one square could have so many murders scandals etc !

Bellasnana Sat 23-Jan-21 09:08:12

All the soaps seem to copy each other’s storylines and if I had a tenner for every time Plod ‘reads someone their rights’ I’d be a millionaire!??‍♀️

Franbern Sat 23-Jan-21 09:09:04

I agree that there does no seem to have been a really consistent approach in Corrie to Pandamec rules. Even six weeks ago they must have been aware that with the onset of winter there would be a tightening of rules. I have felt that the reason so many of the characters keep taking off their masks to speak is because they are just able to be clearly heard if wearing them. So, they wear them out side in the street, but remove them in shops, etc to say their lines. If comes over feeling very wrong.

Obviously the editorial team agree -which is why they have now decided to have re-writes and have cancelled current filming for a fortnight for this.

All soaps editors need to make up their minds as to whether they are going along with current news stories in their episodes or not/

I particularly love Neighbours, at present. They have made the decision just to totally ignore Corona Virus, and have blithely continued in Erinsborough without this having any effect. As this soap is always very fantasy -this works well (for me) and gives me a happy twenty minute break each weekday.

honeyrose Sat 23-Jan-21 09:27:42

Completely agree with the inconsistency shown over the pandemic in Corrie. The characters whip off their masks when they go inside The Rovers/Dev’s shop/Speed Dahl like they re taking off their coats! I would like to see more handwashng going on as well. I do think though that there wouldn’t be a much of a storyline if everyone had to “stay home”. We’re all being asked to suspense belief. It is entertainment after all, but I think a little more of a nod to the pandemic would be welcome. Roy (him of the Cropper bag as we always call it) removes his mask and then starts preparing food for goodness sake!!

Dorsetcupcake61 Sat 23-Jan-21 09:29:53

I must admit Bluebelle its something I have been pondering whilst in the shower!
I think twenty or so years ago the soaps were quite believable and influential. Internet access and cable tv hadnt quite taken hold and they had a pretty captive audience!
I think their strength lay in strong characters with story lines that highlighted everyday issues but in a realistic way,death,divorce,illness,teenage pregnancy. Now it seems to be fit the character to the topic,sometimes it's done better than others.
Story lines appear more sensational maybe to tempt back viewers who have endless other options.
Historically some viewers have really engaged with soaps,occasionally having difficulty distinguishing fact from fiction .
I think now many viewers suspend belief. For me a good example was the sink hole in the Platts garden which I still puzzle about how that was done without them knowing.!
On a more serious note,if viewers are still very engaged in soaps the rather strange way they have covered the pandemic could be quite damaging.
Do viewers look to soaps for guidance or are they now more likely to be influenced by social media?
I know historically soaps take great care when covering medical story lines. I think they are almost in an impossible position. We are in the eye of the storm with this pandemic with guidelines etc changing rapidly. To film in advance would be exceptionally difficult.
To me it feels that Corrie is caught in last summer's vibe of a more relaxed approach to guidance.
It will be interesting to see how they film the new episodes.
There could be an opportunity to perform a useful public service. I do wonder how much people can cope with at the moment.
Real life is traumatic for many at the moment and I'm not sure whether to see it replicated in a soap would be beneficial. I did watch the episode of Casualty a few weeks ago set in the first wave. No doubt when it was filmed it was felt when it was aired the worst would be over,instead reality was probably worse?.
Strange times we live in and sometimes the reflection of those times on tv feels even stranger!