Gransnet forums

Chat

Selfish spoilt opinionated people

(16 Posts)
Redhead56 Sat 23-Jan-21 13:30:24

I go out once a week to get essentials and shop on line for non essentials. Staff in shops delivery people post workers utility workers are all essential to each and everyone of us. Where would we be without them? They are on low incomes but have worked and served us all well throughout this pandemic.

Not seeing our family is beginning to get to me I have a short fuse at the best of times. I went to the local shop yesterday waiting in a queue overheard a conversation. Two men moaning about the lazy staff who are not doing their jobs. As some of the shelves are empty. (The shelves are low in stock because some people are still obviously panic buying). Then after moaning about the staff being lazy the conversation went to complain about postmen. Who are not delivering their post on time and they are sick of waiting for parcels.

What is wrong with people these days there is no tolerance. The security guard in the local Aldi who is so polite simply asked a customer why he wasn't wearing a mask. The response he got was racial abuse and beating up.
I have heard people say how we are all in this together. While there are selfish spoilt opinionated person we are not all in this together.

EllanVannin Sat 23-Jan-21 13:33:14

There are a lot of them about, believe me.

Sara1954 Sat 23-Jan-21 13:43:55

Trust me, people are becoming more selfish, rude, impatient, intolerant...I could go on.
I talk to people everyday who seem to think they’re more important than anyone else on the planet .
Having said that, two people rang me yesterday just to say Thankyou.
So the nice people are still out there, you just have to look harder.

eazybee Sat 23-Jan-21 13:53:40

I think people are enjoying grumbling more because we are all losing our tolerance about trivial matters, understandably.

Beating up security guards is a different matter, and needs to be punished immediately.

janeainsworth Sat 23-Jan-21 14:01:47

The only people I meet are those I pass on my exercise walks. They are invariably polite and considerate.
You don’t have to go into shops and overhear other people’s conversations if you don’t want to. There isn’t really anything that can’t be delivered.

Chewbacca Sat 23-Jan-21 14:13:15

I've found the reverse; the people I've come across whilst doing my weekly food shop have been a lot friendlier than usual, more willing to pass the time of day, smile and offer assistance if they can see I'm struggling to reach for something I'm not very tall. I've found people generally more friendly and helpful in my neighbourhood too; a passing smile or exchange of pleasantries from people I don't actually know.

timetogo2016 Sat 23-Jan-21 14:13:33

Very true sara1954.
I have thanked the supermarket staff and the cashiers at the bank for doing a wonderfull job during this covid time and one lady on the checkout burst into to tears and said she has never been thanked.
I wanted to give her a hug but obviously can`t.
There`s more good than bad it`s just the bad stand out.

SuzannahM Sat 23-Jan-21 14:18:10

I worked as a hotel receptionist in two different hotels for a couple of years many years ago. It put me off working with the general public for good. So many demanding, rude, rude people who have no idea of how ill-mannered they are.

I suspect things are worse now that we have created a world that demands instant gratification. There's no time for patience or tolerance.

PamelaJ1 Sat 23-Jan-21 15:25:57

I’ve just been to Tesco’s. There was quite a queue for the tills and they opened the one next to me.
There were 2 people behind me , the young girl at the end asked the woman in front of her if she wanted to go first and then I was asked. I was happy to wait where I was and said wasn’t in a hurry! In fact haven’t most of us got lots of time these days?
We then all had a happy, socially distanced chat about our social lives.
Not everyone is rude, I came back in a cheery mood.

M0nica Sat 23-Jan-21 15:30:15

In any society there will always be moaners, but just because you heard two, it doesn't mean that all or more than a very small minority of people are doing it.

The vast majority of people fully appreciate the work key workers do and also are clued up enough to know that the main reasons for shortages on the shelves are COVID and Brexit.

JaneJudge Sat 23-Jan-21 15:30:38

I think unfortunately these sorts of people were moaning before the pandemic and even a pandemic hasn't changed them

cornishpatsy Sat 23-Jan-21 15:36:13

I think we notice the moaners but not the many more that are not moaning.

It is the same on GN, there is always a thread about negativity or a nasty poster but the majority of people are nice.

AGAA4 Sat 23-Jan-21 15:45:13

One or other of my neighbours has been clearing my path this week as we have had snow for a few days. I have done the clearing in the past but having hurt my knee was unable to this time.
Most people are generally kind and grateful to those who help them.

Doodledog Sat 23-Jan-21 16:37:11

Was the security guard beaten up in the store? Didn't the managers call the police, or other customers help him?

Redhead56 Sat 23-Jan-21 17:22:53

Yes the thug was arrested he wasn’t local though.

Toadinthehole Sat 23-Jan-21 17:29:04

These sort of morons are the reasons our numbers are still high.?