Gransnet forums

Chat

Je ne regrette rien

(102 Posts)
Lucca Wed 27-Jan-21 11:12:48

Or do you ? I have things I regret and would change but often they have a “but then..”. Attached eg but then I wouldn’t have met so and so..”

NanaandGrampy Wed 27-Jan-21 12:35:44

No , I regret nothing.

I have always felt that I'm the sum total of my experiences and whilst I might like, with hindsight , to change something , regret is pointless.

I did what I did . I hope I leaned from my experiences . I'm happy with my life, and how I got here shaped that.

So , Je ne regrette rien

Urmstongran Wed 27-Jan-21 12:38:29

‘A few, but then again, too few to mention’. ? ?

Calendargirl Wed 27-Jan-21 12:41:03

Don’t know about no regrets, sometimes ‘I wish I had done/said/thought differently’ but you can’t go back.

Just try and learn from past mistakes I suppose.

But nothing major I would alter.

timetogo2016 Wed 27-Jan-21 12:41:19

No regrets my end thankfully.
I`m living in the now not the past thankfully.
Covid not withstanding.

NotSpaghetti Wed 27-Jan-21 12:44:10

I would like myself to have been kinder as a teenager to the "older generation".

If I could start again with what I have learned I hope I would do this.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 27-Jan-21 12:46:35

No, I don’t have regrets about anything really! I don’t mean that in a smug way either, I think like calendargirl says it’s best to learn from things

EllanVannin Wed 27-Jan-21 12:47:52

Yes, I regret not emigrating when I had the chance to----because I was too busy thinking of others and not myself.

Kim19 Wed 27-Jan-21 12:49:02

Only one but it was dictated by others and not in my control to change it.

Redhead56 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:18:13

I could regret marrying my first husband who turned out an abusive destructive vile man.

I don’t because I have my son and daughter who are beautiful human beings.

BlueBelle Wed 27-Jan-21 13:20:49

I regret many many things too many to list I think if you have no regrets at all you must have had a truly perfect existence or perhaps you are kinder to yourself than I am to myself

Redhead56 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:24:37

Don’t be unkind to yourself life is too short

Dragonella Wed 27-Jan-21 13:28:24

There was one moment where I spent the evening with a man but didn't get his contact details because I was seeing someone else, who I later married. At the end of the evening, almost like the film Sliding Doors, I ran for a bus and caught it. If I had missed it, I might have had a different life.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:28:59

I have many regrets but I suppose all your experiences, good and bad, make you into whatever it is you are. If only I hadn't said that, done this, gone there, etc. Me and my big mouth.

LauraNorder Wed 27-Jan-21 13:32:46

There are things I would change given the opportunity, but as there is no teleporter available, I’ll accept the past without dwelling beyond the point of learning from it.
I’m quite happy with my lot.
Only real regret is that I didn’t postpone my wedding so that my Dad could give me away. He got stuck on a contract in Africa and couldn’t get back in time. It wouldn’t have changed his or my life but I do dwell on it sometimes in spite of my own advice.

BlueSky Wed 27-Jan-21 13:42:14

Non, rien de rien, non, je ne ne regrette rien!

Kate1949 Wed 27-Jan-21 14:00:43

Similar to Kim my life has been dictated by others. My violent, neglectful childhood left me with no confidence or self esteem. I have just plodded through. I've never had the confidence to live the life I would have liked.

Maggiemaybe Wed 27-Jan-21 14:01:40

Urmstongran

‘A few, but then again, too few to mention’. ? ?

Yes, I’ll go with this.

I do regret not having a pencil and paper to hand when I dreamt the winning lottery numbers (yes, this did happen!). By the time I’d scrabbled about in a drawer they’d started to fade and I was a digit out with two of the numbers. I did win about £30 though. smile

M0nica Wed 27-Jan-21 14:42:08

Non, je ne regrette rien.

Megs36 Wed 27-Jan-21 15:01:13

I regret not making more effort to be friends with my mother in law, the only thing is I think the things that irritated me about her have made me a more tolerant mothermother in law myself.

Megs36 Wed 27-Jan-21 15:01:50

One mother !!

Wheniwasyourage Wed 27-Jan-21 15:08:13

Not doing a university course which I would have been good at instead of one which I thought I would like more than I did, but on the other hand, I would probably not have met DH, and that would have been a big regret!

Apart from that, there are small things but apart from at 3am when I can't get back to sleep, they don't bother me much.

Lucca Wed 27-Jan-21 15:12:31

while I applaud the sentiment of those who don’t let themselves regret I do have a few. Career choice early on for one. I should have been braver and continued studying.
I don’t however regret turning to teaching at age 40. I definitely married the wrong person but then I have two wonderful sons.....

sodapop Wed 27-Jan-21 17:05:20

I have things I regret in my past, times when I hurt people and wish I could go back and do things differently. I agree with BlueBelle others must be kinder to themselves.

Franbern Wed 27-Jan-21 18:30:58

My greatest regret is not having made more time for my Dad when he was in his 80's. Life was so busy for me at the time, six children all demanding my attention, plus disabled hubbie. I did see him most weeks, but know he was so lonely after my Mum died. I found it difficult to visit him after that as I so missed my Mum. Do wish now I had made him more of a priority for my time.