Gransnet forums

Chat

The Argy Bargy Bar is back!

(1000 Posts)
lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 21:44:26

Hello Argies, regulars and newcomers, after meeting Moneybags Mike this evening we have another year’s lease on the bar ( £8/10/6d! Daylight robbery)
Drop in here anytime for a chat, banter and a drink or three.
Every Friday is a ‘theme nite’ there may be a raffle and there is always humour along with strong poteen.

lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 21:53:31

This Friday night is Greek Nite, I am going to have a special costume made by Madame Pom Pom down by the gasworks,
I shall be ( drum roll please!)......Aphrodite, a vision in gold and white.
I have purchased some cracked urns from the garden centre by the railway sidings ‘Greenfingered Grahams’ and some slightly wonky fairy lights and a misshapen couple of yew topiaries to give the bar an authentic feel.
AGA and barman Thor are hard at work in the cellar (brewing, one hopes) a vatful of ouzo.

ixion Wed 27-Jan-21 22:14:38

Very nice, very themed and in the usual tasteful style the Bar is famous for.
Mind you, I reckon you'll be hard pushed to find any Vestal Virgins round here.

Lisagran Wed 27-Jan-21 22:33:45

Vestal Virgin - did I hear my name called? (grin)

LauraNorder Wed 27-Jan-21 22:34:40

I shall come as Aphrodiet. Sticking to the Greek salad, probably cos it’s dressed with llama spit, always sticky.

Doodle Wed 27-Jan-21 22:38:24

Speak for yourself ixion I’ll have you know I am very much intacto. ??. Being the great beauty that I am, I will of course be coming as Helen of Troy. I will expect royal service and a gold seat in the toilets please ixion ?

Pittcity Wed 27-Jan-21 22:39:12

I think I'll come as Donna Kebab, always welcome after a night out!

Doodle Wed 27-Jan-21 22:40:13

Splutter ????? Wot you Lisa. I think not.

Doodle Wed 27-Jan-21 22:42:05

You may well get eaten Pittcity . Once the punters get loaded on AGA’s poteen and Lemon’s cocktails, anything could happen. ......and don’t put your buns on display either or you’ll have the llamas after you ?

ixion Wed 27-Jan-21 22:58:42

Think it might be useful to come as Harmonia and put myself about a bit....

JanetG Wed 27-Jan-21 23:19:34

Are newcomers allowed to join in? I would bring falafel for all, and promise not to make a move on Zorba.

lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 23:31:20

Newcomers are very welcome, ( and your cash!) and our smouldering new barman Vlad ( a toothsome Rumanian) is always on the lookout for ‘new blood’ as he calls it.
What’s your poison? We have every known drink ( and a few unknown ones.)??✨

lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 23:33:03

You could have an act ixion....Harmonia and her harmonica, we wouldn’t need karaoke.?

lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 23:34:38

Thor says he is coming as Zeus ( delusions of grandeur?)

lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 23:36:20

The Admiral and ships crew are coming as Jason and the Argonauts ( very apt for the Argy.) They should be Argynauts really though.

Doodle Wed 27-Jan-21 23:38:13

Very welcome JanetG. You’ll be even more welcome on Monday morning when it comes to cleaning up after the Friday night bash.

lemongrove Wed 27-Jan-21 23:45:23

Indeed! I am drawing up the cleaning rota as we speak, the lavs, the cellar and the scullery need a deep clean, and the llamas need a bath.
Well, you all know what comes after the Lord Mayor’s Show, don’t you?

JanetG Thu 28-Jan-21 00:03:59

Thanks Doodle. I’m excellent at scrubbing - I was a professional back in the day.

ixion Thu 28-Jan-21 10:41:56

OK.
Who's left a ruddy great horse parked up outside??
Wooden thing, gi-normus?

Pittcity Thu 28-Jan-21 11:17:47

I've cleared out my cupboards and have sent a man with a van full of plates to smash. The plates not the man, although.......

Doodle Thu 28-Jan-21 12:11:52

It’s mine ixion. I got it for Friday from the Woody the carpenter. He’s getting rid of it as it has woodworm.
. I thought I’d make a big entrance on Friday then we can use it in the wood burner after.

BigBertha1 Thu 28-Jan-21 12:16:11

I'm a born again Virgin does that count. I fancy a little leather number with leopard skin accessories and a modicum of Maribou trim (fake of course). Can we dance the Mamouska?

AGAA4 Thu 28-Jan-21 16:54:24

There is plenty of poteen and ouzo brewing if anyone wants to come down to the cellar. Don't be alarmed by Thor. He is insisting on wearing his Greek god outfit. He usually just wears a leather thong.
The llamas are down here too but they are friendly if you give them a slurp of your pint.

LauraNorder Thu 28-Jan-21 17:27:53

Do help yourselves to a stuffed Olive and Popeye pea on a tray of lava bread from Methana, I had to climb a long way up for that. I wonder if the Methana Volcano is named for the llamas after they’ve gorged on my cabbage soup.
We were all born again virgins when we arrived Bertha!
Welcome to another scrubber JanetG. Where’s my sous chef? She’s supposed to be making her world famous SOAP for tomorrow’s lunches.

JanetG Thu 28-Jan-21 20:28:22

Should I bring my own squeegee and slop bucket? I could carry my falafel in the bucket - they taste better with a splash of bleach. To be honest, they couldn’t taste a lot worse.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion