Gransnet forums

Chat

Ready-made pastry

(39 Posts)
maydonoz Sun 21-Feb-21 15:54:52

Today, for the first time I used ready-made pastry, yesterday when I was shopping in Aldi I saw it, so bought one pack of shortcrust and one of puff pastry to try. In fact at Christmas I meant to get it to make sausage rolls but never got round to it or the sausage rolls!
So today I made a quiche with the shortcrust, the puff one is in the freezer for a other day.
Anyway the quiche was lovely for lunch and am impressed with the shop-bought pastry, will definitely use again.
Do you make your own or buy ready-made pastry?

25Avalon Sun 21-Feb-21 15:56:31

I cheat and why not? No failures yet.

tanith Sun 21-Feb-21 15:57:13

Never bought ready made it’s so simple to make my own. I might buy the puff one but I generally make short crust.

Ilovecheese Sun 21-Feb-21 16:01:36

I buy puff but usually make shortcrust. The bought shortcrust is nicer than mine though.

Jaxjacky Sun 21-Feb-21 16:12:55

I buy it, always, I’m not a natural baker so find it a faff.

MissAdventure Sun 21-Feb-21 16:16:41

I've seen Delia use shop bought pastry, so if it's good enough for her I'm sure it's fine.

eazybee Sun 21-Feb-21 16:22:31

I was taught to make rough puff pastry and at the end of the class the tutor said, but we always use shop bought puff pastry, much more efficient.
Mary Berry said the same.
Always make shortcrust pastry; not difficult.

LoobbyLoo Sun 21-Feb-21 16:26:01

I buy ready made pastry both shortcrust and puff. I have tried the named ones and the shops own but I still prefer the ones from aldi don't know why but they taste better.

Sallywally1 Sun 21-Feb-21 16:26:57

Yes, shop made puff is a ‘delia cheat’. I used some today to make a rhubarb pie for pudding. Like others I do make my own shortcrust, combining lard and butter for the fats again as suggested by Delia. Bunged in,my food processor with an egg and flour it mixes up in seconds.

Deedaa Sun 21-Feb-21 16:29:13

i always buy ready made puff pastry and usually short crust as well. I find Aldi is better than the branded ones.

Redhead56 Sun 21-Feb-21 17:49:53

I make my own shortcrust and rough puff but I buy filo that is tedious to make.

Fennel Sun 21-Feb-21 18:52:33

I buy ready made puff pastry. I'm quite good at baking other things but not pastry. Saves all the mess too.

WishIwasyounger Sun 21-Feb-21 19:40:52

I make my own shortcrust, but buy puff and filo. Much easier.

Nicegranny Sun 21-Feb-21 19:44:24

If l could make short crust pastry like my old mil and her mother ( both gone) I would never buy it.
But considering my pastry is not worth eating l always buy it.

grannysyb Sun 21-Feb-21 19:57:10

Always make my own short crust with lard and hard marge and a little bit of icing sugar even for savoury dishes, but always buy puff, too much hassle to make it!

maydonoz Sun 21-Feb-21 19:59:12

Thank you all for your replies, anything to make life easier especially in these challenging times.
Time now to watch "Who wants to be a millionaire?", at least we can answer a few of these!

timetogo2016 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:37:36

If it`s good enough for celebrity chefs it`s good enough for me.
I have trouble rolling it out due to wrist problems,so i`m glad it`s available.

mrsgreenfingers56 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:41:41

I feel bad and cheat with Aldi shortcrust and it's great and such a time saver. But always feel guilty as my Grandma was a wonderful pastry maker and I can hear her tutting when I take off the shelf!

Franbern Tue 23-Feb-21 13:48:52

This is of interest to me. A couple of weeks ago I would have replied that I purchase readymade puff, but ALWAYS make my own shortcrust. It is easy to make, Add a small amount of sugar if I making it for a sweet dish.

However, I recently treated myself to an electric pie maker - and in order to try that out followed their advice and used readymade pastry as the pies needs shortcrust for a base and puff for the lids. The pies were gorgeous (I have even used canned meat for them), so quick and easy to make - all done within 15 minutes and virtually no washing up. So, I may well use even shortcrust purchased readymade for these in the future.

MiniMoon Tue 23-Feb-21 14:46:34

I make my own shortcrust pastry, and since the advent of the food processor, it is easier than ever.
I buy puff pastry as that is quite a faff to make.

Davida1968 Tue 23-Feb-21 14:50:40

Definitely buy: if it's good enough for professional cooks, then it's good enough for me! But I only buy "all butter" pastry, because all the others I can find are made with palm oil.

Sarnia Tue 23-Feb-21 14:52:21

Puff pastry ready made every time. Life is too short for faffing around folding up squares of butter into pastry. I tried the baked pastry cases once but didn't find them too good.

hellymart Tue 23-Feb-21 14:56:39

I can make shortcrust pastry in seconds in my food processor, so would never buy that but I would consider buying flaky/puff pastry as I really couldn't be bothered to make that!

grandMattie Tue 23-Feb-21 15:00:39

Although a fairly competent cook, pastry isn’t one of my fortes. I buy readymade paste cases for quiches and tarts...
Never make puff. Make shortcrust for mince pies.

annodomini Tue 23-Feb-21 15:26:22

I make good shortcrust in the food processor. It's a long time since I have made puff pastry, though I have memories of its being reasonably good.