Gransnet forums

Chat

Anyone feeling bold enough?

(54 Posts)
Aveline Tue 23-Feb-21 12:17:49

I'm feeling very bold. I've just booked a holiday! Its not till April 2022 but it seemed a big thing for me to do.
It was a matter of 'use it or lose it' for vouchers but they're now used and the holiday can be cancelled with no penalties up to 24 hours before departure.
Anyone else? I had to hang on the phone to the travel company for ages so its not just me!

PurpleStar Tue 23-Feb-21 12:45:36

Good for you.We all need something to look forward to and a holiday in 2022 seems highly likely.We had a fab holiday booked in 2020 that we were able to move to summer 2021 without losing money.We have managed to get a full refund Voucher so we can rebook for next year when the flights and villa have released their 2022 timetable.We need some joyous sunny holiday once this has passed.I think most of the population will be doing the same...Good times are ahead sunshine

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Feb-21 12:48:42

We like to use our local independent travel agent, as soon as they are open we shall be booking something for early autumn 2021.

Antonia Tue 23-Feb-21 12:58:29

I hope I will have the confidence to want to book a future holiday, but it will feel very strange indeed to board a train or stay in a hotel. I think lockdown has got to me.

Aveline Tue 23-Feb-21 13:15:26

It did feel very odd and a bit unsettling. I've never booked a holiday so far in advance before. I'm glad it's done though. It's a sort of marker in life.
Just seen on the news that the travel companies are suddenly booming. Good news for so many whose jobs rely on us spending our money on holidays.

M0nica Tue 23-Feb-21 13:19:00

We all booked holidays for this summer/autumn, some weeks ago.

Polarbear2 Tue 23-Feb-21 13:21:58

I booked my summer hol last September. Thought I’d beat the rush and, with good cancellation policies, I didn’t consider it too much of a risk. We’re car/ferry/house in France so not too much mixing. Just relying on the French letting us in now! ?

grannysyb Tue 23-Feb-21 13:22:20

We've booked a short break in Devon in August, with money back if we cancel. I wouldn't feel happy about going abroad yet, vaccine rollout overseas is quite slow.

Aveline Tue 23-Feb-21 13:47:59

I agree re the vaccination roll out in other countries. We're going to stay in the UK this year. Also want to spend our money here too to help support the economy in our own small way.

Esspee Tue 23-Feb-21 13:52:10

Why are holidays in the U.K. so expensive? Together with the unpredictable weather I don’t see any attraction to holidaying at home.

Aveline Tue 23-Feb-21 14:18:19

There's all sorts of interesting holidays to be had in UK. I'm not interested in lying on a beach baking all day. Lots of lovely city breaks I've always wanted to get round to. Maybe this year we'll make it to York for example.
Last summer we had a long weekend in StAndrews and really enjoyed that. We stay in decent hotels which employ staff on UK wages and have themselves to pay UK taxes and rates. They're expensive thus pushing up costs.

BigBertha1 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:10:39

We have booked a self catering cottage near Taunton for September this year and a hotel holiday in Portugal in May 2020 but taken insurance out on both of them. I have finally persuaded my daughter not to book a holiday abroad this year and she is spending her money on making her garden nice instead.

suziewoozie Tue 23-Feb-21 15:15:52

Self catering booked last month for Welsh Borders for early September. I so want to visit my friends in France but can’t handle all the unknowns involved atm.

Grannybags Tue 23-Feb-21 15:39:11

We booked a Brecon Beacon holiday for September this year. Booked before Christmas.

We wont be considering going abroad for a long time though

Calendargirl Tue 23-Feb-21 15:41:45

Esspee

Why are holidays in the U.K. so expensive? Together with the unpredictable weather I don’t see any attraction to holidaying at home.

Saves sitting on a plane with lots of other people, wearing a mask.

Kim19 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:43:26

I've booked with my pal on the IoW and reciprocally she's booked in with me. Just the train or plane to go!

Rosie51 Tue 23-Feb-21 15:47:12

For some of us, sitting on a plane with lots of other people, wearing a mask, would be utter bliss if it meant we could see our grandchildren again. If we don't get to go this summer it will be 3 years between visits. Not going to book flights until the OK is given, but if it is I'll be on it within minutes.

Ellianne Tue 23-Feb-21 16:02:42

I think Polarbear2 has a point, it will also depend on the countries we want to visit letting us in.
A lot of them - France, Spain, Italy - are way behind in their vaccinations too.

Ellianne Tue 23-Feb-21 16:03:31

I have just booked UK holiday for October.

suziewoozie Tue 23-Feb-21 16:08:30

For me, it wouldn’t be enough that a particular country would let me in - they have a vested interest in tourism. I’d want to know about their case rate and vaccination rate because it one were high and the other low I’d be putting myself at risk even if that were a limited risk.

suziewoozie Tue 23-Feb-21 16:09:29

That’s what makes France so unlikely ?

Severnsider Tue 23-Feb-21 16:13:07

I've just booked my Christmas holiday.

Be brave, they're booking up quickly.

Ellianne Tue 23-Feb-21 16:17:56

Yes, I agree, sadly France, the homeland of Louis Pasteur, ironically, is looking unlikely.

Judy54 Tue 23-Feb-21 16:24:07

We had booked a UK holiday cottage for last year and it has been rebooked for the end of June this year. We very much hope that it will go ahead.

nadateturbe Tue 23-Feb-21 16:24:57

Im not keen to travel far. Anyway we want to see family. We intend to take the ferry to Scotland later in the year to visit my friend in Cumbria, my son in Lancashire, and if energy permits Stratford then down to East Sussex to our daughters. There are so many interesting places to visit in England. Home via Holyhead. That's the plan! We might have to do it in two visits.