Gransnet forums

Chat

Princess Anne thinks it was right for Harry and Meghan to step down

(40 Posts)
GagaJo Wed 24-Feb-21 19:02:30

While some royal fans have been negative about the decision, Princess Anne previously spoke out in support of what was dubbed ‘Megxit’ by the media.

Speaking to Vanity Fair in April last year, Anne (Harry’s aunt) said that the move was likely to make things “easier” for the couple.

“I think it was probably easier for them, and I think most people would argue that there are downsides to having titles,” said Anne.

“So I think that was probably the right thing to do.”

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/royal-family/princess-anne-meghan-harry-royal-family-b1806722.html

LauraNorder Wed 24-Feb-21 19:15:27

Forthright, practical and down to earth is the impression I have of the Princess Royal. If she thinks it was a wise decision then I’d be interested in her reasoning.
The link won’t open for me.

GagaJo Wed 24-Feb-21 19:18:09

That is weird Laura. I just double checked it and it worked fine for me.

Yes, I am not a monarchist, but she is a good, sensible woman. Pity we have Charles next, and not her.

BlueBelle Wed 24-Feb-21 19:19:00

She’s right and they were right I d have been on the first train out if I was them

Lollin Wed 24-Feb-21 19:25:44

I wonder what her list of who should follow their example would look like!

GagaJo Wed 24-Feb-21 19:27:29

I would love to see that Lollin. Bet she would weild a long knife.

Gannygangan Wed 24-Feb-21 19:32:29

This is from the same Vanity Fair article

And she worries that the younger generation of royals may be in too much of a hurry to change the royal family’s tried and tested approach when it comes to philanthropy. Describing herself as “the boring old fuddy-duddy at the back saying, ‘Don’t forget the basics,’ ” she cautions, “I don’t think this younger generation probably understands what I was doing in the past and it’s often true, isn’t it? You don’t necessarily look at the previous generation and say, ‘Oh, you did that?’ Or, ‘You went there?’ Nowadays, they’re much more looking for, ‘Oh let’s do it a new way.’ And I’m already at the stage, ‘Please do not reinvent that particular wheel. We’ve been there, done that. Some of these things don’t work. You may need to go back to basics.’ ”

Good old Anne.

Anniebach Wed 24-Feb-21 19:38:36

Wonder what her views are now

Lucca Wed 24-Feb-21 20:00:17

Just imagine if she supported them.......????

Pantglas2 Wed 24-Feb-21 20:40:32

I suspect that no one knows better than Anne that coming second means coming nowhere! She was always aware that only Charles mattered, as first born, and was happy to accept it which is why she never wanted titles for her kids.

Andrew seems not to have learned that lesson and insisted his daughters were princesses and has railed against them not having a role within the slimmed down monarchy.

Harry would have known and accepted his lot until he met and married someone who isn’t prepared to play second fiddle to William and Catherine - which is what they’d have to do if they remained in the UK.

That’s how I interpret Anne’s comments.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 24-Feb-21 20:44:18

I think that Princess Anne wouldn’t want anyone to be doing something that they hate, too much bad publicity if anyone is seen to be scowling whilst on official duties.
Let’s face it anyone who doesn’t want to do the same thing for the rest of their lives is best going away and doing something else, I wonder if they were given the option to step away from the RF and stay in the U.K. with the freedom to travel to the USA as and when they wanted too?
Or if it was a case of ‘ stay in the RF or leave the country’ , we will probably never know.

Anniebach Wed 24-Feb-21 20:50:56

It would not have worked for all involved if they had stayed in this country.

They couldn’t have made the money they are making in America

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 24-Feb-21 20:55:12

But if they had stayed in the RF and the U.K. Prince Charles, and the tax payer would have kept them in luxury too.

However, probably not to Netflix standards.

Anniebach Wed 24-Feb-21 21:00:38

I doubt Megan would have settled for a quiet wealthy life, possibly Harry with his love of field sports and army connections but in fairness to Megan country life would have
driven her mad. Diana hated it, Fergie liked it .

Anniebach Wed 24-Feb-21 21:02:47

Sorry, missed your mention of the royal family , i was thinking stepping down and staying in this country

Ohmother Thu 25-Feb-21 00:20:57

Princess Anne is so like her mother. I would love her to take over the role of Queen should the time come. She would be very hard working and genuine.

Aveline Thu 25-Feb-21 08:03:00

Yes. Good old Anne. Just quietly getting on and doing her bit.

Anniebach Thu 25-Feb-21 08:55:22

She doesn’t approve of young royals trying to change things

vampirequeen Thu 25-Feb-21 09:03:16

I can't abide most of the RF but I have to say I have a bit of a soft spot for Anne. She didn't want her children to have titles because she wanted them to have a chance to be 'normal'. Obviously that's 'normal' by very rich and privileged standards but I see where she's coming from. And I love the fact that her grandchildren are allowed to be children. No pretending that they are always immaculately behaved. Toddler tantrums are accepted as part of being a toddler.

Calendargirl Thu 25-Feb-21 09:24:09

I should think that Anne could see through Meghan straightaway, and realised that the traditional ideas of Royal duty and service meant something completely different to the D&D of Sussex, and that these loose cannons would be better living the lifestyle they chose somewhere else.

Anniebach Thu 25-Feb-21 09:28:03

Yes, when she speaks of younger members trying to change things , she believes the old way is the best way ,

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 25-Feb-21 09:37:12

I still say that H&M would have been brilliant if it wasn’t for the tabloids and their constant hint of racism toward Meghan. The media may have denied it, but it was always just below the surface. M&H were far enough away from the succession to make a more interesting counterpoint to, let’s admit it, the more boring Cambridges. It is interesting that the media still can’t let them alone. What ever M & H do, the screaming red tops will always exert their ridiculous cruelty. All led of course by one P Morgan, who can’t get over the fact he didn’t receive a wedding invitation.

NellG Thu 25-Feb-21 09:41:33

It would be difficult to fault her wisdom and experience, she comes across as a sanguine soul these days.

I remember as a younger woman she couldn't breathe for being critiqued in the press - so it's no surprise she holds the views she does re her own children and is supportive of H&Ms decision. I think if they'd sought her advice and wisdom on their exit, they might have come through the whole thing with a lot less criticism and a lot more support. Given that the RF, has what? circa 1200 years of PR experience to draw on?

Anniebach Thu 25-Feb-21 09:46:13

Would they take advice from anyone ?

Anniebach Thu 25-Feb-21 09:47:47

The media can’t leave them alone ? They won’t step out of the media spotlight