Gransnet forums

Chat

Procrastination. Things I should do tomorrow

(28 Posts)
Grammajules Fri 26-Feb-21 18:56:55

I guess the current environment should encourage me to do more but....
Not finished the jumper I have been knitting, even though I am on the last sleeve.
Not dug the veg patch over and spring is nearly here.
Not started the exercise programme I promised to do after
getting out of bed now it is light at 7am.
Not cooked that lovely meal, even though I have bought all the ingredients.
Is it just me, give me motivation.

Rufus2 Sat 27-Feb-21 05:37:43

Is it just me, give me motivation
Being a true gentleman, I've stood back waiting for all those energetic members. to rush forward with motivations.
I'll be interested too because I'm a graduate of the school that teaches
"Don't put off until tomorrow that which can be put off until the day after tomorrow" grin
Perhaps more motivating ideas might be forthcoming!
Offer a (modest) reward for the most original "motivation". hmm
Good Health

Mollygo Sat 27-Feb-21 06:42:19

I favour the ‘make a list of things you have done’, not ‘the things you have to do’ school of thought. That way you’re always successful.

BlueBelle Sat 27-Feb-21 07:15:17

grammajules this is me and not only things to do but decisions to make I have to buy some new white goods I ve picked them out, measured them, cleaned behind the old ones in preparation, but I haven’t pressed the button to buy for two weeks now... each day I hover over it and then say I ll do it tomorrow
I love that mantra rufus
I ve never been good for deciding but this is daft now this is something else !

Juliet27 Sat 27-Feb-21 07:21:18

I’ve not phoned the phone company to change my tariff.
I’ve not phoned the gas board to complain that in three years of paying for service I’ve only had two service visits
I’ve not even started the decluttering

NotAGran55 Sat 27-Feb-21 07:22:37

For me it is the ‘ ask a busy person ‘ scenario.

The less I have to do the less I want to do . Too much time to fill and I think to myself ‘ I will do that later’ as I know I will have the time , but often don’t do it!

Much preferred a busy working life as I was so much more efficient and happier then .

Liz46 Sat 27-Feb-21 07:26:22

I need to do some exercises as my back and my neck are seizing up. We do go for a walk every day but miss the prom on the banks of The Mersey. We would have to drive there so it is not allowed.

We don't have a bathroom at the moment so I hope, on Wednesday when the new bathroom is complete, to have a new lease of life for a big clear up. In the meantime I am building up the energy to stand in a paddling pool in the kitchen and pour water over my head!

Kim19 Sat 27-Feb-21 07:31:54

What's the rush? Do things when the mood takes you. Things that 'have' to be done somehow happen as if by rote. The others are for pleasure. Jumper sleeve? Just wear another one. Veg patch will happen as Mother Nature has a way of luring us out. Exercise? What's that. How about digging the veg patch? Two birds...... sorted!

Kim19 Sat 27-Feb-21 07:36:13

Continue......!! Got all the ingredients for a declared 'delicious' meal I saw on telly. It was rubbish. You'll get no motivation from me on that score. Hope yours is an old faithful recipe. Up at 7a.m.? Blimey! That's still into the night for me! I think you're doing fine. You certainly made me smile so.,.... thanks for that.

M0nica Sat 27-Feb-21 07:44:45

Notagran In our household, it is known as 'clockwork mouse syndrome' because I be come like a clockwork mouse whose spring needs rewinding.

And I totally agree with the last sentence. I work best with a bit of pressure on me. I have done a lot of work the last two days because I had 2 Zoom committee meetings, so did a lot of paperwork and sorting, not just work for the meetings, but several other small things that I had missed and were now critically urgent!

Jaxjacky Sat 27-Feb-21 08:03:22

Notagran55 I was the same working and things that were on ‘the list* disappeared, fell off the bottom, so weren’t really essential at all. Now, my ‘list’ sort of rolls over; but, nothing breaks if it doesn’t get done, just my own conscience to answer to.

MerylStreep Sat 27-Feb-21 08:21:39

I've always had lots of energy and motivation. In the first lockdown I painted all the inside and outside of the bungalow.
At the begging of this one it was just general 'stuff'
But now the sun is likely to be here for a week I'm painting the two garden sheds. That includes taking out the windows and new putty.
I had to cut down the winter clematis covering both of them.
OH made new doors for both sheds.
I don't find it a chore as I enjoy painting.

silverlining48 Sat 27-Feb-21 08:24:49

It is said that Procrastination is the thief of time. Probably true but I am another who procrastinates.

honeyrose Sat 27-Feb-21 09:31:27

I’m a terrible procrastinator (or should I’m GOOD at procrastinating because I always put things off, always have done). I keep a to-do list, but it never seems to be done. I do feel satisfied when I knock something off the to-do list and then that sometimes spurs me on to taking another task off the list. I am retired, have a lot of time on my hands, and don’t get bored easily as I find plenty to do, but I still put things off which really bothers me. Can’t seem to help it! Motivation is obviously lacking for me.

Hetty58 Sat 27-Feb-21 09:48:39

Grammajules, I've let go of all the guilt about unfinished (and not even started) projects.

The most vitally important thing is to enjoy your days, cut yourself some slack and have patience with yourself.

After all, nobody else really cares about how much you do, what you achieve - or how efficient you are.

I do like that feeling of progress, though. (It's just a hangover from being told, so often, to 'make yourself useful'.) I find it's easily done with just a half hour of 'work' per day.

Some small thing to show for it, something to admire, like a clean window, a shrub planted, a few more rows knitted, is quite enough. We mustn't overdo it!

Hetty58 Sat 27-Feb-21 09:50:14

(So, set that kitchen timer for 30 minutes, do something until it rings - then relax!)

Redhead56 Sat 27-Feb-21 10:13:19

I did dig my raised veg patch over and filled baskets with bulbs etc. Regarding everything else I am oblivious to other tasks that really need attention. I do basic house work and I love to cook and bake. I have no motivation what so ever for anything else. I am going for my first vaccination tomorrow here’s hoping It gives me my mojo back!

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 27-Feb-21 10:52:51

Still trying to finish the nothing I was doing yesterday, maybe tomorrow?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 27-Feb-21 10:56:47

I was going to reply to this yesterday, but I thought I’d leave it........

Shirlb Sat 27-Feb-21 10:59:02

Is it a age thing ?I use to be good at achieving targets but now easier to just say tomorrow or why ?☹️?

honeyrose Sat 27-Feb-21 11:52:26

I’ve just knocked something off my to-do list! Hooray!! I was putting off writing a text I found a little bit awkward to word correctly and politely and I’ve now done it. Is my mojo coming back?! I’m off to prune my roses now - another to-do list thing knocked off. Seriously though, I do think I give myself a hard time over things I’ve meant to do as none of them matter that much. One thing I have been putting off, though, and I really shouldn’t be putting it off, is setting up Powers of Attorney for me and DH. Hopefully won’t be needed for some time, but you never know. I really ought to attend to that - maybe next week?! I just can’t face it.

Witzend Sat 27-Feb-21 11:56:56

Lots of things involving any sort of housework!
But as long as it looks vaguely presentable, I honestly don’t care.
Once we can have guests again, I shall be putting my glasses on in order to see the dust, and having a proper blitz. Or a bit of a blitz, anyway.

Nell8 Sat 27-Feb-21 13:43:11

Hello, Grammajules
Here's an exercise I was given as homework to help me get my mojo back when I got stuck in a rut.
Get an A4 sheet of paper. Make three columns. On the left hand side make a narrow one headed Time, to the right make two wider ones headed Pleasure and Achievement. Under Time write 30 minute intervals down the page e.g. 7.30 to 8.00: 8.00 to 8.30 etc.

Alongside the time slots record your experiences throughout the day, for example,

7.30 - 8.00
Under "Pleasure"- opened curtains to sunshine; noticed robin on bird feeder; enjoyed coffee
Under "Achievement" - loaded washing machine; wiped worktop; thought about garden

It sounds ludicrously simple but somehow I found I ended up looking for things to do to fill up my Achievement list. Then that gave a feeling of Pleasure to record on the other list!

We've all been in hibernation for too long. Hopefully our sap's starting to rise and we'll soon feel like tackling some of those unfinished jobs that are dragging us down! smile

Cabbie21 Sat 27-Feb-21 14:23:56

I don’t do much ironing but I let the few things that do need it mount up. Last weekend the pile was big enough to go on my To Do list. I have put it off every day for the last week, but now it is done! Actually a week is quite quick, it can be three weeks.

Rufus2 Sun 28-Feb-21 10:32:23

Good Evening Nell8

Your idea is very clever! smile
It wouldn't work for me though as I'm never motivated enough in the morning to go looking for a sheet of A4 paper, a ruler and a pen that works. grin
Good Health