Gransnet forums

Chat

disposal of spectacles help please

(44 Posts)
infoman Mon 01-Mar-21 08:51:08

I know that some charity shops use to take spectacles,
is this still the case? does any one know which ones.
So I know where to dispose of them when lock down ends.

Froglady Mon 01-Mar-21 08:53:28

I used to take any old spectacles to Specsavers as they sent them to third world countries. During the pandemic they have stopped doing this and I don't know whether it's just a local scheme or universal. The local Lions was also involved with this scheme.

NotAGran55 Mon 01-Mar-21 08:55:23

Any optician should take them . Vision Express definitely do .

BlueBelle Mon 01-Mar-21 08:59:18

No notagran no one seems to take them now I carried a bag to town before Christmas and tried all the opticians and Boots pharmacy who use to
They all refused me and in desperation at Boots opticians I said well can you put them in your bin for me please as I have to do shopping and can’t carry this bag round as well and she spoke to her manager then refused me

Oldwoman70 Mon 01-Mar-21 09:09:04

My local authority take them along with the recycling - why not check with your LA

lemsip Mon 01-Mar-21 09:09:55

yes take them to specsavers . they are collected and donated to somewhere

muse Mon 01-Mar-21 09:15:36

I think most used opticians take them. I take my used contact lenses to Boots. They have to be bagged up first. I took some last October. Think the manager of the Boots you went to was being a little too awkward.

Just googled this. VisionAid overseas don't recycle glasses anymore because of covid. Maybe all opticians are doing the same. Perhaps we will have to bin them. Pity.

chelseababy Mon 01-Mar-21 09:38:09

Specsavers wouldn't take them when I asked and that was pre covid.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Mar-21 09:40:11

lemsip see my and chelsea post

BigBertha1 Mon 01-Mar-21 09:40:53

Specsavers took mine.

FindingNemo15 Mon 01-Mar-21 09:42:06

I took some to our local opticians and in turn they are collected by the Rotary Club. Our SpecSavers take them too.

BlueBelle Mon 01-Mar-21 09:46:16

Must depend on the area or are you meaning some savers take them NOW ours used to but don’t now !
Our charity shop used to but doesn’t any more neither do we save used batteries they used to be collected but all that stopped too

Marydoll Mon 01-Mar-21 09:52:55

Specsavers did take them, but stopped during the pandemic.
It's the same with pharmacies and unused medicatiom. I have a bundle waiting to be disposed of.

midgey Mon 01-Mar-21 10:04:41

My local optician says she will take them but not the cases!

Hilarybee Mon 01-Mar-21 10:42:37

When we sorted through my parents bungalow we found all their spectacles from down the years. Fortunately our local recycling/tip centre takes them so they ended up there. It’s worth checking their website

mrswoo Mon 01-Mar-21 10:55:57

Specsavers used to collect them pre-covid they would then be cleaned, the prescription checked and sent to VisionAid overseas. It's a charity that Specsavers work closely with and many of their staff volunteer to go out to countries where getting a sight test and affordable glasses is a rarity.
I have watched a very moving video of the work that is done and the impact a pair of glasses has on adults and children alike.
Hopefully, Specsavers will once again accept old glasses in the not too distant future so hold onto them for now. Varifocals, bifocals and single vision glasses are all welcome but they dont want the cases.

ChocolateMango Mon 01-Mar-21 11:02:00

I am currently dealing with my father-in-laws belongings after he passed away a few weeks ago from Covid. I am trying very hard to ‘recycle’ what I can and I’m actually posting his old glasses today to a charity I found online called Peep Eyewear (Donations).

Maggieanne Mon 01-Mar-21 11:08:13

Bluebell, most supermarkets and many other shops take batteries. If you can't get out perhaps someone would take them for you. They really shouldn't be put in with the rubbish,nasty, contaminating things!

grandMattie Mon 01-Mar-21 11:09:22

Specsavers take old specs but not at the moment. Hang on to them...

DeeDe Mon 01-Mar-21 11:11:21

Won't local charity shops take them once they re open
Better than wasting them, and I'm sure someone here be grateful for a nice pair specs grin

Riggie Mon 01-Mar-21 11:13:48

The Boots optician near us does. Althoigh the donation box is in an office so you have to have them in at the counter.

Not sure if covid has affected it.

jaylucy Mon 01-Mar-21 11:15:50

When I worked at Specsavers, cleaning the donated specs was part of my job. Some weren't too bad and just needed a thorough wipe with anti bac wipes. Others were really revolting and had to be put in the sonic bath in the glazing lab!
Every little bit of the specs are used - if the lenses are damaged, the frames can often be used for spare parts, right down to the screws.

Hilarybee Mon 01-Mar-21 11:16:24

And our local recycling centre also takes batteries

janipans Mon 01-Mar-21 11:16:54

I think that not taking them "due to Covid" is a complete cop out! These things are hard surfaces and can easily be cleaned with alcohol wipes or even completely immersed in a disinfectant solution if necessary!

PamelaJ1 Mon 01-Mar-21 11:23:50

I was in Specsavers a couple of weeks ago and heard a woman ask where she should put her old specs.
They definitely aren’t accepting any.
Just keep them till all Covid has gone.