Gransnet forums

Chat

Husband's eclectic wardrobe

(89 Posts)
muse Fri 05-Mar-21 10:17:55

When I met MrM 7 years ago, his wardrobe surprised me a little.
Nearly 100% of his clothes are from charity sources. A few friends work in different ones and look out for items for him.
He will not buy anything new except work boots and work clothing (which is more for protection/safety). I've bought him a few items. New shirt and tie for when we married for example.

How would you describe your husband/partner's attire? Do you have any influence over it?

Peasblossom Fri 05-Mar-21 10:23:26

No influence at all, but then he’d been buying his own clothes for more than forty years when I met him.

I admit I tried to put him into a pair of tight jeans but he reverted to the baggy ones after one go (sigh)

Missfoodlove Fri 05-Mar-21 11:00:48

Since suits are rarely worn for business now, he wears smart casual if he’s working.
Favoured brands are Gant and Barbour.
For casual and about the house he loves his Rohan jeans and walking trousers.
He tends to invest in quality and doesn’t buy often.
In the days when we could travel abroad, he loved to shop in France, Czech and Holland.

Luckygirl Fri 05-Mar-21 11:08:43

My OH used to cajoled by me to replace old items; then they would sit in the wardrobe for at least a year - he was "getting used to them"! Once they were fully fermented he would wear them to rags.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:10:50

My Dh is not interested in designer anything, he wears what he feels comfortable in, he will always say do you like this etc, if I do I will say so, yes I buy him different items of clothing that I know he will wear and like, but ultimately he buys his own,

midgey Fri 05-Mar-21 11:11:37

When I read the title of this thread I read electric! I was very impressed.

Alexa Fri 05-Mar-21 11:13:37

I too would have liked Mr M. Lucky you, muse!.

Franbern Fri 05-Mar-21 11:14:16

Woops - I read this as electric wardrobe!!!

Jaxjacky Fri 05-Mar-21 11:15:31

MrJ lives in jeans, short sleeved shirts and in the winter, a jumper, shoe/boots. The only change is when he’s playing golf. I buy him the odd item, usually M&S or Next. His work clothes are his old jeans and polo shirts with toe tec trainers.

timetogo2016 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:17:32

Me too Franbern,and i thought what will he do if theres a power cut ooooooooops.

No influence onDh`s clothing at all.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:21:41

He's hardly thrown anything out unless it's worn out, DDs usually buy him shirts for B/Ds. If anyone is doing a clearout he will great-fully receive shirts - he must have over 100 shirts but is always will to adopt another!

BigBertha1 Fri 05-Mar-21 11:24:50

DH would be naked or at best Man at Milletts if I didn't buy his clothes. Every now and again (like every few years) he decides he is going to buy some things - internet usually- buys a load of rubbish and we send it back. Overall he lives in jeans and Ben Shermans. DD2 calls him a 70s dude.

Blossoming Fri 05-Mar-21 11:29:34

Mr. B veers between Ray Mears and Kevin and Perry go Large.

GranEd Fri 05-Mar-21 11:37:59

Oops I read it as electric wardrobe as well. ?

DH has no interest in clothes at all and has never shopped for his own. What he has fits onto one rail and is all bought by me!

At least I have plenty of wardrobe space!!! ?

Callistemon Fri 05-Mar-21 11:43:49

M&S mainly because for some reason their men's clothing is still much better quality than the women's.

Perhaps because M&S try too hard with women's clothing and fails but the men's clothing range still offers classic styling.

Some nicer, more expensive sweaters chosen by me but he prefers ones with holes in.
DH has never, ever worn a pair of jeans.

ninathenana Fri 05-Mar-21 11:44:38

Husband has smart casual and work gear for his gardening jobs.
He is really not interested in clothes, I will show him items and I usually just get "Ok"

Tabbycat Fri 05-Mar-21 11:45:04

When I met my husband he was wedded to a pair of vintage old basketball boots - they were falling apart and, quite frankly, stank!
The first time I saw him in his underpants - I was stunned and tried hard not to laugh. They were huge, purple paisley, nylon Y-fronts, which his mother bought for him from M & S!
He replaced the Y fronts sharpish, but it took me years to get rid of the boots - I kept putting them in the bin, somehow they kept sneaking back into the house!

DillytheGardener Fri 05-Mar-21 11:52:26

My husband takes pride in his clothing and buys brands like Ralph Lauren polo shirts and Nike trainers, but the bulk of his clothes I buy through Next. (If only he would reduce the size of his tum so they fit him better!) Younger son also likes Next and I send him items to Canada, his mother still buys his smalls in his mid 20’s ?

LauraNorder Fri 05-Mar-21 12:09:34

I’d say Orlin’s style is similar to Michael Portillo. Not sure if I’ve had any influence but looking back at old photos he used to have a more sober look.

Redhead56 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:13:03

We had a small business it used to annoy me because my husband wouldn’t dress smart for work. His favourite trousers have about ten pockets for keys etc etc! We are retired now so he doesn’t need them but he still wears them.
I buy his clothes but don’t tell him the cost he still thinks prices should be as they were in the 1960s.
I decide his outfit for a night or meal out in (normal times) as he has no idea how to match clothes.

Kate1949 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:16:45

My DH looks good in anything which is very annoying for me grin He wears jeans, check shirts, bright jumpers. Tee shirts and shorts in summer. He's not remotely interested in being fashionable but he's one of those people. He's nearly 75 but has stayed slim (without trying), has decent hair. One hour in the sun and he is brown. I have to try hard at everything. It's not fair!

Rendella Fri 05-Mar-21 12:29:14

Absolutely everything apart from shoes, they are purchased from Clark’s usually, in my husband’s wardrobe is purchased from Marks and Spencers. My DH favours traditional styling, and he never wears jeans. My DD jokes that he wears a uniform, as he wears a shirt, slacks, and v neck jumper every day come rain or shine.

foxie48 Fri 05-Mar-21 12:32:21

My OH has zero interest in clothes, if it's blue he'll probably wear it. We've been together for 35 years and I have tried to get him to buy one good suit (another who can eat what he wants and he never puts on weight) but have never succeeded. He rarely needs one but if he'd got one in the first place, he'd have had some use out of it by now! I can buy the rest of the stuff he needs but not a suit!!

Grany Fri 05-Mar-21 12:44:26

Gets everything from SportsDirect jogging bottoms t shirts ect his favourite shop.

Luckygirl Fri 05-Mar-21 12:47:46

My OH had this strange quirk of hating trying on shoes in shops and never would - he would just grab a pair in the size he thought he was and trot off home.

He once took a new and unused pair of sandals on holiday and when we got there he had two left sandals!