Gransnet forums

Chat

Lord Frost tells the EU ‘stop sulking over Brexit!’ ✅

(29 Posts)
Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 09:43:26

❤️ it. In the Sunday Telegraph:

“BRUSSELS must stop sulking over the UK’s decision to leave the European Union and work to make Brexit a success, Boris Johnson’s Europe adviser says today.

Lord Frost says the EU should “shake off any remaining ill will towards us for leaving, and instead build a friendly relationship, between sovereign equals”.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 07-Mar-21 09:53:19

Good to read that the government is loosening control of our borders to ensure food supplies are not compromised. Perhaps this will have a positive impact on the OBRs estimate on a fall of 4% as a result of Brexit.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:03:50

It is interesting though that Gove is willing to loosen controls, to try to keep the supermarkets stocked and food shortages averted, even though he insisted by using unpublished and unquantifiable data that Brexit had had no impact on trade.

I see Gove was reprimanded by the Office for National statistics for lying. Although I doubt anyone is surprised as lying is this governments modus operandi.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 10:19:40

Maybe Gove didn’t expect the EU to be so bluddy awkward in their interpretation of the agreement? They want us to fail. It sends a message to the other member states. I think the cracks are showing within the EU!

Alegrias1 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:22:51

Oh FGS Ug. Still promulgating that little fantasy?

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 10:23:52

David Frost in his article in the Sunday Telegraph says:

“Unfortunately, the action taken by the EU in late January on their vaccines regulation, and the improper invocation of Article 16, has significantly undermined cross-community confidence in the protocol. As the government of the whole of our country we have to deal with that situation – one that remains fragile. That is why we have had to take some temporary operational steps to minimise disruption in Northern Ireland.

They are lawful and are consistent with a progressive and good faith implementation of the protocol. They are about protecting the everyday lives of people in Northern Ireland, making sure they can receive parcels and buy the usual groceries from the supermarket.

Without this threat of disruption we can continue our discussions with the EU to resolve difficulties arising from the protocol constructively – and we aim to do so.”

Whitewavemark2 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:30:49

He would say that wouldn’t he?

Kim19 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:33:02

I'm just relieved that Covid has pushed all these shenanigans on to the inside pages of news otherwise it would still be exorcism for us all whereas the powers that be can deal with it out of the limelight.

Blossoming Sun 07-Mar-21 10:33:59

Very interesting, thanks Urms

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 10:37:39

?

Nezumi65 Sun 07-Mar-21 10:40:16

Surely he’s told Torygraph readers that, rather than the EU. The Torygraph is completely insane about Europe so no doubt they’ll lap it up.

nanna8 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:01:58

Is this another David Frost? I thought he died a while back.

Nezumi65 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:34:05

It's this one Nanna en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Frost,_Baron_Frost

Nezumi65 Sun 07-Mar-21 11:34:53

Oh you'll have to cut and paste. Gransnet doesn't like the comma in the url!

Urmstongran Sun 07-Mar-21 17:17:46

David Frost.
The ‘details man’ the details people go to apparently. Very clever chap.
He negotiated Brexit once Boris won his stonking majority to ‘Get Brexit Done’.
Took over from Olly Robbins (under Mrs Nebulous).
He knows his stuff.
He’s more robust than Gove. I think he’s great.
We’re in safer hands now he’s in charge of dealing with the truculent EU (since 1st March).
He’s not one to take any nonsense. Barnier said he was ‘formidable’.

Nezumi65 Sun 07-Mar-21 20:53:17

God I thought you were taking the piss. You’re being serious aren’t you? grin

I’m going to be laughing to myself all night

vegansrock Mon 08-Mar-21 05:27:48

Blimey still stirring the pot that it’s “all the EU’s fault”? who started it? Who asked to leave in the first place? Who drew up this so called oven ready deal and signed off on it? Now the shit is hitting the fan for so many businesses and suppliers, stocks running low on loads of things , (no cat food left in Tesco folks! ) This government already reneging on the deal and digging up the old one of the EUs quickly withdrawn threat over vaccines, we are actually going to do what we whinged about them threatening to do, ( but didn’t ) .

vegansrock Mon 08-Mar-21 06:19:22

Playground name-calling the EU hadn’t worked for 4+ years so why Frost thinks it will work now is anybody’s guess.

Urmstongran Mon 08-Mar-21 07:56:16

He knows his stuff. He was in the negotiations and will know when the EU is being awkward, by not applying the spirit of the deal. He’s called them out on it. Good.

Nezumi65 Mon 08-Mar-21 08:08:29

Outside the brown nosing of the Torygraph the Irish aren’t that impressed with him www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/frost-dispenses-with-the-manual-of-diplomacy-for-ni-protocol-1.4501591

vegansrock Mon 08-Mar-21 08:08:43

So the U.K. is not “being awkward” ( whatever that means) at any point, particularly in threatening to break the agreement?

Urmstongran Mon 08-Mar-21 08:24:09

Well we will have to agree to disagree ladies. I’m just delighted ‘Frosty’ is back behind the wheel. The next few weeks will be very interesting. Remember you read it here first.
??

AmberSpyglass Mon 08-Mar-21 08:55:31

Why should they make Brexit a success? We’re out so it’s got nothing to do with them.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 08-Mar-21 09:08:33

I do think Lord Frost is a canny negotiator, and there are still a lot of fine details to be sorted!

Parsley3 Mon 08-Mar-21 09:35:31

At last, a lighthearted political thread. Frosty the details man thinks he is negotiating with a sulky teenager. He does know that we have left the EU and the member states have countries of their own to think about, doesn’t he? But still if telling us that big, bad Brussels won’t be friends with him deflects from his ability to negotiate, then that will suffice for now. Fortunately, we the public are not that stupid.