Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming and supportive kitchen for kindly folk...

(1000 Posts)
soop Tue 23-Mar-21 12:57:16

Here we are again
Happy as can be
All good friends and jolly good company.

Welcome. Take a seat and enjoy our opening day celebration.

Charleygirl5 Tue 23-Mar-21 13:05:29

We outgrew our last kitchen very quickly.

The sun is out here which is a minor miracle.

I really am fed up making decisions about food 7 days a week.

I am delighted to hear that Fern returned to the hotel for food. I think after Covid, I will be joining her. I do not like puddings- I prefer savoury food please, especially fish.

BladeAnnie Tue 23-Mar-21 13:13:47

Ooh I've got here quickly to your lovely new kitchen soop, bringing again my pink lady apples. I am pleased they are so well liked and I've just had my stocks replenished courtesy of sainsbury's!! Off shortly to deliver my mum's shopping and I'm sure she'll have some jobs to keep Mr BA out of mischief for a while grin. Virtual hugs all around as usual and please stay safe

BladeAnnie Tue 23-Mar-21 13:16:01

And of course Duncan wanted to pop into the new kitchen.......!!

Susan56 Tue 23-Mar-21 13:31:35

Just popping in to say hello??We’re looking after our three year old grandson today so will try and pop back later if we aren’t too shattered!!

Glad that Fern has made a reappearance?
TOYA

Susan56 Tue 23-Mar-21 13:40:26

I have just read the last posts on the old kitchen.So pleased you had a positive discussion with your GP soop.My daughter takes amitriptyline to help with her pain and it has helped her to manage full time work and a lively toddler and have a relatively ‘normal’ life.I hope it gives you the same results.

Your GP sounds lovely and so caring.Hope you get a good outcome from the discussions with the drop bot surgeon too???

Grandmafrench Tue 23-Mar-21 13:52:38

Hello Tuesday Kitcheners

Just popping in to stake my claim on a small corner cupboard where I can keep my sacred supply of Earl Grey Decaff. I'm not averse to a nice cold glass of something sparkling, or a warming glass of anything - but I do love a cup of Earl Grey. So, thought I would make sure that the new kitchen was equipped for random visits! My tea has to be imported from Ireland, so I should really keep it in a safe.

Am hanging about in the bottom of our (empty) pool, 'assisting with the tiling!' (That's such a joke). What I actually do is clean off adhesive and grout, endlessly rinse out cloths in a bucket of water and attempt to spend far too much time with a wonderful Siamese girlie who slinks down our drive from a distant neighbour because she was used to doing that when our dear Nouba was alive. She's adorable and the perfect time-waster has turned up today for a sun-filled afternoon outdoors. 17 degrees today and no blasted wind! So I have a facefull of Factor 50. I had to give up washing some of the tiles on the pool surround as that puss cat kept diving full length out of the bushes and onto the cloth, which she then wouldn't let go. Well, all cat owners here will know how dangerous and unpredictable cleaning cloths can be - cats need to keep them firmly in their place at all times. I bet Duncan agrees.

No news of lovely Mia, I suppose. ?

Hopefully one day soon you might be able to eat out occasionally, just for a change, Charley. I can't wait! Susan we shall watch for the sedan chair to pull up in the kitchen and tip your poor exhausted person into a big cushiony armchair. Drinks will be poured, lamps will be dimmed and music and chatter the same - to allow you to properly recover from A Henry Day !

Back soon, lovely peeps ! x

Yiayia4 Tue 23-Mar-21 14:20:46

What a bright new cosy kitchen so nice to be here.
Enjoy your afternoon everyone.

silverlining48 Tue 23-Mar-21 14:35:01

Hello, its been a while since i last popped by. Looks like spring is on the way, have just got back from an unexpectedly long ( 5 miles)walk. I wore the weing boots and my feet and back are aching and burning at the same time.
My dh has just brought me a cheesey sandwich, that will certainly cheer me up almost as much as getting my second vaccination on Saturday. My greetimgs to all.

silverlining48 Tue 23-Mar-21 14:36:02

Wrong boots, not wee-ing boots. Tsk!

Grandmabatty Tue 23-Mar-21 15:05:00

I could do with a cup of Earl grey Grandmafrench. Dgs has been playing (supervised) in the garden and many plants have been'watered'. He has also been watered and his clothes,shoes and waterproof suit is currently drying on various radiators. We were at a local park this morning and both of us were covered in sand. Soop I'm glad Fern has returned. Puzzler those were lovely tulips. Drawing time now. See you all later .

soop Tue 23-Mar-21 15:16:02

silverlinings Welcome back. These boots are made for walking...as the song goes.

Grandmafrench I have a vision of you snorkeling in your pool, 'though minus water, that would prove to be a tad tricky.

Thank you, Susan You are a kind lady.

Charleygirl and BladeAnnie (not forgetting Duncan) and Yiayia and all you lovely lot, make yourselves comfortable and enjoy the first afternoon in the new abode.

soop Tue 23-Mar-21 15:18:43

Grandmabatty Children relish the opportunity to water whatever. No better way to keep a child totally occupied. You, too, it seems. wink

silverlining48 Tue 23-Mar-21 15:25:35

Oh Soop, i miscalculated apparently i did closer to 7 miles. Is it any wonder i havnt moved from the sofa. My poor feet.

Maybe i need a another cup of Earl Grey. Grandmafrench what a wonderful store you have.

kittylester Tue 23-Mar-21 15:31:35

Is there a cupboard full of builder's tea? With sugar. Having one of those days! Well, to be fair - DH is having one of those days but appears to find it impossible to have one on his own!!

I'll just go and lie down over there with my {brew}

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-Mar-21 15:48:18

I am definitely having a day the one year GC has spent so much time in baby jail (playpen) that last time I said no he went in on his own and closed the gate himself!

(Lovely new kitchen soop , your GP sounds really caring and understanding)

Baggs Tue 23-Mar-21 15:54:25

English Breakfast tea for me, please. I have a new chainsaw and have been cutting logs. Went for a shower after and found tick number two of the year on my leg. They are a real nuisance here because wild deer think our garden is theirs and wander through nearly every day. I have to put cages of chicken wire round plants I don't want them to eat. The doe in the pictures snoozed for about two hours on the front terrace, about three metres away from the front door the other day, the cheeky blighter. MrB says she'll be wanting a seat in front of the fire next!

Jaxjacky Tue 23-Mar-21 16:07:21

Comfy kitchen, place of respite.
Silverlining sounds like you should patent wee-ing boots for festivals, after 7 miles I’d need them!
soop and Yia hurrah for understanding GP’s who hopefully prove action is louder than words. Well, I had, for me, the health anxiety team leader, a really good medical MOT this morning, BP I took all last week is fine, weight is within BMI, fine, glasses of ?per week fine. So, buoyed up by this, off I trotted to the allotment for another thirty minutes of digging, early potatoes are in. My dentist just phoned, appt on 7th April delayed until the 21st, good because I hate it, bad because I need a lot of work done, including removal of teeth, dentures and something like rendering on the top front ones, a worry deferred.
I’ll pop back later before I become ensconced in this comfy kitchen chair.

Doodle Tue 23-Mar-21 16:33:54

Thank you soop for bringing my comfy chair over from the old kitchen. This new one is nice.
Good to hear you managed a chat with your Gp. Hope the new meds help. Pleased Fern came back for her meal.
Duncan is very good looking BladeAnnie
Baggs nice to have an update on minibaggs. Hard to believe she is at Uni ?
Hope there is good news of Mia soon.

soop Tue 23-Mar-21 16:39:50

Baggs We have deer chomp the heads off new flowering shoots, almost always during the night. A very pregnant doe did play ball and stayed the right side of the fence. When the cat and deer set eyes on each other, the deer stomped on the ground. The cat sat in a bit of a trance, as if to say, I'm the boss in this garden, stomp away!
Ticks are horrible wee thugs. Please do take great care. I've only ever discovered one on my person. It was attached to my belly and extremely bloated. We were living in Dartmouth at the time, the tick was carried indoors on the fur of our cat. Someone used a cig end to burn it off. Not recommended. I felt out of sorts for a day or two.

Jaxjacky Don't overdo the labouring on the allotment. I know exactly how you feel about the dental appointment being shifted. I go weak-kneed at the thought of the dentist's laid back chair.

silverlinings Seven miles! We'll make a fresh pot of tea and use the best china. Sit back and nibble on a Baggs flapjack.

GrannyGravy Your post has raised a huge grin. A lovely way to close the day, for me.

Until we meet again tomorrow- smile moon and most importantly, thank you.

brook2704 Tue 23-Mar-21 17:14:16

Oooh I’ve found you all in the new kitchen - what a lovely place to be
I’m just settling down with a cup of tea - nothing as posh as yours grandmafrench but I do like it in my very special mug. Now one of baggs flapjacks will do the trick too... thank you for the recipe!
Good to see Duncan here too BA he can sit right next to me on the sofa ..
Very well done with your walk silverlining hope your poor feet recover soon
Hope you’ve settled into your comfy chair now doodle
We have hungry deer at the bottom of the garden too - lovely to watch but we also need the fence to keep them out and stop them eating all the plants ... I think the dreaded ticks are everywhere now, I’ve been ok so far but DH found one attached last year - yuk ?

Nannytopsy Tue 23-Mar-21 18:17:43

Hello the kitchen! Lovely views and the sofa is very comfy too! I have driven for 5 hours today - helping DS return a very dodgy second hand car. Neither our car nor I have travelled that far in a year. As a result I have a G&T and will be early to bed. ?
Hope everyone has a good evening.

Grandmafrench Tue 23-Mar-21 19:12:08

I've just laughed out loud at kitty and GrannyGravys posts. You poor souls, a heartfelt cry for tea and sympathy - or something stronger - is heard by us all. I used to have an adorable sheep dog like your 1 year old, GG. When young, she used to take herself off into her crate, sit there with a fair amount of eye-rolling and long sighs which used to save me from telling her off. We'd get together once we had both arrived at better moods. Some days are just like that, aren't they.

I do have Breakfast Tea, Baggs - or certainly DH will be willing to share some of his stash. (Oh, see what I did there? Tea Baggs? Just noticed that.) Since you seem to be the Flapjack Queen, you're probably used to open house wherever you fancy! Earl Grey and a bit of a lie down for you, young Batty? Nothing posh about Earl Grey, brook, it's just after 40 odd years I find it difficult to drink anything else on its own. But I'm happy to drink almost anything as long as I have something to eat with it, but 'builders' is a bit strong for me on its own. Would you describe PG Tips or Yorkshire Tea, builders? Almost everyone I know LOVES Yorkshire Tea but I just find it too strong - even if I just wave the tea bag at the kettle, so I suppose I must stick to what suits. silverlining after that monster walk in the wrong boots - was it Wallace & Gromit who starred in The Wrong Trousers? - you deserve a long lie down with maybe intravenous Earl Grey so you can remain horizontal.

I absolutely love deer, but the only time we used to have them in our garden, they would eat the roses. I think, in that case, I'd rate them as quite disappointing guests. Ticks! Oh my. You need to be sure to get rid of those blighters and don't risk them leaving their heads behind as you try to remove them. I should imagine if you have pets, you will all have seen the little tick removers that you can find at the Vet. Cost almost nothing for two little plastic thingies - like a two pronged fork, one small, one larger. You slide the appropriate size V shape around the tick, which is then trapped. You twirl the handle of the thingy around with a finger and the pressure and twirling forces the tick to let go. They come out in one piece to be disposed of, as opposed to leaving some part of their anatomy behind which sets up infection. Works every single time. A bonus for the dogs. One of the few creatures that makes me feel quite ill, and there are so many different types of them.

NannyT what an adventure - bet you won't want to go out for such a reason again! I'm tired after my waterless snorkelling, soop, so will be off for an early night tonight.

Take care, relax and sleep well, lovely Kitchen peeps. x
Hugs from French France (mmmm, probably not your favourite place at the moment, sorry.)

Urmstongran Tue 23-Mar-21 19:21:24

‘Evening All’

I’m relaxed and enjoying a glass of Shiraz. I don’t usually drink on a Tuesday but felt quite frazzled and had a bit of a wobble earlier listening to Professor Whitty. I know most of us have days like this now and again. Plus, my earache and throat pain is back and after four months with it that makes me low and anxious. I have an ultrasound scan of my neck in four weeks and an ENT appointment. I need to get a grip.

Hope all of us has a peaceful night. Sorry to bring my concerns to this lovely new kitchen. x

Susan56 Tue 23-Mar-21 19:44:00

GrannyGravy, baby jail did make me laugh?

We were looking after Barnaby today Grandmafrench so not as exhausting!Two days to gear up for Master H!

Sorry you are unwell again Urmstongran.Hopefully you will get some answers at your hospital appointment.

I am going to put my feet up now and watch Celebrity Bake off.

Have a restful evening everyone?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion