Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(75 Posts)
12Michael Thu 08-Apr-21 06:10:09

Good Morning Everyone,
Its getting light here this morning , but looks dry and cold outside here in Brackley .
Today , after a breakie , will do a rubbish trip to the bins , then later get the bus to Bicester for an hour, just to break away.
I shall watch cycling on TV on return with a race from the Basque area of Spain .
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Thu 08-Apr-21 06:23:17

Good morning from a grey, cold E Kent.

I have finished the famous quilt last night – here are the results. Those black strips on the back are all hand sewn, all 17 of them, as well as the border

Conversation with DH yesterday [fully clothed, grandmaFrench]. [I should mention that I made both my appointments online at the same time]

DH - When is your second vaccine?
Me - On the 22nd.
DH -Are you sure?
Me - Yes. Why?
DH - Because I’ve been looking at your card and it says the 15th!
Me – My birthday?
DH -Oh yes. Would you check online for the date?
Me – OK. (Fiddle around and find that it is indeed 22nd.)
DH – I’ve calculated that it would be only 11 weeks since your 1st vaccination. It should be after my vaccination.
Me - Sorry about that. And I’m sorry that you’re upset that mine will be before you have yours.
DH -I’m not upset! (Goes off in high dudgeon!)

Not a lot else happening. I trust that everyone will have a reasonable day today, find relief from pain, distress and anxiety.

grandMattie Thu 08-Apr-21 06:30:51

can't manage to download photos. Shall try again later.

Ashcombe Thu 08-Apr-21 06:33:50

Good morning from an overcast and calm Torbay.

Following the concern of a few Gransnetters regarding the meeting I attended at Brixham Museum, I spoke to the organiser yesterday afternoon. He reassured me by explaining that he had checked beforehand and the museum has permission to allow meetings of small nos. of people (there were four of us), providing all precautions are observed and it is being held to further the work of the museum.

Yesterday would have been my nephew's 51st birthday but we lost him to cystic fibrosis when he was 23 years old. I spent some time messaging my niece with our reminiscences about this rather special young man, who took his difficulties in his stride and faced everything with great resilience. It’s wonderful that scientists are now finding better treatments and working towards a a cure one day.

This morning I am looking forward to a Zoom call with DD2 and family whilst they’re on holiday from school. It’s eight months since I last saw them in person but at least DGS2 (10) and DGD (8) are old enough to remember me. And in six weeks' time, I hope to go to stay with them.

Thank you, Grandmafrench, for your amusing account of your vaccination, so typical of encounters with French folk seeking to use the English words they’ve learnt! Talking of communication, I think it’s not always easy to know quite how words are intended when they’re written rather than spoken, Marydoll - tone of voice and facial expressions, absent from the written word, give us a better idea in conversation.

Have as good a day as possible, everyone, with relief from pain and worries of any kind. ?

grandMattie Thu 08-Apr-21 06:38:26

After a lot of fiddling...

Beechnut Thu 08-Apr-21 06:55:23

That’s wonderful Mattie, especially for a boy. Also your flowers Sar that’s a lot of crosses.

Good Morning everyone from Severnside. It’s dry and looking a bit dull. I thought it was quite chilly yesterday.

Bd changing and bathroom cleaning today with some hand sewing thrown in for good measure.

Have the best day you can all and hope you have a good reason to be perky?

Sar53 Thu 08-Apr-21 06:57:43

Good morning from Essex by the sea. It looks like the sun may appear later, I spy a little blue sky.
DH had his biopsy yesterday, stitches out in 7 days, hopefully he will get the results soon. I'm glad I went with him to drive him home. He looked a bit shell shocked when he came out.
I have an appointment with a new, very expensive private dentist this morning. I'm having problems with my gums and this dentist has been recommended. I'm not looking forward to it.
I'm not sure about the rest of the day. I need to see how uncomfortable DH is feeling.
I love that quilt GM, it is a beautiful piece of work, very well done ??.
Enjoy your Thursday, find a ? and a random ?or two xx

GrannyGravy13 Thu 08-Apr-21 07:07:30

Morning Muck and all

The sky is blue, the sun is shining however, it’s mighty chilly ?

Beautiful quilt grandMattie I shall keep my fingers crossed for DH Sar53 and hope your dental appointment goes ok ?

We had a nice surprise from GP surgery yesterday, I am having 2nd Pfizer jab tonight and DH is getting his 2nd Astra Zeneca jab Saturday both weeks inside the 12 week window!

I am beside myself with excitement this morning as we are off to visit my darling sister and family. We are popping in to DH’s brother’s wife on the way, he is extremely poorly in hospital and is unable to have visitors, so sad.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

Ashcombe Thu 08-Apr-21 07:10:37

That is a truly magnificent quilt, grandMattie. Wow! ??
Good luck with the dentist, Sar53. For gum treatment, I find a couple of paracetamol beforehand helps and I’m sure you’ll be offered novocaine. I hope your DH feels better today. ?

Ellianne Thu 08-Apr-21 07:12:27

Good morning from a slightly warmer Devon.
That's a lovely quilt grandMattie, you are clever.
A visit to a farm shop today to buy 30 eggs and some veg. The highlight being a chat with the resident llamas.

Pittcity Thu 08-Apr-21 07:16:56

Good morning from sunny Colchester. Doesn't seem as cold as yesterday.
Will wrap up and meet DGS1 and 3 in the park with the other grandparents. They live close to us and have a bigger house for sleepovers.
DS is home later for Easter leave (after Easter??!!), so we will need to shop.
Much love x

Beauregard Thu 08-Apr-21 07:17:47

Good morning from Derbyshire where it's cloudy and not as cold today.

Fabulous quilt grandMattie.

An early shop this morning, then an actual face to face doctors appointment later! (as the previous telephone consultation with me sending photos led to an incorrect diagnosis).

Racing this afternoon. "My" DHorse is running today ("My" being in inverted commas as I own about 1/7500th of him, the tip of an ear, as I like to say, and the equivalent cost of about 50p a week). Just clarifying that following a recent thread.....?.
Marydoll Will Mr MD be watching this afternoon? Unfortunately no tips of any use JaxJacky

Hope today is a good day for all. Thinking of missing posters and those with worry, illness and sadness flowers

Sheepandcattle Thu 08-Apr-21 07:20:41

Good morning Mick and all from a dry, less-chilly-than-yesterday Wiltshire. GrandMattie- that is a beautiful quilt! How long has it taken you to make it? You must have the patience of a saint! I loved the cross stitch flowers yesterday too - I wish I had a thimble-full of some of the talents you grans have.
We have a new bull! The new chap is a 2 year old Beef Shorthorn called Nobel but now affectionately known as Nobby. We turned him straight out with our very impatient, slightly randy(!) ladies and, bless him, he was like a teenage virgin who’d inadvertently stumbled across a hen night! Hopefully, he’ll be a busy chap over the next couple of months. Meanwhile Bogdon continues to (hopefully) recover in the barn with a couple of sympathetic cows keeping him company. Popeye is doing really well. She gets less wobbly on her legs each day and now headbutts me for her bottle of milk. The vet rang yesterday and suggested that I leave her stitches in for a few more days. Today the older of the orphan lambs will be weaned off their milk ..... and they won’t be at all happy about it, nor will they be quiet about their displeasure! The risk of them developing bloat or ‘red gut’ increases over the age of 6 weeks and they are all eating ‘creep’ now so the milk has got to go. I’ll be making a pen for them in the field behind the house so they can begin to graze now. I normally try to coincide weaning orphan lambs with a couple of nights trip away for me so that my DH has the pleasure of listening to their protests but alas, with Covid restrictions, there is no escape for me this year!! Wishing you all a happy Thursday.

brook2704 Thu 08-Apr-21 07:20:58

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s quite bright with some sunshine peeping through the clouds, still cold though brrrrrr
Beautiful quilt GM we really do have lots of talent on here - it puts me to shame really as the best I could do was to knit a few baby blankets and hats when the DGC were babies!
Hope the dentist appointment is ok Sar
Yesterday we did a bit more walking along the South Loch Ness trail, it’s a long distance footpath between Inverness and Fort Augustus. There was fresh snow on the hills and the views were gorgeous and not too cold as we were well wrapped up. Today I’ll be pottering at home with quite a few jobs to catch up on.
Enjoy your day grannygravy and great news about the jabs tonight
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

Scentia Thu 08-Apr-21 07:33:18

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where it is cool, but not as cool as it has been!!
Grandmattie I am in awe of your quilt❤️
The masters starts today do I will be taking in a bit of that over the next 4 days. I too had a face to face with a doctor yesterday as the chiropractor has made my shoulder worse. I am being sent for a scan and physio! (I didn’t realise that chiropractors were alternative therapists!!)
Off to work as we have a good few orders in and that is a shock after such a quiet 2 weeks, I was getting used to doing ‘nowt’?
This last week I have been watching my good intake and weighed myself today to have lost 5lb hope that continues ready for the summer, I can get all my dresses out!!
My next sewing project will be some cushions, then I may have a go at some upholstery on an old chair, I will watch Jay ‘whatshisname’ on you tube to get some tips!!
I am off to peg out then I may walk to the factory, I walked home over the fields last night and welled up a little as it was the first time I had gone that way since losing Sasha (Sasha was my doggie) I will do it again this morning as I need to get over it❤️
Now take care everyone and stay safe, get yourselves out in that fresh air❤️?❤️

Jaxjacky Thu 08-Apr-21 07:34:14

Good morning Mick and all from an overcast S Hants, not freezing today. Just wow! grandMattie a true work of art. I hope the dentist is not too bad sar, maybe today is just a look see, ? Mrsar feels better today.
Beauregard I’ve forgotten your horses name? I’ve put my 50p e/w on Yala Enki in the GN, I sort of follow V Williams who used to train the horse. No plans today, washing again and a food delivery. Have a good day all. ??

dragonfly46 Thu 08-Apr-21 07:35:33

Good morning, grey and blustery here in Leicestershire.

Love quilt GrandMattie. I have an unfinished quilt. It is king size and hand sewn appliqué. I have put it all together and it just needs quilting but I find it difficult to thread a needle these days. Such a pity.

Busy day, I need to get to Boots as I have run out of pills, see my friend for a walk, chase up the solicitor, move some money around and do the Sainsbury order.

Have a good day.

kittylester Thu 08-Apr-21 07:36:24

Morning all from a grey ish North Leicestershire.

I have to track down some mini eggs today as I couldn't add them to my Sainsbury's order. confused I am hoping to make a Rocky Road Easter Wreath for when DD2 and co come on Sunday. Sainsbury's delivery this pm - without mini eggs!

DH is aiming to jet wash the patios this morning so I intend to go on my egg hunt while he plays around with his hose.

Have the best days possible everyone.

kittylester Thu 08-Apr-21 07:38:00

Morning dragonfly - hadn't spotted it was blustery!

Gelisajams Thu 08-Apr-21 07:38:58

Good morning from a damp Morecambe Bay. A craft day planned for today. I must nibble away at a couple of unfinished items as well as make in roads into my new cross stitch. Your beautiful quilts put me to shame Grandmattie
Yesterday’s gardening went well and we managed over 5 hours. I was a bit apprehensive that I’d have the energy to do all day so early in the season but I actually enjoyed it. Not so sure DH does. After he took early retirement he decided to help me with gardening. He mainly gardens with a pick and does all the heavy work under my instructions. Despite telling him more than a million times over the years that if he is unsure whether it’s a plant or a weed leave it alone, he will shout me over to ask. Drives me mad! Especially if I’m working at the other end of the garden.
Hopefully no misunderstandings today! Take care everyone and be on the look out for flamingos.
???

Gagagran Thu 08-Apr-21 07:40:11

Morning all from a still chilly south coast. 1.6c.

Some interesting posts to read this morning and certainly more interesting than the news which seems to be on repeat from day to day. Hope the new bull, Nobby, does the necessary sheepand cattle but what will you do with the poor lad confined to the barn?

We are still waiting for our second jabs and it will be 12 weeks next Tuesday since our first. DH is getting anxious and pressing me to ring the surgery but there is a big notice on the website saying NOT to ring about covid jabs and they will be in touch. He is worrying that they have missed us. I have told him I will do something on Monday if we still haven't heard. It's very hard to get through to them on the phone anyway so if all else fails I'll ring 119 then.

More items on our agenda today including a visit from a CH boiler engineer about fitting a new one for us this summer. We inherited the present one and it is at least 35 years old. We have seen all the news items about hydrogen boilers and heat source pumps but it seems a bit pie in the sky to us and certainly to change the whole country over so we are going to press ahead with a new gas one.

Hope the day is a good one for us all. sunshine

Kalu Thu 08-Apr-21 07:44:06

Good morning from a heavy looking sky with a forecast of heavy rain ahead in Glasgow.

Ashcombe, I wasn’t judging you yesterday, simply envious of you being allowed to meet friends indoors when we are not allowed garden visits yet.

Another day indoors but pleased I had bed linen drying in the sun yesterday. The smell of fresh laundry hanging on the pulley plus the glorious perfume of hyacinths in the kitchen is such a joy. Simple things.

After a nod at housework I intend to start on another pumpkin pouffe. Both GDs have requested one each for their bedrooms and the wool has arrived for 1 blue and 1 yellow.

Hoping you had a pain free sleep Marydoll ?

Have a good day and hopefully a better day for those with worries and struggles.

glammagran Thu 08-Apr-21 07:45:03

After not seeing most of my family since last summer all buses arrived at once. I saw DD1, SIL and 15 year old GD1 in our garden for lunch on Good Friday. Weather was fabulous. I even got slightly sunburnt.

Then on Easter Sunday we had DS, DiL, GS(10) and GD2(7) for sandwiches and home made hot cross buns and tea in the garden around lunchtime. Again fabulous weather.

Late afternoon we had DD2, partner and GD2(2) for dinner. So I saw all 3 of my children and GC in one weekend. It was lovely to see everyone, it seemed surreal.

On another thread I mentioned that my son and his family had retuned to the U.K. on 30th December after 6 years abroad in Hong Kong and then The Netherlands. They had to rent a very expensive Airbnb but they have now moved back into their house about an hour from where we live, at the end of March.

We are looking after DG2 today as DD2 is feeling very tired with 11 days to go until new baby is due. Blood test first thing this morning.

Wishing everyone a good day.

Grammaretto Thu 08-Apr-21 07:51:32

Good Morning from the Scottish Borders. It's warmer today but no sun so doesn't look very nice. The birds are very busy.

The painting job which began on Monday, stalled yesterday when I saw the colour I had chosen on the actual wall. I have come round to it now but the painter has left to do another job so it won't be finished until next week.

Gorgeous quilt grandMattie. Have you been making them long?
Dragonfly how about a quick word with GM who has nothing to do now she's finished! grin

Thanks for the photo from the farm Sheep. What delightful stories. You must compile them for a book, when you have time. Sorry you don't get your days away.

My df came to sort the problem water/spring/pond out yesterday. He seemed to enjoy it and said he felt like a child on the beach.

Good that people are getting their vaccines and most not having ill effects.
Have a nice day one and all.

grandmajet Thu 08-Apr-21 07:54:47

Good morning from a rather grey and chilly looking Nottinghamshire.
That is a beautiful quilt GrandMattie. I am quite useless at anything craft related, and I’m afraid I can’t even knit, so am in awe of those with the skill and patience to produce such things.
The new bull sounds keen, sheep, as do his ‘wives’. I feel a bit sorry for poor Bogdon, stuck indoors feeling ill! I’m glad you’ve provided some company for him.
The sun came out yesterday lunchtime for our daughter’s birthday visit to our garden and we had a lovely lunch there, also with her two children. Then Grandpajet took the children to the park nearby while DD and I had a peaceful chat.
I feel lucky that all our grandchildren live within a 20 minute drive, which is why we moved here on retirement - a move we have never regretted.
What a wonderful place to walk, brook. Our youngest did the Loch Ness marathon a couple of years ago and stayed in a lodge near there. She took some stunning photos.
Have a pleasant day everyone, enjoy what you can.