Gransnet forums

Chat

Keeping the peace

(9 Posts)
BigBertha1 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:04:12

Do you find that as you get older you or more likely or less likely to keep the peace within the family. DH gets grumpier and grumpier re signage, the behaviour of children, speeding, David Cameron, Rupert Murdoch and various other bees in his bonnet. DD2 gets more and more political and likes to lecture us on diversity (we both spent our whole working lives working and caring for people of kinds). I find myself nodding and mmming more and more. Do you find that?

Sara1954 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:19:32

No, I don’t think so. My husband moans a lot more than he used to, we had years of Brexit, now we seem to be stuck on Harry and Megan, I just tell him I’m not interested and don’t want to discuss it.

timetogo2016 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:23:44

My dh can`t stand the Royals,so they are never discussed,and i can`t stand rugby/football anddarts,so we don`t talk about them sports.
Win win.

EllanVannin Thu 08-Apr-21 10:26:35

I don't know about husbands being more grumpier, it's myself who has clearly become less tolerant as I've got older---more about the stupidity of some people rather than what goes on in the world.
It's the complete change of life as I once knew it so tend to dwell on the past more than the present, when things were so different and " more human ".

Sara1954 Thu 08-Apr-21 10:33:00

EllanVannin
I know what you mean, everything changes, but very little for the better as far as I can see, but I accept that times change, and it’s probably me who’s out of step.

nadateturbe Thu 08-Apr-21 11:34:24

I find I don't have the energy any longer for debates so I tend to agree more with my daughter who is always right has strong opinions on everything.
My husband too, has got very grumpy about politics especially BJ, dogs, cats, children in gardens, tv presenters/interviewers etc and I too tend to respond with a nod and not encourage him to expand.

Life's too short.

Baggs Thu 08-Apr-21 11:43:24

everything changes, but very little for the better

Actually things are changing for the better for millions of people worldwide. Check out ourworldindata.org to see multiple examples.

M0nica Thu 08-Apr-21 12:32:00

As my experience of life grows so has my toleration for other people's views and attitudes and for the endless change that surrounds us.

If I am tempted to be censorious I remind myself that I was a 60s chick and our generation really did tear up the rule book and throw it to the winds and I remember the shock and horror of our parent's generation to everything we did.

So, I just watch younger generations doing exactly what we did and I leave them to get on with it.

Maggiemaybe Thu 08-Apr-21 13:09:38

I know where you're coming from as far as the bees in DH's bonnet are concerned, BigBertha. Never a day goes by without something sparking mine off on a tirade against litter, VAR or the evils of social media. I just zone out and don't engage. I often agree with him as it happens, but I'm more of a glass half full person.

Mind you, I admit that I can be every bit as bad if I'm that way out. smile