Gransnet forums

Chat

Life is getting a bit trying! Should I relocated!

(43 Posts)
Libby65 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:24:48

72 and very fit gran on my own now
woke up to
freezing cold and snowing in remote part of Scotland.
Nicola threatening independence from GB
Pandemic loneliness
I want to relocate near my son in Hampshire
Am I leaving it too late?

Kim19 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:27:57

Not at all. If it appeals and is possible, you go for it. Good luck ?

Newatthis Sat 10-Apr-21 11:28:06

Never too late - do it if you feel fit and well enough to do so. House moving can be stressful - I've just done it and do not have any regrets. It may be a bit of a culture shock moving from somewhere remote but I wouldn't hesitate. Think of those lovely weekends you can be with your son (and GC's?) What does your son think?

silverlining48 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:28:40

Definitely not leaving too late. What does your son think?

silverlining48 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:29:24

What does your son thi nk....snap!

JaneJudge Sat 10-Apr-21 11:30:39

It is never too late, 72 is nothing. My friend is 71 and she is going to move to the coast, she lost her husband last year and I think it will be good for her, even though I will miss her. I never thought goodness, she's too old! I think of her as being spritely in all honesty.

What is keeping you where you are?

You need to write a list of pros and cons smile

timetogo2016 Sat 10-Apr-21 11:31:41

Go for it Libby65.
You only live once,but run it by your son just incase he is thinking of moving too.

Gannygangan Sat 10-Apr-21 11:32:15

Go for it!

Lollin Sat 10-Apr-21 11:48:43

Go if you want but what’s the plan if he ends up moving?

midgey Sat 10-Apr-21 11:50:09

Do it, but go somewhere where you will be happy and don’t rely on family! They may have to move or have other plans.

BlueSky Sat 10-Apr-21 11:51:49

Never too late go for it! grin

Kamiso Sat 10-Apr-21 11:52:14

If you’ve talk through the various possibilities with your son, and still want the move, go for it! You can always pay a bit more and get the removal company to do the packing for you.

poshpaws Sat 10-Apr-21 11:55:35

Just be sure that (A) your son would actually want you living near him - I'm not suggesting he doesn't adore you, but his life circumstances may be such that it'd be awkward for him to spend a lot of time with you and that could cause hurt to you and stress to him and (B) that you really want to leave a country which may soon be free of a corrupt Tory rule which is fast turning into a fascist dictatorship ....

Dottydots Sat 10-Apr-21 11:56:37

Yes, do it, don't leave it any longer. I wish I had followed my heart and moved away years ago, but I'm 79 and not well enough now for the upheaval.

Jaxjacky Sat 10-Apr-21 11:59:34

Welcome to Hampshire!
Do it.

DillytheGardener Sat 10-Apr-21 12:01:57

I would think carefully about moving. Is your son likely to move due to his career? Would he have much time to spend to be with you without his feeling obligated, what amenities, clubs and opportunities to make new friends would there be? If your son is too busy to spend much time with you ie once a week, or twice a month would that still make it worth it for you? Do you have long-standing friends where you live now?

allsortsofbags Sat 10-Apr-21 12:02:53

If your son is in agreement with your move, is willing to support you along the way and you can find somewhere you think will suit go for it.

It's a cold wet and dreary day here in Yorkshire and if it's the same where you are Libby65 to cheer yourself up you could get on the web and start looking at where you might move to and what might be there for you.

Good Luck, let us know how things work out :-)

Lewie Sat 10-Apr-21 12:06:08

Just do it - never too late! The weather has got to be better in any case! smile

nadateturbe Sat 10-Apr-21 12:42:34

The weather will be better which is a definite plus. But check with your son, maybe don't move too close and make sure you will be able to be independently happy in the area.

nadateturbe Sat 10-Apr-21 12:43:17

And no, its not too late. Good luck!?

Dottynan Sat 10-Apr-21 12:49:42

We are a friendly lot in Hampshire

gt66 Sat 10-Apr-21 12:57:55

Could you do a trial run for a month maybe; enough time to get a feel for the area?

JaneJudge Sat 10-Apr-21 13:06:30

gt66

Could you do a trial run for a month maybe; enough time to get a feel for the area?

This is a good idea, there must be lots of holiday lets in Hampshire

Libby65 Sat 10-Apr-21 13:43:08

My son is delighted that I should move nearer him. I would value my independence.

LauraNorder Sat 10-Apr-21 13:47:04

If it feels right, do it. Never too old for adventure.
Be somewhere where you can join things, make new friends and establish a good and fun life.
Good luck, enjoy yourself.