Gransnet forums

Chat

Vivid dreams due to lockdown

(12 Posts)
polomint Sun 11-Apr-21 09:10:00

I have read that many people are having vivid, strange and frightening dreams that seem to be put down to us being in lockdown. I for one have certainly been having them. They are so real and strange and make no sense at all. I think it's because we are isolated from people that our subconscious is in overdrive trying to make sense of the situation we are in. Are any of the posters having the same?

GrannyGravy13 Sun 11-Apr-21 09:50:52

I have been having extremely vivid cognitive dreams since the beginning of first lockdown. Some have been comforting, others anything but.

NannyJan53 Sun 11-Apr-21 09:57:40

I have been experiencing really weird dreams since the start of Lockdown last year. People appear in them who I have not seen or even thought of in years, in situations they, or I would never have been in!

DillytheGardener Sun 11-Apr-21 10:01:24

Yes. I’ve had dreams about my dead relatives, an awful old boss and friends I haven’t seen in years. None have been very nice and left me waking up in the wee hours upset and confused.

I’ve had to change my sleeping routine to try and eliminate them, like watching something funny before bed like Only Fools or Gavin & Stacey, and taking a sleeping tablet so I’m more dopey than anxious before bed.

Galaxy Sun 11-Apr-21 10:04:21

Apparently it's very common but quite rare to dream of the pandemic itself.

polomint Sun 11-Apr-21 11:43:35

It's seems to be long ago workmates, dead family members and umpteen songs that just rattle through my dreams. No dreams of the virus but sometimes in crowds of people feeling claustrophobic

Blossoming Sun 11-Apr-21 11:48:43

I’ve always had surreal vivid dreams that seem to be related to a childhood illness. They’re not about the illness but that’s when they started. They’re not generally unpleasant, I had one on Friday night about a nasty bully I worked with years ago and I gave him a huge telling off. I rather enjoyed that one!

nadateturbe Sun 11-Apr-21 21:12:32

I keep dreaming about being in unsafe situations and wake up thinking Thank God it was only a dream.
Last night I was walking through a crowded outside market and suddenly realised we were all neithwr distanced or wearing masks. I got into a panic. I keep waking up sweating. I never normally sweat.

I also have dreamt about people and situations from the past. I think its because we have too much time on our hands and are reflecting on things.

nadateturbe Sun 11-Apr-21 21:16:05

Blossoming that was a good dream to have. I have dreamt recently about telling teachers off for really damaging incidents that happened at school. I feel a bit better now.

annsixty Sun 11-Apr-21 22:18:01

I also have had very vivid dreams, most of which I remember.
Many are about my late husband and I haven’t been upset by them ,rather reassured.
As well, most refer to my old life, working, being pregnant and the same crop up very regularly.
I have never had such vivid or remembered dreams before.

Sago Sun 11-Apr-21 22:24:04

If I told anyone some of my dreams I would be forced into a cardigan that fastens at the back and carted away.

Since March last year it’s been crazy, I’m sure even LSD couldn’t bring on more bizarre, realistic and psychedelic dreams.

annodomini Sun 11-Apr-21 22:35:15

Most of my dreams relate either to my teaching career or being a student. Exams are a recurring theme, though I was never specially scared of them. Last week I dreamt I couldn't remember the vocabulary I needed for a Latin exam! Sometimes I am getting lost in a new school, unable to find the class I should be teaching. Luckily that never happened.