Gransnet forums

Chat

Strange or weird occurences

(101 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 12-Apr-21 22:43:51

Have you ever had a strange or weird thing happen to you, that you still can't understand? Not necessarily spooky, just... unexplainable.

When I was in my teens, I had a secret boyfriend. He was much older than me and would NOT have been approved of.

I used to browse the window of a particular jewellers at this time. Expensive and retro jewellery. There was a ring in the window I always admired but which was way out of my price range. I didn't ever tell anyone about this ring, it was just window shopping.

One day, my secret boyfriend surprised me with a gift. It was 'the ring' (not as an engagement ring, just a gift). Obviously, I loved it, BUT couldn't wear it openly because he was a secret, so I would wear it to bed, but hide it during the day.

One night, while I was asleep, wearing the ring, it disappeared. I searched my bed, my room, the house, but never found it. My bf asked about it and I explained.

I still don't understand a few things about the ring. How did he know THAT ring? I hadn't told him. Had never been to or past that jewellers with him. And where did it go? It vanished overnight without trace.

I am still a bit weirded out by it now. I know the memory can play tricks, but I remember being confused at the time by it all. Unsolved mystery.

Ro60 Tue 13-Apr-21 00:09:12

One spring morning my DH, baby DD, & I set off for a day out travelling about 15 miles. We visited a NT property then pulled in to a quaint country pub - (one of many in the area) for lunch.
It was quiet - one or two people here & there - and at one table my father & brother!
They'd travelled from a different county to us and - like us had never been to that area before.

crazyH Tue 13-Apr-21 00:17:46

I was watching This Morning the other day and on the right hand side of the screen, I saw a woman loading washing into a microwave. Seriously.....I don’t think I was day dreaming. I think I was quite conscious , but,who knows ????? And the discussion was neither about washing or microwaves.....

Grandma2213 Tue 13-Apr-21 02:46:04

When my children were younger one of them was away on a trip with a friend. I was mowing the lawn and suddenly had a feeling he had been hurt. I went into the house and told my older child he had been hurt but was OK. A few minutes later the phone rang with the news that he had been cycling and had fallen into a prickly bush but was not seriously hurt, just scratched and bruised. I've had several similar experiences with my children but this is the only one where I have said it out loud to someone else before I heard the news.

Loislovesstewie Tue 13-Apr-21 05:35:01

When I was a teenager we were invited to a family wedding. I didn't know who the groom was at all. A few days before the wedding I dreamt that I arrived at the church to find a girl I knew slightly from school in one of the pews ; it's important to know that I had left school by then. She was wearing a blue dress. You've guessed it I got to the wedding and in one of the pews on the groom's side was Jenny in a blue dress, her brother was the groom. She looked exactly the same as in my dream.

BlueBelle Tue 13-Apr-21 06:44:27

When I was a kid I had a tin money box in the shape of a shop one morning, I d be about 11 ish, I woke up to find the money box perched on top of my headboard we presumed I d slept walked but I never had before and I never ever have since !

vampirequeen Tue 13-Apr-21 07:21:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DanniRae Tue 13-Apr-21 07:29:56

I had been visiting my sister-in-law and when it was time to go home I went to pick up my reading glasses from the window sill where I was sure I had left them. However, they weren't there, so my sister-in-law and I started looking for them. We had no luck until I glanced at the window sill again and there they were! The fact that there were 2 people looking for them and 2 people who, originally, checked the window sill made it even weirder shock

Witzend Tue 13-Apr-21 07:52:32

Telepathy, Grandma2213.

My mother was occasionally telepathic over very long distances, but only (at least that I have definite knowledge of) when someone was in distress.
She would dream exact details and tell others at the time, before it was confirmed.

I was once seriously spooked when a very worried letter from her (I was living 2000 miles from home) showed that on the very same night, she’d dreamt exact details of how I’d been planning to go home without telling anyone, and find a job, on a sleepless night when I was very miserable indeed. And in normal circs. she never wrote, it was always my father.

kircubbin2000 Tue 13-Apr-21 08:03:13

My uncle was a twin. One night he woke with terrible pain and a feeling of dread. That night his brother had been shot down over France and badly injured.

Sara1954 Tue 13-Apr-21 09:16:22

Many years ago I was driving with my then boyfriend along a fairly major road, it was dark and raining.
Suddenly he swerved off the road into a lay-by, he said he just felt he had to pull over, he was shaking, and said he felt ill.
He got out, and walked up and down in the rain for about ten minutes, and then we resumed our journey, though he was driving extremely cautiously.
We were overtaken by several ambulances and a fire engine, and after a few miles came across an horrific accident involving a car transporter, and several other vehicles, he thought that had we kept travelling, we would have been at the place the accident happened.
Coincidence? Or something else?

Kate1949 Tue 13-Apr-21 09:42:27

I posted this on a similar thread a while back. At the risk of being repetitive, I'll post it again! When I was 16, I was (so I thought) madly in love with my first boyfriend.
As a Catholic back then I used to say my prayers at night and always prayed that I would marry this boy who had a not very common name.
I didn't marry him but my husband has exact the same name, Christian name and surname. smile

Redhead56 Tue 13-Apr-21 10:13:33

When I was young I was going to my then boyfriend's house. I got on the bus for only a short journey. I then had a five minute walk It involved walking along a church path to get to his close. As I was walking a young guy was cycling very slowly along side of me. An odd feeling came over me I said to myself he is going to stop by the wall and pretend to fix his bike and he did. I picked up speed walking as my boyfriend's house was literally around the corner. Suddenly I felt a nudge in my back I turned around the guy was looming over me. I screamed obscenities at him and ran as fast as I could. There were two rapes in the same area the next week. I believe that must have been a premonition. I don't know what else it could have been.

Grandmabeach Tue 13-Apr-21 10:46:02

My grandmother sometimes had dreams which came true and I seem to have inherited it. Worse one was 45 years ago on the last night of a holiday when I had a dream that my DD had died. He had not been ill when we left. We were in Russia so difficult to make a call back home in those day. As soon as we landed I called my mother to let her know and of course asked how DD was. We lived over 100 miles from my parents so after knowing DD was ok my DH and I drove home but were then called at 5am next morning to say DD had died from a heart-attack.

Pollyj Tue 13-Apr-21 10:47:12

My life has been punctuated with ‘weird’ events I cannot explain!

One simple one was when I’d injured my back. I’d been off work for two months with it and was just recovering when I went downstairs in my socks one morning (wooden stairs. I know I shouldn’t have). Anyway, I was three stairs from the bottom when I slipped. A real banana slip - I shot up into the air and prepared to come crashing down on the floor at the bottom. I remember thinking, in that stretched time when something happens that this would ruin my back again and I implored ‘whoever was out there’ to help me. The next thing was, I found myself sitting on the floor and there had been no impact whatsoever. Nothing. Not a bump, nothing. I was so shocked that I just sat there for a bit, then I sai pd ‘well, whoever that was, thank you!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Tue 13-Apr-21 10:51:16

When I was small, my sisters and I were in town with Mum. We were all in a line in M&S, following Mum. I had a sudden picture in my head of my youngest sister crying. No reason to, as she was with us, but I turned to look at her anyway. Except that she was not there. We searched M&S and came across her after a short time, and yes, she was crying. Some sort of telepathy at a time of, for her, stress and fear.

Pollyj Tue 13-Apr-21 10:53:28

A more awkward one was when my husband surprised me with a (long longed for) little MG sports car. He was so pleased! ‘Ta-daaa!

I took one look at this car and a voice in my head said ‘I’m going to crash in this.’

I felt terrible, so convinced was I. I was scared to drive it, but felt I couldn’t say anything.

sure enough, a year later, I hit a patch of black ice on a roundabout, spun out of control and crashed. I was ok, but the car was written off. I was almost glad. Finally it had happened.

Dee1012 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:01:22

A friends mother was just about to go out when the phone rang, it was her sister.
They had a brief chat when the call was disconnected, she tried to call back but couldn't get through so carried on getting ready and left for her appointment.
Later that day she had another call telling her that her sister had died.....from what became known later, it was apparent that death had occurred around 10.00 a.m in a location that meant she couldn't have called (pre mobile phone days) and yet my friends mother insisted that was the time she called.

Wren5 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:01:58

I must admit I've never experienced anything at all but it's been fascinating reading your messages, thank you as for sharing x

Wren5 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:04:19

Thank you all that should have read for sharing x

PJN1952 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:05:29

In the early 1970s I had a holiday job with the Exam board in Manchester, checking marked exam papers. At lunch I used to take a walk round the University buildings and eat lunch. One day I saw a person ahead of me as we walked in line round a building in a pedestrian precinct. I blinked and the person disappeared.... no doors or anywhere to go. I checked for ages to see where the person could have gone... I still believe it was an alien abduction. I have never forgotten the experience.

Fashionista1 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:07:15

My Hubby and baby son moved into an old house we were renovating. We pulled down walls etc. and each time there was a spooky incident. Hubby laughed as he thought me silly. One night we were asleep in bed, son in his cot in another bedroom and we were woken by footsteps on the stairs and landing. We both woke abruptly at the same time and hubby jumped out of bed and ran onto the landing and into to son's bedroom. Nobody was there and the doors were all locked. Shortly after this, I was at the sink and a woman called out my name from the hall. It sounded like my mum so I called out that I was in the kitchen. No reply - so I went out to the hall to see where she was - nobody there doors still locked. Spooky and we moved shortly afterwards.

icanhandthemback Tue 13-Apr-21 11:07:27

Message deleted by Gransnet as it repeats a previously deleted post. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Fashionista1 Tue 13-Apr-21 11:09:30

Just to add to my previous post, I researched and discovered that the previous owner had died in that house.

Gagagran Tue 13-Apr-21 11:17:25

My DH's younger brother went to Australia as a £10 Pom in 1965 and got married and had a son out there. In 1975 he came home for a first visit in 10 years, and brought his wife and son.

Before he emigrated he had had a girl friend who was very upset when he left. She called at the family home because he had not told her he was going and was distraught to find out.

During their visit home, we arranged a night out with some old friends, who knew my BiL as they all grew up together in the same village. We went to one pub in their old village and had one drink but it was heaving so the old friend suggested we move on to another pub in a different village.

That was busy too but not as bad and we all had to stand in the bar area. Suddenly, a girl across the room pushed through the crowd to my BiL and pulled him to one side and they had a private and fairly intense conversation. She put her hand in her pocket and gave him. something then left the pub.

It turned out that it was his long ago girl friend and she gave him back a ring he had given her, which she must have carried around in her pocket for all those years. It could not have been a pre-arranged meeting because we never intended to go to that pub - it was a spur of the moment decision suggested by our old friend, due to the overcrowding of the original venue.

What a coincidence that she was there in that pub, on that night with the ring.