Gransnet forums

Chat

fractured ankle

(11 Posts)
Dogsmakemesmile Wed 14-Apr-21 11:41:55

Hello. Would appreciate any tips/ practical advice on coping with fractured ankle. Never broken anything before! I do appreciate how lucky I am to have such a minor injury .

Rosalyn69 Wed 14-Apr-21 11:43:16

Do the exercises.

JaneJudge Wed 14-Apr-21 11:46:10

I wouldn't say having a fractured ankle is minor. I have only sprained one and I found it really debilitating (and painful!) I only know the advice for sprains and that is RICE rest, ice, compression, elevation. Have you had it cast? you know about the bags so you can have a bath/swim etc?

Charleygirl5 Wed 14-Apr-21 12:44:43

I fractured my ankle in 2009 and had it pinned and plated. It is the worst pain I have ever experienced. I would not class it as a minor fracture. I ended up having to have a stairlift fitted because there was no way I could get up and downstairs non-weight bearing with a plaster on.

Lolo81 Wed 14-Apr-21 15:27:25

Do you have a cast on? I broke my leg just above the ankle and was non weight bearing for 6 weeks - it was horrendous!
I’m lucky enough that my home is all on one level, my family bought me a wee fold up scooter thing. That meant I could get about the house by resting my knee on the scooter and hobbling - it was a Godsend.

Other than that as someone else said - do your physio, it makes a huge difference.

Mamie Wed 14-Apr-21 16:00:23

Yes do the exercises and have every gadget you can get hold of. The bags to cover plaster casts are great (my cast was toes to thigh). I had a stool for sitting on in the shower, ice pack things to cool the cast down, crutches, a zimmer frame and a wheelie scooter. I used lots of pillows to make a cradle for the cast at night. Our old house was a nightmare of steps, stairs and levels and I spent weeks going up and down stairs on my bottom. Good luck!

Mamie Wed 14-Apr-21 16:02:34

I found this diary incredibly helpful.
www.saga.co.uk/magazine/health-wellbeing/conditions/bones-joints/diary-of-a-broken-ankle

wildswan16 Wed 14-Apr-21 16:17:23

Don't forget your diet as well. A good balanced diet is essential for healing - make sure you are getting the recommended amount of protein, calcium etc.

Also - no smoking (if you do).

Then, just be patient - and as others have already said, do any physio/exercises that your doctor recommends.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 14-Apr-21 16:40:16

I broke mine coming up for three years ago.

Keep leg elevated when sitting/lying, do any exercises you are given. As soon as cast comes off find a local Physiotherapist, I had sessions in the physio-pool and on an anti-gravity treadmill.

Recovery was slow and frustrating some days , just one day at a time.

Fennel Wed 14-Apr-21 20:31:09

Coincidence! I was just about to ask the same question.
I fractured my left ankle nearly 7 weeks ago and had the plaster cast cut off today.Replaced by a moonboot.
Like others I found, and still find it surprisingly full of problems, though I've been lucky in that it hasn't been very painful - yet.
the main things being not being able to put weight on left foot and strain on arms and shoulders as I'm using a lightweight commode/wheelchair to get around the house.
Also very irritable with husband who is too bossy.
One tip is to buy ready meals or other kinds of takeaways.

Dogsmakemesmile Thu 15-Apr-21 11:55:31

Thank you so much. Only a few days since it happened. I am shuffling up and down stairs on my bottom but usually remaining on one level. Have cast on which will be removed next week and new one put on after x ray. Pain was horrendous and was light headed and fainting initially but ok now. \Very grateful for responses. I don't feel so alone.