Gransnet forums

Chat

Song lyrics

(93 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 15-Apr-21 07:41:53

Have you ever been surprised/shocked by song lyrics when you actually find out what they're saying?

I've just seen and English translation of the Macarana. This song that we've all danced to at weddings, parties and even children's events.

Basically the story is about a girl who's boyfriend has gone into the army. Not only does she tell us that her boyfriend is rubbish in bed but that she intends to have sex with two of his friends and anyone else who catches her eye. The chorus that we all do the dancey bit to tells her to move and enjoy her body.

I'll never listen to this song in the same way again grin

nanna8 Thu 15-Apr-21 08:23:46

That song that goes zina zina zina zina. Apparently zina means sex out of wedlock. Shan't be singing that out loud again!

bunny17 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:36:36

Why do we never have an answer...justi Heywood, it's about Viet Nam

Oofy Thu 15-Apr-21 10:42:53

Hallelujah by Katherine Jenkins. I thought it was a hymn

Esspee Thu 15-Apr-21 10:44:45

When I lived in the Caribbean I was told that all calypsos have a double meaning. Nonsense I said and quoted the current “.....all salt fish sweet” calypso which was all about a local food.
Except that it wasn’t. It was about oral sex!

HannahLoisLuke Thu 15-Apr-21 10:56:10

Not shocked but often surprised when I actually listen properly to the lyrics.
Can’t think of any in particular but all rap/ hip hop are usually mysogenistic and violent and should be banned in my old fashioned opinion.

Annaram1 Thu 15-Apr-21 10:57:11

The green green grass of home. It seems a happy song about his girlfriend Mary running to greet him as he steps down from the train. But if you listen to it carefully near the end you get that he is in prison, and has been dreaming. He has got the death sentence, and will be executed and laid under the green green grass.... Its very sad actually.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 15-Apr-21 10:58:20

Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah - I also thought it was a hymn or Christmas song, as it seemed to be played a lot at Christmas.

greenlady102 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:05:57

why is Jonah Lewie's song "Stop the Cavalry" played as a christmas song?

sheila63 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:18:09

"Alone Again, Naturally" by Gilbert O'Sullivan. I'd happily sing along to the catchy chorus, vaguely realising it was about someone lonely. I didn't realise that it begins with an intention to commit suicide after being jilted at the altar!
And lesser known, but a very firm favourite of mine was "Promised Land", a Chuck Berry song that was a hit for Johnny Allen. It's all about a lad going west to the "promised land" and ends with him making a reverse-charge phone call saying "Tell the folks back home this is the promised land calling, and the poor boy is on the line!" It always choked me up to think he'd finally made it after such an arduous journey. It was only when we got the internet and I was able to check the lyrics that I found out that the "poor boy" had flown there - not crawled there on his hands and knees! - and, what's more, he'd tucked into a steak on the plane. What?! I still love the song though.

cossybabe Thu 15-Apr-21 11:19:23

Scarborough Fair - In the middle ages, parsley, sage rosemary and thyme were used for abortion. If you mix the herbs together in a concoction and drink it, the baby will die.

Whatdayisit Thu 15-Apr-21 11:20:23

Stop the cavalry is about the First World War and he says wish i coukd be home for Christmas hence why it's played at Christmas.

Have to say i have never ever and will never dance to The Macarina.
In fact that is my main dread of going in a care home if for entertainment we have sing alongs to 'wedding type' disco music no Abba no Take That please.
My poor Grandma who was 90 when she died loved The Beatles and Billy Fury , Rod Stewart Adam and the Ants but they kept playing Vera Lynn and hymn music. I do love Vera Lynn but on occasions nit hourly!

I hate the song In The Summertime for it's meaning.

Jan51 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:22:18

Because there is one line that says 'wish I was at home for christmas' ?

Pammie1 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:30:33

Mr Tambourine Man by Bob Dylan - about drugs and dealers, and Golden Brown by The Stranglers -about Heroin.

Chestnut Thu 15-Apr-21 11:35:24

greenlady102

Because it has the word 'Christmas' in the lyrics! Ridiculous really. ?

HurdyGurdy Thu 15-Apr-21 11:36:40

greenlady102

I took it to be a reference to the time in WWI when British and German troops stopped the war for a short time on Christmas Day and played football

InselAffe Thu 15-Apr-21 11:37:56

Every Breath You Take by the Police...about a man's obsession with a woman.

InselAffe Thu 15-Apr-21 11:39:17

Meet me on the corner, by Lindisfarne...about drug dealing.

Pammie1 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:40:47

@cossybabe. The song Scarborough fair uses a traditional English melody dating from around 1670 and the words changed over the years but the original herbs were savoury, sage, rosemary and thyme. It was about an elfin knight who set impossible tasks for a prospective mate, mentioned over several verses in the song. Only when she had completed the tasks would he take her as his lover.

Chestnut Thu 15-Apr-21 11:43:56

I love Itchycoo Park by the Small Faces. 'It's all too beautiful' just sounds so good! But he tells the girl to skip off school so she can get high with him in the park.

schnackie Thu 15-Apr-21 11:48:58

I was so very naïve as a young woman, even up to my 30's I thought Led Zepplin's 'Whole Lotta Love' was just about a boy really loving his girl friend, I even didn't cotton on when they said 'every inch of my love' until my husband explained it to me. blush

Chestnut Thu 15-Apr-21 11:54:04

Jan51

Because there is one line that says 'wish I was at home for christmas' ?

Here are the details. It was marketed for Christmas by adding a quick tubular bell!
storyofsong.com/story/stop-the-cavalry/

Lulubelle500 Thu 15-Apr-21 11:54:24

Was really, really surprised to know that Billy Joel's You're such a Temptation was written about his baby daughter and not his wife!

Chestnut Thu 15-Apr-21 11:57:54

Don't even get me started on The Who and 'Squeeze Box'.
Mama's got a squeeze box, daddy never sleeps at night.

Pammie1 Thu 15-Apr-21 12:01:13

@schnackie. The BBC banned the song because of that one line, but used the instrumental from it for the intro to top of the pops !!