Gransnet forums

Chat

dogs on no carpet floor

(17 Posts)
busybee6969 Sat 17-Apr-21 08:52:31

hi looking at a hpuse with underfloor heating in every room so no carpets down only odd rug.do dogs cope on this type of flooring ie not slipping, and is it easy to keep clean i have only ever had carpet except in my kitchen

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 09:29:32

What type is it?
We had two dogs and underfloor heating. They loved the warmth. The tiled areas were fine, no slipping.
The floors dry so quickly after mopping.

muse Sat 17-Apr-21 09:41:17

It does depend on the dog. We have ceramic tiled floor throughout and Mya is fine walking across the tiles and even likes lying on them to cool herself down. We don 't have underfloor heating. When sitting, her front paws slide but she doesn't seem to mind this. She has skidded a few times when she comes tearing in smile.

We are moving into our new home, when it is finished that has slate throughout. She loves to lie on those in the sun.

However, my SiL has a labrador. Her previous one was fine with tiles or slate. However, her new dog is very wary of tiles. She wouldn't walk across a cafe floor we were in once. She had to leave her in the car. Like that since a pup.

Mya had a food problem a few months ago with lots of poop everywhere. As Ellaine said: so easy to clean.

Alexa Sat 17-Apr-21 09:45:30

Dogs are frequently incontinent and infested with fleas. washable floor is a no-brainer.

henetha Sat 17-Apr-21 09:46:38

I used to work for a lady who had those modern floors, not wood, can't remember the name of it, She also had two unruly dogs and they used to spend most of their time crazily sliding across the floor, sending rugs flying, etc. They seeemed to find it great fun. It must be easier to keep clean though.

mumofmadboys Sat 17-Apr-21 09:47:38

Obviously a dog lover, Alexa!

Alexa Sat 17-Apr-21 09:51:47

I sure am! I would reorganise my entire house -keeping for the company of dogs.

Ellianne Sat 17-Apr-21 09:55:10

Anti slip dog socks!! grin I jest not.

timetogo2016 Sat 17-Apr-21 09:57:55

OMG Ellianne,that`s` made my day lol.

25Avalon Sat 17-Apr-21 10:01:30

My lab loved the underfloor heating in the conservatory and thought what kind considerate owners she had to provide this for her. She had a shock when the heating was turned off and the ceramic tiles were cold!

The kitchen was vinyl with no heating and she used to slip like mad on it which is not good for labs especially who can have problems with their hips.

If it is wood you may be able to put a special varnish that will stop slipping but it may already be non slip - Worth checking.Very easy to keep clean with a quick mop or sweep with one of those microfibres brushes.

Beauregard Sat 17-Apr-21 10:04:50

We have underfloor heated tiling (karndean type) and in her last few months of life our very old dog, 16, lost all strength in her back legs. As she stood on the slippy floor she would gradually do the splits as her paws slid on the tiles and she was too weak to right herself so we would have to help her back up. We solved it by putting washable rugs everywhere for her. I'm sure a younger, stronger dog would have been fine on it though.

Much better than carpets for keeping clean though.

midgey Sat 17-Apr-21 10:49:49

I have heard that some dogs have been injured slipping on tiled or wooden flooring.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 17-Apr-21 10:56:49

The anti-slip socks are not so daft.

As dogs get older they lose muscle strength and will slip and injure themselves on smooth floors because they can’t get purchase with their claws.

sodapop Sat 17-Apr-21 12:33:12

Just written about this on another thread. We have tiled floors downstairs and laminate upstairs. We had three dogs and a cat, the hard floors only became problematic when the dogs were quite old. This was outweighed by ease of cleaning especially when continence became an issue. I would never go back to carpets again.
Your dog will be fine busybee once he gets used to it.

busybee6969 Sat 17-Apr-21 17:56:31

thank you all for your replies

foxie48 Sat 17-Apr-21 19:33:45

Alexa

Dogs are frequently incontinent and infested with fleas. washable floor is a no-brainer.

No, some old dogs like old people can become incontinent, mine never have been though and regular flea treatments keep them flea free. They are also loving and non judgemental, unlike a lot of people. Have to agree about the washable floor though, mine loves his walks and often has muddy paws!
One of my old boys became quite weak in his hind legs and those grippy socks made a huge difference to how he coped on solid floors however as a younger dog, he was absolutely fine.

kathsue Wed 21-Apr-21 19:38:28

I have laminate flooring throughout the house. It's much easier to keep clean and hygienic. My dog skids occasionally if she runs around too fast.
One problem is that it is noisy. You can hear the pitter-patter, pitter-patter of her paws whenever she moves. A friend and her dog house/pet sat once. She threatened to knit the dogs some bootees!
Now my dog is experiencing dementia she prefers to lie on the cold, hard floor than her nice soft bed.confused