Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(80 Posts)
12Michael Sun 18-Apr-21 06:13:22

Good Morning Everyone,
Yet another bright and dry start here in Brackley ,but maybe a bit chilly outside .
Yesterdays trip out went to plan , but got back home to see the the important section of the funeral .
The eating outside in buckingham , saw most of its cafes doing likewise , I went to my regular one there, but aprt from the air chill a nice dayout.
Take Care,
Mick

grandMattie Sun 18-Apr-21 06:22:13

Good morning from a bright E Kent. There is still a light frost, but I hope today will be warmer, with less breeze.
Spent an emotional afternoon watching DofE’s funeral. My heart bled for the Queen, who followed all the COVID rules and was sooooo alone. The Prince would have been delighted by the event.
Nothing much today. Same old, same old.
May today bring smiles and warmth, both physical and metaphorical into your lives. ?❤️?

Ashcombe Sun 18-Apr-21 06:22:51

Good morning, Mick and company from a chilly but fine Torbay.

Yesterday's funeral for HRH Prince Philip was all the more moving for its simplicity and I loved his choice of readings and music. Our poet laureate has penned this:-

The Patriarchs - An Elegy by Simon Armitage

The weather in the window this morning
is snow, unseasonal singular flakes,
a slow winter’s final shiver. On such an occasion
to presume to eulogise one man is to pipe up
for a whole generation – that crew whose survival
was always the stuff of minor miracle,
who came ashore in orange-crate coracles,
fought ingenious wars, finagled triumphs at sea
with flaming decoy boats, and side-stepped torpedoes.
Husbands to duty, they unrolled their plans
across billiard tables and vehicle bonnets,
regrouped at breakfast. What their secrets were
was everyone’s guess and nobody’s business.
Great-grandfathers from birth, in time they became
both inner core and outer case
in a family heirloom of nesting dolls.
Like evidence of early man their boot-prints stand
in the hardened earth of rose-beds and borders.
They were sons of a zodiac out of sync
with the solar year, but turned their minds
to the day’s big science and heavy questions.
To study their hands at rest was to picture maps
showing hachured valleys and indigo streams, schemes
of old campaigns and reconnaissance missions.
Last of the great avuncular magicians
they kept their best tricks for the grand finale:
Disproving Immortality and Disappearing Entirely.
The major oaks in the wood start tuning up
and skies to come will deliver their tributes.
But for now, a cold April’s closing moments
parachute slowly home, so by mid-afternoon
snow is recast as seed heads and thistledown.

I learnt yesterday that the MD at church is still indisposed so my services as a pianist continue to be required. Therefore, I need to make an early start today. I wish you a peaceful day of rest. ?

Pantglas2 Sun 18-Apr-21 06:30:29

Good morning Mick and the Earlybirds - doesn’t that sound like a sixties group!

Lovely poem Ashcombe and I enjoyed the service- we do these things so well in Britain and even managed good weather for the occasion!

Will pop back later and see what mischiefs abound....?

harrigran Sun 18-Apr-21 06:51:49

Good morning from a dry NE.
Better night, slept from midnight to 5.40, probably because I missed a message on my phone which would have kept me awake all night.
I watched the funeral, the music was well chosen.
A quiet day for me with just mundane tasks.

NanKate Sun 18-Apr-21 07:02:56

Good morning Mick and All.

Cold bright morning in South Bucks.

Thank you Ashcombe How moving the small poem with the picture of the D of E. Also the words from the Poet Laureate.

Roast beef for us today ?

NanKate Sun 18-Apr-21 07:04:17

Hope your message is not too upsetting Harrigran.

Beechnut Sun 18-Apr-21 07:08:10

Good Morning everyone from sunny Severnside.

I watched the funeral from about 2.30pm. I then messed about on iPad for a while and went back out into the garden. I’m pleased with yesterday’s work. More today. In the evening I watched part of a programme on the Amish. I don’t know why but they fascinate me.

Have a good day all and enjoy the sunshine ?

Sar53 Sun 18-Apr-21 07:14:08

Good morning from Essex by the sea where the sun is shining but, like recent days, I'm sure it's colder than it looks.
DH is off to get his second jab then on to rugby with his grandsons. I will probably go for a walk along by the sea.
We cooked a gammon joint yesterday so will have a cold dinner today, maybe a few chips too.
The DofE's funeral was very moving but my heart went out to the Queen as she sat all alone. RIP.
Enjoy Sunday, find a ?, some ? and a random ?xx

Party4 Sun 18-Apr-21 07:20:02

Morning Mick, so look forward to your opening chat.Agree GM about DoE funeral being such a thoughtful service under difficult covid rules.Brought a tear watching Queen sat on her own in grief.
After very early starts all week due to builders being here decided we are defo having a lie in this morn DH has just fetched morning cuppa back to bed.
Go to DS later for dinner where Gcs will run us ragged in garden with over excitement.
Peaking through curtains there isnt a covering of frost on lawns this a.m so maybe not as cold a start as has been all week.
Have GDs present arriving from Amazon today and some items to collect from M n S after mid day.How surprised to see M n S new clothing range Seasalt,White Co etc wonder how prices compare to original shops,with the loss of Debenhams needed somewhere to restock my tired wardrobe.
Hope everyone has a lovely day.

kittylester Sun 18-Apr-21 07:28:38

Good morning all from North Leicestershire where it is quite cloudy.

I found Prince Phillip's funeral incredibly moving.

Not a lot on today apart from watering the very parched garden and pots. Roast pork spare rib for lunch followed by the Sunday papers.

Then Call the Midwife and LOD!!

grandmajet Sun 18-Apr-21 07:32:59

Good morning from sunny and calm Nottinghamshire.
We too watched the funeral and found it very moving. I do like to see all the ceremony; those servicemen involved must have been feeling so proud. What a great picture Ashcombe.
Oh harrigran, I hope your message wasn’t as bad as you fear.

Yesterday I flopped around way too much, just going in the garden to pick up a few leaves and weeds and water the seeded areas of the lawn. Today will involve a walk at least! I’m finding it hard to motivate myself although I know I must, but when I go out people keep asking how I am! I’ll sneak on to the fields behind us I think.

Have a peaceful, enjoyable day, everyone. I’ll look back later to read your news.

Pittcity Sun 18-Apr-21 07:33:58

Good morning from sunny Colchester. It's set to be a warmer day than of late.

We were moved by the funeral and DS spotted a few of his friends in the Navy contingent.

Family here this afternoon to help replace some fencing panels and eat a roast beef dinner in the gazebo.

Much love to all x

Susan56 Sun 18-Apr-21 07:37:31

Good morning from Shropshire.

Well it took DH most of yesterday to assemble the new awning, it wasn’t complicated just tricky but so pleased he was able to do it.After the operation on his hand a couple of years ago he is not as dexterous as he once was.Todays job is to fix the awning to the house.Both son in laws have offered to help but he has said we can manage???

I too found Prince Philips funeral very moving and like others felt for the Queen sitting alone.

Harrigran?

Thinking of all with health struggles and worries about loved ones and all our missing good morningers.

Have a good day all??

BlueSapphire Sun 18-Apr-21 07:38:42

Good morning from another sunny ?morning in East Northants.

A day of doing very little yesterday, apart from watching the funeral. It was a rather good send off, beautifully done. I loved the readings, especially the Ecclesiastes one, such beautiful language.

Managed an hour or so sitting in DD's garden in the lovely sunshine, then a yummy fish and chip supper. A bottle of fizz was opened for my birthday later this week.

And it will be another day of not doing a lot. Home this afternoon. Take it easy and have a sunshiny day.

Nannytopsy Sun 18-Apr-21 07:38:58

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Another lovely start in Suffolk, although it is still frosty.
We had a lovely day at the coast yesterday with DD etc although it was a cold wind. They are coming here for a BBQ on their way back home and that is all prepared. It will be nice to have someone to show off the garden to!
Kitty it’s going to be a good TV night!
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Apr-21 07:41:56

Morning Mick and all

Brilliant blue sky but no frost this morning.

I thought the funeral of Prince Philip was beautifully done.

Nothing planned other than Roast Chicken this evening.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

gillgran Sun 18-Apr-21 07:47:46

Good Morning to you all from a cold & frosty Cambs.,

Early for me, as we have a busy day. Ocado delivery at 9am.

Then I have my second dose of vaccine at 6pm, ( I had changed it from yesterday at 3:10, as it clashed with the main parts of the funeral, & it's an hours round trip to vaccination site).
We then plan to go on to the NW Norfolk coast to our little home-from-home for the first time since mid-December.
Hopefully all is well there & we can get set up for the summer.

I did watch the Prince Philip's funeral, found it very moving, I do like the military bits too.

I am normally out of wi-fi reach at the coast, so will miss you.

Look after yourselves, especially those with extra worries & woes.flowers

Take Care Folks.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 18-Apr-21 07:47:59

Good morning all from bright but chilly Harrogate
As expected yesterday did not manage to get dgs interested in watching funerals. He was more interested in being Jack (and the Beanstalk) in the park and climbing ? trees. When back home he was a ‘little pig’ blowing the ? (little tent ⛺️) down.
Nothing doing today, watching virtual church and possibly the funeral and recovering from yesterday’s whirlwind!
Keep safe folks. I’ll try to pop back!

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 18-Apr-21 07:53:21

Good Morning Mick and everyone, it sounds as though normality is approaching Mick, let’s all hope it’s getting safer as the number of vaccinations increase, DH. Has his 2nd one next week.
Spent yesterday sorting out the garden, still a huge pile of nettles to tackle so I’ll find my sturdiest gloves before I have a go at it, let’s hope the weather stays nice, it’s sunny here but only on 0 degrees.
Watched the very moving funeral yesterday, felt so sad for the Queen though, I’m sure it was closer to what the Duke would have wanted, some Pomp and Ceremony outside, but family inside the Church.
Have a good day everyone and hugs to those who aren’t so chipper today.

Urmstongran Sun 18-Apr-21 08:00:50

Good morning everyone from south Manchester where it’s dry but looks chilly out. The town centre was very busy yesterday and I looked from our balcony at all the people eating and drinking in the Loungers Bar below us and in the pub across the road on the railway platform and bet there will be some bad heeds in some households this morning.

Prince Philip’s funeral was probably the nearest a royal family could ever hope to achieve due to circumstances. The members of the family stood out better for the camera in their morning dress. I came undone at the playing of Nimrod and my tears then welled intermittently throughout the service. The slow march with the gun salute and the bell tolling was poignant.

No tears today hopefully! Stepfather joining us for a lunch of beef in ale, mashed potatoes and cabbage. Sunday = wine and we have a bottle of Chilean merlot with our name on it.

I had hoped gillybob would be back amongst us by now? Sadly not. Hope your text message hasn’t caused you too much anxiety harrigran. Hope Sunday is kind to us all. x

Jaxjacky Sun 18-Apr-21 08:01:51

Good morning all, slight frost and very high cloud in S Hants, glad you enjoyed your trip out Mick. Up to the allotment yesterday, a little digging, it’s hard work as so dry, watered the potatoes. Watched the very poignant funeral. Then DS and GF popped in, first time we’ve met her, not sure, it’s difficult and unfair to form a view in an hour and a half. Then, ta da, hair cut, I was frozen by the time we’d done.
Enjoy Norfolk gill and harrigran hope you’re message wasn’t too perturbing.
Have a pleasant day all, whatever your doings, thoughts with those absent. ??☘️(for muse).

dragonfly46 Sun 18-Apr-21 08:02:14

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire.

I too found the funeral very moving but I do wish it didn’t involve guns and cannons.
Especially good to see Wills and Harry together.

Hope your message wasn’t too upsetting Harrigan you are having a tough time. flowers
Still missing Bellasnana.

Will walk later and hope it isn’t as warm as yesterday.

Urmstongran Sun 18-Apr-21 08:02:25

Duh. ‘... nearest to ‘private’.

Gagagran Sun 18-Apr-21 08:02:47

Morning all from a bright and sunny south coast. Still chilly early and late. Only 0.2c first thing. We really need some rain now though. Everywhere is very dry.

What a wonderful funeral service Prince Philip had devised. It was pitch perfect. It must have been a very hard day for the Queen and only the hardest heart could have failed to empathise.

Coming form a military family, I love a military band and parade and seeing it all carried out so perfectly, with the wonderful backdrop of the castle added to the emotion of the sad occasion. The ponies and carriage added to that.

I had never heard the Russian Kontakion of the departed before but it was hauntingly beautiful and one I hope to hear again on Classic FM.

So back to our reality now and tomorrow the garage roof is set to go. We have been lucky with the weather and hope it enables the builders to get the new roof on and the job finished once the asbestos is removed.

DH is venturing out with his bike club this morning for a shortened version of their planned ride. He will be back for lunch.

Hope the day is a god one for us all sunshine