Gransnet forums

Chat

No More Nails.

(168 Posts)
BigBertha1 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:15:39

I think I have almost decided not to continue having gel nails. I have not missed the 'tyranny' of 3 week apart appointments plus the rising cost c£40 during the lockdown.

Anyone else had a change of heart about something they regularly did pre-pandemic?

Blossoming Sun 18-Apr-21 10:18:47

I’m not having my hair coloured.

Baggs Sun 18-Apr-21 10:20:01

£40!?!!!!

Blimey! My nails have cost me a couple of pairs of nail clippers in my entire life and a regular dose of hand cream because I have dry skin. Clean, healthy, nae bother, no expense. It astonishes me how much people are prepared to spend on "beauty" peoducts and services.

M0nica Sun 18-Apr-21 10:30:57

I thought this thread was going to be about the DIY product with the same name!grin

Shinamae Sun 18-Apr-21 10:33:41

M0nica

I thought this thread was going to be about the DIY product with the same name!grin

So did I....?

Cherrytree59 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:38:54

I also thought it was about the DIY product grin

I couldn't wait to get back for my pedicure (horrible nails)
and eye brow wax and colour £30 in total.
However at this moment in time, I am sat here waiting on the hair colour applied by my DH taking.
He has done it all through lockdown with satisfactory results.
So next week I will saving some money at my long awaited hairdresser appointment.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:43:28

I used to have the Gel Nails until the day that my fingers suddenly swelled up and the skin split open, I was obviously allergic to the glue (?)
Once the nails were off my own nails were very soft and bendy and I had to cut them very short, since then they have been very flaky, peeling like an onion and I haven’t been able to grow them above the line of my fingertip.
I think the false nails have ruined my own, I used them for 4 years or so.

Chestnut Sun 18-Apr-21 11:04:11

I cut my own hair a month or so ago, and now looking at it and thinking it's not half bad. I'm wondering whether to bother with the hairdresser! It's quite thick and fairly straight which means a few bad swipes of the scissors are not that noticeable. I keep it just above collar length, not very short.

AmberSpyglass Sun 18-Apr-21 11:15:00

Baggs Just because it isn’t something you’d prioritise doesn’t mean you get to sneer at it for other people.

Mollygo Sun 18-Apr-21 11:19:46

I’m waiting for our next holiday before I have gel nails again. My own nails are okay but I feel so much better meeting lots of new people, when my nails are beautifully manicured and a pretty colour.
Gel lasts the time we're usually away. I found, during the first lockdown, that me soaking them off myself did less damage to the nail underneath than having them scraped off when I went to have them replaced.

timetogo2016 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:38:50

Me too Shinamae.
As for the real no nails post,i have never had them.

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 11:39:55

I do my own nails with sensationail peel off base coat. You use it with a lamp. It lasts about ten days and yes, peels off. No damage at all.
It's phenomenal stuff. I can't praise it enough!

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 11:40:37

Oh, and I thought it was about the glue too. DH is a fan.

JackyB Sun 18-Apr-21 11:41:39

Oopsadaisy1

I used to have the Gel Nails until the day that my fingers suddenly swelled up and the skin split open, I was obviously allergic to the glue (?)
Once the nails were off my own nails were very soft and bendy and I had to cut them very short, since then they have been very flaky, peeling like an onion and I haven’t been able to grow them above the line of my fingertip.
I think the false nails have ruined my own, I used them for 4 years or so.

I thought gel nails were just a special kind of varnish applied with a brush. I used to have my toenails done like that but the lady I go to now doesn't do it. Removing it requires special products, but no glue is involved.

My fingernails have never grown. They always flake off.I never bit them, there was never enough of them to bite. I have spent a fortune on creams, buffers, powders, tablets and other forms of treatment to encourage growth, prevent breakage and generally strengthen them but nothing has ever helped.

mokryna Sun 18-Apr-21 11:47:06

I have never done this because I suffer from allergies even with nail varnish, wish I could as mine are not pretty through nail biting. Finally stopped a few years ago when my dentist said my teeth were wearing down because of this habit. Did see someone on the tv recently with gelled nails on their toes, gave me the creeps.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 18-Apr-21 11:48:58

I have had my manicure and pedicure this week with gel nail varnish, no glue involved.

I also had a patch test because I am having my eyebrows and eyelashes dyed as they have become more and more grey. I was apprehensive at the thought of dark slugs above my eyes, but have every confidence in the beautician and I am assured they will be light brown/dark blonde to match my hair.

I have treatments for me, to make me feel better not for anyone else (DH is increasingly unobservant). I come from a long line of well turned out females and shall continue to do so to the very end.

mokryna Sun 18-Apr-21 11:49:34

Since my doctor has prescribed extra dose each month of vitamin D my nails have improved.

Witzend Sun 18-Apr-21 11:52:36

I thought it was going to be about glue, too.

I do my own manicure, but keep nails quite short now - they seem to grow alarmingly quickly these days - with just a coat or two of clear polish.

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 11:52:44

Mokryna I was going to mention vitamin D; if you read any hair thread on here you will see that I'm forever banging on about it!

JaneJudge Sun 18-Apr-21 11:52:55

another who thought it was about diy grin

Gorilla glue do a similar product now too, I am obsessed with gorilla glue. My MIL who has been a widow for a long time relies on gorilla glue for EVERYTHING diy. She has not needed a man apparently because of this..<how sexist grin>

FannyCornforth Sun 18-Apr-21 11:54:45

Janeso there we are! Sorted!
Gorilla glue and vitamin D, every base covered!

JaneJudge Sun 18-Apr-21 11:58:40

grin I must take mine, I am on go slow this morning and have just realised it is almost afternoon

Maggiemaybe Sun 18-Apr-21 12:01:59

I used to paint my own nails every few days. Now I’ve a drawer packed full of nail varnishes that hasn’t been opened since March 2020. Ditto the jewellery box, apart from at Christmas and Easter. I’m hoping normal service will resume with both once we get a social life back.

I’m pretty sure I can dispose of most of my heels though - I don’t think I’d know how to walk in them now, and I don’t think I even want to try!

Kamiso Sun 18-Apr-21 12:06:18

Shinamae

M0nica

So did I....?

So did I? Very disappointed with No More Nails!

Rosalyn69 Sun 18-Apr-21 12:07:50

I’m back having manicures and pedicures and hair cut and coloured. Not doing so would make me think I was “letting myself go”. I like to look nice and well cared for.