Gransnet forums

Chat

Dry skin on legs........Help!

(39 Posts)
DanniRae Fri 23-Apr-21 07:35:26

It is getting closer to the time when I get my legs out and trousers can no longer hide my shame....... The skin on my legs is so dry and flaky and it is an awful sight blush
Does anyone know of a good moisturiser to sort out this problem? I have to say that I have tried out quite a few already!
Thank you smile

Lillie Fri 23-Apr-21 07:41:48

I use moisturiser and cream from the epaderm range. I think it can be prescribed by doctors, but Boots and most chemists sell it. Quite expensive but good.

JaneJudge Fri 23-Apr-21 07:43:14

Have you tried exfoliating first? The Liz Earle stuff is great to use weekly/monthly (I only say this as it's expensive)

uk.lizearle.com/product/BODYCARE-HANDCARE/cleanse-and-polish-body-original

followed by

uk.lizearle.com/product/BODYCARE-HANDCARE/skin-replenishing-body-balm-classic

Daily, I use those spray moisturisers as they are absorbed quickly after a shower. E45, aveeno and vaseline do them, like this. I tend to buy whichever one is on special when I do my shopping as they seem to take it in turns

www.aveeno.co.uk/products/daily-moisturising-after-shower-mist?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GO-GB-ENG-PS-Aveeno-GP-BM-RN-Mist&utm_content=Moisturiser%20-%20Spray&utm_term=+spray%20+moisturiser&&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0lhsixprwl9HO6LmQfWyG5dEEMv34GPPoFkBGxnE9PWV2KCNircBt3IaAsP_EALw_wcB&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvYSEBhDjARIsAJMn0lhsixprwl9HO6LmQfWyG5dEEMv34GPPoFkBGxnE9PWV2KCNircBt3IaAsP_EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

lemsip Fri 23-Apr-21 07:45:23

Hydromol ointment .....500g cost approx £6 a little bit rubbed well into legs........also good for eczema psoriasis etc.
some of the thinner creams were no good for me.

Juliet27 Fri 23-Apr-21 07:58:00

And exfoliate before using

Juliet27 Fri 23-Apr-21 07:59:01

Oops, as JaneJ has already said

Oopsadaisy1 Fri 23-Apr-21 08:00:30

We use Aveeno.
Coincidentally I read yesterday that we are all showering/bathing too often, every other day is plenty, otherwise you dry out your skin and wash away friendly bacteria, leaving you open to dry skin and infections in the cracked skin. Yuk.

nadateturbe Fri 23-Apr-21 08:02:12

I have psoriasis and have tried lots of things cheap and expensive.
The best I have ever used is one I discovered recently. Farmologie pink grapefruit moisturiser. Not expensive. Can order from Boots. I higjly recommend it.

nadateturbe Fri 23-Apr-21 08:03:04

Can also get bath soak and bodywash in same range.

ginny Fri 23-Apr-21 08:03:33

Aqueous cream. Large pot for around £3.00

grandmajet Fri 23-Apr-21 08:04:05

I use Aveeno. It’s great.

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Apr-21 08:05:00

I am wary of creams with paraffin in.

I like some of the Dr. Organics range from Holland and Barrett for my dry and itchy legs. They do have fragrance though.

Lucca Fri 23-Apr-21 08:25:32

Oopsadaisy1

We use Aveeno.
Coincidentally I read yesterday that we are all showering/bathing too often, every other day is plenty, otherwise you dry out your skin and wash away friendly bacteria, leaving you open to dry skin and infections in the cracked skin. Yuk.

Yuk to not showering daily!

grannysyb Fri 23-Apr-21 08:29:03

I have chronic spontaneous urticaria and use Cetraben.

Puzzler61 Fri 23-Apr-21 08:30:40

Another vote for Aqueous cream. You can afford to be generous with it as it’s ‘cheap as chips’ ?
A Dermotologist recommended it to me as there is little in it anyone could be allergic to, unlike perfumed moisturisers.

Cheesey Fri 23-Apr-21 08:31:00

Another vote for Aveeno. I have dry skin too and this is the best body moisturiser I have used. I bought some for my sister who was complaining about dry skin on her legs and she said the same.

Shelflife Fri 23-Apr-21 08:51:32

Aveeno every time !

Notinthemanual Fri 23-Apr-21 09:14:58

Having never been entirely happy with body lotions / moisturisers I started using Argan oil, when that ran out I used almond oil. For me oil is much better and my toenails and cuticles have benefitted too.

NotSpaghetti Fri 23-Apr-21 09:17:08

My father always used Almond oil notinthemanual.
I know it's very gentle.

MiniMoon Fri 23-Apr-21 09:38:44

I've been using Aveeno for my dry legs and arms. I like the original one the best.
Two of my grandsons have x-linked ichthiosis, and this is what they were prescribed with as babies.

12Michael Fri 23-Apr-21 10:06:40

I suffer with Eczema on the lower part of both legs , and through my surgery , one of the nurses decided to on prescription to have Hydromol ointment, which is a 500mg tub very much like a soap as well , it moistens the skin.
Mick

Elusivebutterfly Fri 23-Apr-21 11:02:34

I use Epaderm as an emollient instead of soap and it helps a lot. You can get it on prescription. I have used Diprobase (also available on prescription) but mostly use Nivea. I have excema and my skin is very dry but this helps.

tiredoldwoman Fri 23-Apr-21 11:08:31

Baby oil after shower , every day .

Cherrytree59 Fri 23-Apr-21 11:15:08

Zerocream worked for me.

I have this on prescription from doctor for dry itchy legs .

At first I used morning and night.
Now I only have to apply once a day after my shower.

Never miss a day and skin now no longer dry, itchy or flaky.

Kali2 Fri 23-Apr-21 11:17:03

The key is not to let it go too far. I moisturise lower legs and massage feet every single day, and get rid of any dry build up- every single morning.