Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(96 Posts)
12Michael Thu 06-May-21 06:07:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dry but cloudy start here in Brackley this morning.
Today , a busy one for me , once I have had my breakfast I will go and place my vote in the local polling station .
Later , I will get the bus to Bicester , and do my usual but also try and get a blood pressure monitor, as I have need to give readings for my bi annual blood test, for diabetes cum general health check next week .
Take Care ,
Mick

Beechnut Thu 06-May-21 06:13:45

Good Morning Mick and all to come from a dull and damp Severnside.

I had my second vaccination yesterday. So far so good.
Today I’ll finish off a job and then see if the cleaner wants to come out from under the stairs.

Have a good day everyone ?

grandMattie Thu 06-May-21 06:25:23

Good morning from E Kent. The day looks nicer than the past week. My word, wasn’t that hail storm an squall yesterday evening something?
Beech, are we talking mechanical or human cleaner? ?
DH went to get the 12-weekly hormone injection for controlling his prostate cancer yesterday and was slightly alarmed to find that he was back on three monthly blood tests, etc. Probably nothing, but a bit unsettling.
Voting today. I used to always take my children to “poll at the polling station”. I hope they use their rights wisely. No idea who to vote for. DH is threatening not to vote. I gave him what for! He was probably winding me up, something he does at least 4 times a day ?
I hope today brings wisdom to the Scots to vote in their parliamentary elections.
May we have peace, relief and metaphorical sunshine ☀️ and smiles ? in our lives, with a few flamingos ??? thrown in for good measure. ?

Gagagran Thu 06-May-21 06:34:47

Morning Mick, Beechnut and all who follow from a 1.7c south coast. We are forecast showers again today so my rain dance certainly worked. I need to do a sun dance now I think.

I do postal voting so no need to venture to the polling station today. Find it very convenient.

DS is coming to see us on Sunday, after a bike ride on the South Downs, so we will hear about his new job and have a meal together, before he goes back home. Looking forward to seeing him. He has been such a strong support this past 12 months.

Hope the day is a good one for us all. sunshine

harrigran Thu 06-May-21 06:39:07

Good morning from a bright but frosty NE.
Yesterday we had hail and thunder but lovely sunshine in the evening.
DH has a other appointment this morning, an injection that shouldn't take too long.
DD had been in the UK for less than 12 hours when she had phone messages warning her that she would be checked and would be fined if she broke quarantine.
My lovely neighbour saw DH leaving with BIL so rang me to see if all was well, she was on the phone for 45 minutes, nice to chat.
Election day, my vote was posted a week or two ago, hoping for big changes in our city.

Sar53 Thu 06-May-21 06:46:56

Good morning from a bright and sunny Essex by the sea.
I spent yesterday with DH helping out on his boat.
Today it's shopping and voting.
Have a lovely Thursday everyone xx

Ashcombe Thu 06-May-21 06:48:49

Good morning, early risers! It’s rather grey here in Torbay but sunshine expected later.

Your cleaner will be pleased to see the light of day, I’m sure, Beechnut after being in the cupboard..... ! Mine is due tomorrow but she lives in her own house!!

Yesterday I attended my usual Zoom mid week social club with Toads am-dram folk which is always good fun, not least due to the banter between the dozen or so attendees. DH joined in as usual and then, following that, we had our daily Zoom. No further progress on travelling except I've heard it can cost up to £400 for the required tests to cross borders.

I hope those with problems see some solutions and those with plans for the day see sunny skies. ?☀️?

Dwmxwg Thu 06-May-21 06:53:20

Good morning from north Surrey. High cloud and bright so far. The garden looks fresh after another good soaking yesterday evening.
Freddie is much more himself this morning although the wound site looking a bit red where he has been licking, may have to resort to the cone at night but it is huge!
Yesterday at PT my lower back “went”, doing a very simple exercise I have done thousands of times. We finished the session with lots of stretching which I have continued and topping up with paracetamol. Surprisingly this morning I can move freely although I know it’s not right. Keep moving is the best medicine so will visit gym after school run and use the stepper and lots more stretching today
The boys are still asleep, they were delightful yesterday evening with stories of their Bank holiday adventures and cuddles for Freddie.
A visit to the garden centre to buy gifts for a friend and BIL and look at the cards for upcoming birthdays. Otherwise pottering as I can’t really bend too much.
I do hope Dexter is feeling better today and there is some benefit from procedure, such a shame they didn’t do biopsy at same time.
Sending positive thoughts to all those in need, and ?? to bring smile

Grammaretto Thu 06-May-21 06:55:19

Good morning Mick and all from a snowscene here in the Scottish Borders. Not a lot but cold with it. I am up early to get my voting done before an organised walk in the Border hills with U3A. I keep waiting hoping to hear it is cancelled. wink
Sorry for all those with family health worries.

cornergran Thu 06-May-21 06:56:15

Morning Mick, morning All. Cloudy and 3 degrees in our corner of Somerset. We’re forecast sun this afternoon, hope that proves to be so.

Yesterday flew by, absolutely no idea what today will bring, a wait and see day. We use postal voting so done and dusted, just the PCC here.

Hope your husbands appointment goes to plan harri. Good wishes to all with health appointments, there seem to be many

Take care everyone, hope Thursday is kind to us all.

kittylester Thu 06-May-21 07:09:59

Good morning all from North Leicestershire where we have dark clouds and a few spots of rain on the velux.

We have also done postal voting but I shall miss going to the polling station.

One of the cats has to go to the vets at 9am this morning but I have delegated that task to DH. We then have some stuff to return to M&S and will no doubt buy more stuff which will have to go back at a later date. Brilliant system.

Sainsbury's delivery this pm and I also have to look at our house and contents insurance. Comparing different companies is difficult as they all seem to include and exclude different stuff but one I looked at yesterday was half the price of our current one - is that a result or a worry?

Jaxjacky Thu 06-May-21 07:11:11

Good morning all from a high cloud, chilly S Hants. Mick pharmacy should have no monitors.
Off to vote soon, had the txt yesterday to book second jab, next Thursday. Will catch up later with news.
Have a good day all ???

Grandmadinosaur Thu 06-May-21 07:20:40

Good Morning from a bright sunny but nippy East Yorkshire. I haven’t posted much recently as I’ve been really busy overseeing several building effforts in the house. Oh my I am exhausted by it. It is a 1930 build and no job ever goes to plan.
I feel we have turned a corner yesterday in more ways than one. Firstly we learnt that we will be have a new (2nd) grandchild on the way. We’re thrilled to bits. Then DH and I both got our 2nd jabs in the afternoon. Phew so much excitement in one day!
Wishing everyone suffering a good day.

Susan56 Thu 06-May-21 07:21:20

Good morning from Shropshire.

We had a very long but pleasant day yesterday.The journey was more like five hours down as there were road closures and long diversions.We took a different journey home so not as bad.
We went for our picnic at a beach local to my in laws and had a short walk to stretch our legs before spending the afternoon with the family.MIL and FIL were in better shape than we had been led to believe.Both looked well but MIL is basically blind now.She was booked to have surgery on her eyes the week the first lockdown began, not cataracts but something similar?‍♀️the operation was cancelled and she still has not heard anything from the consultant.Her sight has deteriorated so much the family made the decision she should be seen privately and she is paying to have the first operation hopefully in two weeks time.

I am exhausted today so my only plan is to read my new Lynda La Plante book #traineelazygran.

Gosh Ash that’s a lot of money for tests.So one is making a lot of profit?

Hope that Mary is starting to feel better after her awful reaction to the second vaccine and that Cherry is doing well and coping with the kitchen fitting.

Sending thoughts to all unwell and all with worries about loved ones.

Have a good day all??

Urmstongran Thu 06-May-21 07:23:39

Good morning GraMmingoes from south Manchester where we currently have light rain, dark grey skies and a high of 3°C. The forecast is for sun later & I truly hope so as we are meeting 2 friends this after at a bar near to them in Flixton and yesterday we asked my stepfather if he would like to join us, thinking a couple of hours with a pint and a blether would do him good. The bar we are going to does have a deep awning and plastic side panels so hopefully if we wrap up warm we will be fine. Ever the Pollyanna ...

We did our postal votes last week. We set this arrangement up when we retired. Turnout will be low in rainy areas I dare say!

Hopefully we will all have an enjoyable Thursday. Keep safe. x

Pittcity Thu 06-May-21 07:24:02

Good morning from a cold but bright Colchester. More like February than May. Rain forecast for later.
Votes posted last week. We find it more relaxed doing it that way and have done it for years.
Housework and shopping today. Online quiz with family tonight.

Much love to all x

baubles Thu 06-May-21 07:25:47

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire. We have a light covering of snow, more a sheet than a blanket. Ridiculous weather.

Have you tried a babygro for Freddie instead of the cone dwm? What a shame about your back, sometimes it’s the simplest movement that causes the most damage I find.

Hope your DH’s appointment goes well Harri

Childminding today in the capital city.
DD -out-law is gradually returning to work after mat leave. She’s only doing a few hours today from home so we will take the little ones out for a bit of a wander, weather permitting. We will pop into the polling station on the way home.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day.

Gelisajams Thu 06-May-21 07:28:04

Good morning from a frosty Morecambe Bay. Our builder cried of yesterday and rescheduled for next week so we went of to various garden centres so DH could look at the construction of arbours. He’s finally getting serious about making one for the corner of our garden. I wandered off to look at plants. Always an expensive mistake! Today I’ll have to plant them along with all the others I’ve accumulated recently.
I understand your concern about that 3 monthly PSA test Grandmattie DH booked his yesterday for next Thursday. When he phoned the surgery they said they were no longer doing blood tests for hospital consultants and gave him a different number to call. The GP surgeries seem to be doing less and less. Not good.
We did the same Kitty and got ours at virtually half price. So difficult to compare exactly.
Take care and stay safe everyone ???

Urmstongran Thu 06-May-21 07:30:34

I am exhausted today so my only plan is to read my new Lynda La Plante book #traineelazygran.

I’m delighted with your progress Susan56 you’re applying yourself well to the concept. Keep practising though as it’s easy to slip back into old habits.
#lazygran

NanKate Thu 06-May-21 07:33:21

Morning Mick and All.

Have woken to a mist with the sun trying to break through here in South Bucks.

A quiet day AGAIN but will fit in some tennis from Madrid this afternoon.

Yesterday I popped down town and decided to go for an outdoors coffee. On the next table was someone who looked a similar age to me and was wearing all the bright colours I like. We started chatting and she mentioned the colours I was wearing. We chatted like old friends for about 20 mins. In the past I would have smiled but not got into a long conversation. ?

Susan56 Thu 06-May-21 07:34:02

Urmstongran I am doing my best?any ideas/tips always welcome!!

Urmstongran Thu 06-May-21 07:39:59

Start small Susan56 and good results will encourage bolder moves. For example, years ago I happened to mention to Himself that he made a much nicer cup of tea than me. I very rarely make my own these days ...
??

brook2704 Thu 06-May-21 07:40:23

Good morning everyone from Inverness where we’ve had overnight slushy snow so everything is white outside. I didn’t think we’d see that again for a while..
Hope your back is better soon dwm and the stretches help too
Both DGC stayed over last night and are just awake now, so lovely morning cuddles all round. We’re taking them home after lunch and then popping into town for a bit of shopping
What lovely news grandmadinosaur a new baby on the way!!
We’ve also done our votes by post so that’s done already
Hope everyone with worries and struggles has a gentle day today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 06-May-21 07:44:24

Morning all

As the song goes Oh what a night The 6 yr old felt poorly so from midnight was piggy in the middle in our bed. I nearly fell out of bed numerous times, hardly any ? sleep. Consequently I have a horrendous headache ? The 6 yr old is of course fine, bouncing around asking for breakfast!!

Keep safe and well folks ??

Elizabeth1 Thu 06-May-21 07:49:05

Good morning everyone from a beautiful sunny start to the day here on the east coast of Fife.

that’s the bin men been hope they’ve lifted all they only emptied 2 garden refuse bins last week leaving the 3rd one full up. My DH got his knickers in a twist about that saying he’ll need to get it emptied for all the work being carried out.

Himself and I had a lovely weekend hotel break close to home and we’re having another one this weekend near to our DD and grandchildren people appear to be booking in madness due to lockdown restrictions being lifted it’s a real shame there’s been loads of people not turning up for their bookings. Shame on them.

I’m going to have an interesting afternoon I’ve agreed St. Andrews medical students can call in their quest to advance their training and knowledge regarding my health history. hey ho whatever pleases.

That’s my postal vote been sent off weeks ago in the hope of the best ( in my opinion) people getting elected grin
FREEDOM IS COMING in more ways than one have a good day everyone. flowers