Gransnet forums

Chat

The meaning of life ?

(55 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Fri 07-May-21 10:18:59

I find that as I get older (63) I’ve become preoccupied about death and am thinking more and more about why we’re all here and the possibility of there being some form of afterlife. I was raised Catholic but left the faith in my teens but feel drawn to it now. I know death is a dirty word in our society and that most people don’t seem to think about it and just get on with living. Am I in the minority to be thinking this way? How do you manage to live reasonably contentedly when you’ve entered the last phase in your life and death is round the corner?

M0nica Fri 07-May-21 10:23:35

By not worrying about it. I have always known it was inevitable, I have never not thought about it, so I am now quite comfortable with it.

Peasblossom Fri 07-May-21 10:50:06

Death is just a human concept. We say a living thing has died but really they have just changed one state of matter for another.

Doesn’t St Paul say “I show you a mystery. We shall not die, we shall be changed”.

Once, not so long ago, the matter that made us existed in another form and then it changed and became an embryo and then a human being. And we grew and valued what we had become. So much that we don’t want it to change.

Don’t fear change -or death if you want to call it that. Who knows what wonderful new state awaits us!

vampirequeen Fri 07-May-21 10:50:42

I know a lady who has just turned 100. She says we should all live everyday as if it's our last. Some might be living their last day to age or illness but even healthy people die in accidents and no one knows when their time will be. Just enjoy today and let tomorrow sort itself out.

Redhead56 Fri 07-May-21 10:57:12

My mum always used to say life is a game of bingo when your number is up that’s it!

BigBertha1 Fri 07-May-21 10:57:32

I dont think about death other than to hopeful it wont be painful but I do dwell in the past regretting almost every decision.

Kate1949 Fri 07-May-21 11:09:52

Since I turned 70, I have become a complete hypochondriac. Every ache or pain is potentially fatal. I get annoyed with myself as I realise other people have real illnesses.
It's also rather sad as my life hasn't been great and I'm spoiling this last bit.

Redhead56 Fri 07-May-21 11:45:50

I quoted what my mum used to say earlier now the question gets me been thinking. I watched my dad have ill health for ten miserable years then a very sudden death. My mum died after a long hard life ending with terrible dementia.
Currently some probably think more about the meaning of life and death. Dwelling on illness as I do too is probably just part of it why do we have to suffer what is the point to it? It’s the unknown none of us knows the answer.

yggdrasil Fri 07-May-21 11:50:41

Some people here seem to think there is existence after death. This does not seem ok to me. So I too would hope I went quickly without pain. And remember there is Dignitas

Shelflife Fri 07-May-21 11:52:17

As I age I too think about leaving this world , family and friends. However I am here now !! and intend to make the most of it. It is not just older people who face the inevitable, many young people and children are aware of having a short time left. A young member of my family has terminal cancer , very distressing. So yes I am ageing but endeavor not to overthink my demise!!

nanna8 Fri 07-May-21 11:55:55

I take a Christian viewpoint here, nothing to fear but everything to look forward to.
‘For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, ,that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life ‘

Shinamae Fri 07-May-21 11:56:38

I would certainly contemplate Dignitas rather than have my house sold for me to be kept in care not been able to do anything for myself,No quality of life. and my children not having any inheritance from me. The only thing is I think that if I got dementia I would not have the chance to go to Dignitas.I do not think there is anything after this I think we are born and we die end of.....

Lin52 Fri 07-May-21 11:58:54

Peasblossom

Death is just a human concept. We say a living thing has died but really they have just changed one state of matter for another.

Doesn’t St Paul say “I show you a mystery. We shall not die, we shall be changed”.

Once, not so long ago, the matter that made us existed in another form and then it changed and became an embryo and then a human being. And we grew and valued what we had become. So much that we don’t want it to change.

Don’t fear change -or death if you want to call it that. Who knows what wonderful new state awaits us!

As one of my favourite songs says” One day at a time, sweet Jesus”, Loretta Lynn.

grandmajet Fri 07-May-21 12:00:41

As one who has incurable cancer, I think about it every day, although I still try to find pleasure and fun in the same places that I always have. It is not so much dying as leaving those I love that upsets me. Also walking round the garden, making plans that I don’t know if I will see come to fruition. I can’t walk as far as I could, I can’t eat what I could, but I can laugh with my loved ones.
I don’t think there is an afterlife, it makes no sense to me, but we live on in a way through the memories people hold of us. I’m gently trying to make sure my husband will be able to do all the little bits and pieces that I have always done, and encouraging him to keep going walking, meeting with friends etc. I remember someone once saying that dying was like leaving before the end of a film! That sums it up - unless the world ended with an almighty bang and we all went together.

Namsnanny Fri 07-May-21 12:07:25

Some times I'm exhausted trying to make the best of this 'last bit' (as Katie49) put it!!
Then disappointed in my self for not doing better, in the past and now.

The constant nagging in the back of my brain to make the best of every day, and that we only have one life is counterintuitive and actually destructive.

Namsnanny Fri 07-May-21 12:08:47

grandmajetflowers

BBbevan Fri 07-May-21 12:08:50

What a happy little post !!!!!

3nanny6 Fri 07-May-21 12:11:21

Occasionally the thought of dying and leaving this world crosses my mind, it is quite taboo to discuss this with people as many just want to get on with life and living.

Have any of you seen one of those sympathy cards for dogs?
There is one I like called the Rainbow poem and it is about
the dog happy and at peace playing happily and there is a bridge crossing over into the field the dog knows when it is time the owner will meet with him again and no more separation. I have two dogs at the moment and always tell them make sure you wait for me by that bridge I know they must think I am crazy but it comforts me.

Do hope your not too depressed MaggieT you are still a young woman with plenty of life to live.

Emily49 Fri 07-May-21 12:13:40

For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, ,that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life
So if, for whatever reason, one does not ‘believeth’, one perishes? Not overly caring, if you’re not “in the club”

3nanny6 Fri 07-May-21 12:17:13

Grandmajet can't imagine how difficult it must be with an incurable disease, Don't worry there is a God he will be there to take you home best wishes to you.

Namsnanny Fri 07-May-21 12:20:42

BBbevan

What a happy little post !!!!!

We aim to please!!grin

moggie57 Fri 07-May-21 12:22:20

every day i do , i hate thinking that i will make my daughter full of grief .and my grandchildren . am not scared of dying .god is with me ,and i will be meeting my mum and other relatives . so i have to make each day the best that i can . i am living on borrowed time due to my health issues . so i do the things i need to do ,like my will/family history and my volunteer work .MAKE EACH DAY COUNT ......it something we cant get out of ...birth /marriage if any/life and death . but alive in christ...

Namsnanny Fri 07-May-21 12:24:30

BTW BBbevan it's not compulsory to read or for that matter comment.
It seemed quite clear what might be discussed by the title to me.

Peasblossom Fri 07-May-21 12:33:40

I’m not a Christian. It’s just scientific fact. The matter that makes us cannot be destroyed. It once was something else before it became us and will be something else when our body no longer exists.

The matter that makes us will take infinite forms. There is no “death”. Only change.

CafeAuLait Fri 07-May-21 12:39:24

I just live each day as it comes, have little adventures and enjoy the small day to day pleasures. Death itself, I suppose if we go to nothing we won't know it so it won't matter. If there is something, we'll find out.