Gransnet forums

Chat

Any nice DiL's

(54 Posts)
Newatthis Sat 08-May-21 14:49:19

So often on this site we read about the awful relationships some have with their DiL's (and vice versa). Do any of you have a wonderful DiL (or even nice would do). Much as I tried my MiL was very jealous from the word go. I couldn't do anything right. Even keeping a clean house was me being 'too fussy' (BTW I'm not that fussy) and cooking nice meals was 'showing off etc etc'. I could write volumes. However, she has recently died and it made me sad to think that the relationship could have been much better with both her son and our children if she hadn't have been so bitter and jealous towards me and anything my DH did for me. We really tried hard. She cut her nose off to spite her face really but didn't know she was doing it.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 14:51:37

I have got three marvellous daughter-in-laws, we are friend’s, go away for weekends (pre-Covid) meet for lunch etc.

tanith Sat 08-May-21 14:59:02

My sons partner is a wonderful mother and dil they do live abroad but she regularly sends me pictures and messages about the children. When I visit she makes me so welcome as do her family we have such a lovely time, my son was lucky to find her. I just wish we could spend more time together.

Sheepandcattle Sat 08-May-21 15:02:29

I have 2 DiLs that I love dearly. Like any friendship, it takes time to develop but we’re comfortable enough now to enjoy spending time together with or without my sons. I would do anything I could to support them and wouldn’t dream of criticising them (especially as they are undoubtedly better wives and mothers than I ever was!)

M0nica Sat 08-May-21 15:06:28

I had a wonderful warm loving DMiL, who I loved dearly.

Now I have a wonderful DDiL, a far better mother than I ever was. I cannot imagine what DS did or said to persuade her to be his wife, but I hope he counts his blessings regularly.

Lexisgranny Sat 08-May-21 15:07:09

Yes, mine!

SueDonim Sat 08-May-21 15:08:35

I love my two DIL’s! They’ve been in our family for nigh on twenty years and they’re a blessing.

Gingster Sat 08-May-21 15:10:23

Yes same here. Two lovely D’s in law and had a wonderful SIL.
DD has another partner who we can’t stand.

timetogo2016 Sat 08-May-21 15:13:34

I have 2 wonderfull Dil`s who i love to bits and thankfully they feel the same about me.
It hurts to hear/read how many Dil`s and Mil`s are nasty.
And what lovely relationships they are missing out on.

BlueSapphire Sat 08-May-21 15:13:57

Yes, my son's partner is lovely, as is my son-in-law. Cannot speak too highly of them.

Namsnanny Sat 08-May-21 15:16:17

Well I have 3 dils and I couldn't speak for them, but I like and support them.
I loved my mil and my father said he loved my husband like a son.
My mother, now that's a whole different story!

Bridie22 Sat 08-May-21 15:28:50

Couldn't have picked a better daughter in law, she is a kind and caring person.

grannyrebel7 Sat 08-May-21 15:36:46

Mine is lovely too.

Gelisajams Sat 08-May-21 15:36:52

Yes I’m happy with my DIL and my son’s partner. We are not terribly close but get on well. We visit about once a month and are on call for child care duties if needed. If I need to make arrangements I go through them rather than my sons. I get more sense!

B9exchange Sat 08-May-21 15:48:46

I have 3 DiLs, all very different. One lived with us for 3 years whilst DS and DGDs were abroad. One was desperately shy, but asked me to make her wedding dress, and the one who lives nearest has become panicked by the virus, so have only seen her briefly on her doorstep a handful of times in the past 18 months. Get on well with all of them, but they are focused on their families, can't imagine meeting up without them.

Chardy Sat 08-May-21 16:47:53

I have a lovely DDiL, as does my sister with her 3 DDiLs.
(Btw some have children, some don't.)

Party4 Sat 08-May-21 17:07:48

I had a wonderful MIL who helped us so much in very many practical ways and as she became older/infirmed I told her it was now pay back time and I would and did do everything for her.Both my DILs were able to meet her for a short time and knew of our fond relationship and when my DSs married I tried to continue in the same way.One DIL was great accepted offers of help,support,shared advice and help unite the two families but the other DILalways kept both my DH and myself at a distance and resisted any form of support(unless we were actually handing over cash).As time passed we were all on eggshells as she could ruin a family event depending on her mood.I honestly did try, but the marriage broke down, her decision and even now she still controls us because of access of DGCs.
Our other DIL has been such a support through some difficult family times and we have a lovely relaxed relationship.

Lillie Sat 08-May-21 17:12:06

Yes, both lovely.
I am very lucky.

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 08-May-21 17:13:41

I wasn’t close to my my MIL. She lived 100s of miles away and rarely visited. We saw them probably once a year and stayed in a holiday house nearby. My ‘DIL’ - they aren’t married - is delightful and during this covid experience has kept me up to speed with photos and videos of my granddaughter.

geekesse Sat 08-May-21 17:20:44

All my children’s partners are delightful - I have four lovely daughters in law, all in their own ways remarkable women.

Kim19 Sat 08-May-21 17:24:37

I certainly am so happy with my son's partner. We don't meet all that often but we do communicate regularly. In my opinion she is one terrific Mother and rears my GC beautifully. Do believe my son does his fair share. Certainly hope so. She is very diligent in sending regular photos of whatever activities they're all up to and this makes me feel included. Nice....

Roses Sat 08-May-21 17:46:49

My daughter in law is lovely and we get on really well, she is so loyal to my son as well as being a good mum.

She drove over to my house on Sunday's during lockdown with a roast dinner for me and rings me regularly.

What more could you ask for

love0c Sat 08-May-21 17:48:23

We have two DIL's. One we love to bits and the other one, well?? she has made our life hell on earth. Her and her parents are vicious, vile people and gaslight any situation to cause the maximum trouble. One has included us from the very start. Asked me along to chose her wedding dress! Invited us to the hospital after giving birth within an hour. We find it very hard not to let our sour relationship spoil our happy one. But it is hard as we have always wanted both children to be happy.

BBbevan Sat 08-May-21 17:52:21

Oh yes love her to pieces. She is a great wife to DS and a lovely mum .

dragonfly46 Sat 08-May-21 17:53:18

I have worked hard at the relationship with my DiL. I think it has paid off. We have regular communications now and she always makes us welcome. We do not live close so have to stay. Her own parents are separated so of course she has three sets of parents to accommodate and I think she does it well. I accept that her mum has priority but that is the way of the world.
We have not seen much of DGC over lock down but when I was rushed into hospital last week the 6 year old was very distressed at the thought of anything happening to Granny so I think my DiL is doing a great job at keeping us in their thoughts.