Gransnet forums

Chat

Hotels/Restaurants and Tasting Menus

(53 Posts)
Judy54 Sat 08-May-21 17:04:36

How do you feel about Hotels/Restaurants that only do tasting menus. It seems to be a bit of a trend at the moment but not one I am keen on. I like to be able to choose from a menu, not be told what I am going to eat and what time to sit down for it. It can also be very expensive and for me a bit of a waste of money if there are things on the menu that you don't like. Are you in favour of tasting menus or not?

Ellianne Sat 08-May-21 17:31:13

I rather like tasting menus. It gives you the opportunity to try things you might never have considered eating before. Normally the chefs are very enthusiastic and often come out to talk about the composition of their dishes and how they prepare them. I like to go in a group of four to compare our findings as we eat. I would expect to pay £50 - £60 a head, so yes expensive.

kittylester Sat 08-May-21 17:41:43

I agree Ellianne. I really enjoy tasting menus. We have had tasting menus from a local chef a few times over lockdown.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 17:45:49

We have tried many tasting menus over the years, it’s a good way to try new things. Only ever been underwhelmed once.

dragonfly46 Sat 08-May-21 17:47:23

I hate them. I keep waiting for my main course to arrive!

dragonfly46 Sat 08-May-21 17:49:14

I think it is just an excuse to charge exorbitant prices for often inferior food. I suppose it is easier for the restaurant though as they know what to buy in. As that is the case they should be cheaper!

Aveline Sat 08-May-21 18:13:47

There are all sorts of meals just as there are all sorts of restaurant. If you don't like tasting menus then don't eat there. Restaurants are businesses not charities. I customers are not happy to pay the prices they won't come back. Luckily, many people do value the unusual and interesting dishes on offer. Chefs will nearly always ask for food dislikes in advance or can change out particular items if necessary.

Blossoming Sat 08-May-21 18:29:14

I enjoy trying things out, but for me tasting menus are best enjoyed as a group.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 08-May-21 18:31:07

I have allergies, DH has a list of wont do foods we have always found the Chef accommodating to our requirements.

Witzend Sat 08-May-21 19:10:21

I’ve only ever had two, both in France.
One was nice enough, the other wasn’t anything to shout about, and one ‘taste’ - some sort of olive foam thing, was positively vile.
Both were extremely expensive. I particularly remember the not so nice one, since there were 10 of us and although we hadn’t chosen the venue, dh picked up the bill. That was because we were staying with a very well off relative who would usually pay, so we felt it only fair to take our turn now and then.
But a few days later I enjoyed a much simpler (and cheaper) meal in a little restaurant in Beaune an awful lot more.

Ellianne Sat 08-May-21 19:19:14

Witzend grin
Our son calls the frothy foam stuff "spit". I don't think it adds anything.
Beaune is beautiful, especially the hospices.

Judy54 Mon 10-May-21 13:50:03

Thank you all for your replies. Never have been a fan but perhaps now is the time to give it a try. I think it will go on my to do list.

Funnygran Sun 16-May-21 10:49:59

Our DS and wife bought us a voucher for a very expensive local restaurant that only does tasting menus. The food was delicious but such tiny portions and I think DH made himself some toast when we got home. The waiter described each course as he put it down on the table and to be honest he spent more time describing the food than it took to eat it! It was an experience which I’m glad we had though and I would recommend it even if you never do it again.

Nanette1955 Sun 16-May-21 10:52:21

I’ve done a couple and have loved them. For me it’s good to try something I may never had ordered, and as each course is small, leaving something isn’t a worry. Xx

Janetashbolt Sun 16-May-21 10:59:54

I'm much to fussy, so many things I won't even try, yes I know that's my loss. I'd never try a tasting menu

nipsmum Sun 16-May-21 11:02:55

I would like tasting menus. The portions are not too big and the choice is good.

Aveline Sun 16-May-21 11:04:48

I was trying to persuade a favourite small restaurant to try this recently. They're so small that with social distancing it's not worth their while opening. They have a carry out menu instead.
Anyway, I suggested a tasting menu which would allow for only a few tables but could charge a significant cost. The lady replied that tasting menus are a nightmare to lay on. Extra chef time, more plates and cutlery, more ingredients to source and store etc plus more waiting staff to explain the dishes and the extra staff time to learn the menus etc. I really hadn't thought about it from their point of view. It's such a good place we'd have happily paid serious money to help them out. I just hope they can hang in there.

Plunger Sun 16-May-21 11:07:44

Funnygran
Same here. Given a voucher so felt we had to use it but chose lunch as it was cheaper. It took nearly 7 months before the menu mainly consisted of something we fancied. Mostly sounded awful! Food was OK but minute. Charged £10 extra for cheese ( 2 slithers of nondescript plastic) as DH doesn't like dessert. We had 2 glasses of wine plus an aperitif to start. The total bill came to over £180 just for 3 course lunch!! Never again for vastly overpriced food. My starter was basically a tiny new potato that I could easy put in my mouth without cutting. The restaurant has since been awarded a Michelin star and put the price up by £10 a head. They are basically taking the **.

cupcake1 Sun 16-May-21 11:10:10

DH and I did one in Nathan Outlaws fish restaurant in Cornwall and it was superb. Some of the dishes we tried I would not have ordered in a million years but they were so tasty and we ate every morsel! I would go back in a heartbeat. You have to book way in advance though as it’s very popular even though it is expensive.

Aepgirl Sun 16-May-21 11:10:43

I enjoy tasting menus (can’t remember the last time I had one). My only criticism is that if you come across one or more dishes that you particularly enjoy, it would be nice to have more of that. However I have had some tasters when I have been offered more of a particularly tasty dish.

1summer Sun 16-May-21 11:12:18

I have been to 2 michelin starred restaurants for tasting menus. They were both very expensive over £90pp, they tried to encourage us to pair wines with the courses but that doubled the price! The first time left us still hungry and we stopped at the chippy on the way home. The second time at Purnells in Birmingham the food was sublime but the portions still small I was always wanting more. Glyn Purnell was lovely and he always serves you one course. I would prefer 3 courses with bigger portions.

Juicylucy Sun 16-May-21 11:12:44

I was treated to a tasting menu for my birthday whilst visiting my dd in Australia. It was a 5* renowned restaurant on gold coast, we were abit apprehensive and when it came we thought we are going to be hungry still after this even though it was 7 courses.We definitely wasn’t,and it was lovely, but very expensive.

Kartush Sun 16-May-21 11:21:49

I have done it twice, once at a seafood restaurant in Sicily whichever’s was very difficult for me as I am not a fan of shellfish or octopus. And a second time at home here in Australia which I thoroughly enjoyed.
Would I do it again, yes probably as long as it wasn’t seafood

hicaz46 Sun 16-May-21 11:26:28

Absolutely love tasting menus, but my partner doesn’t so sometimes we go to a restaurant which has them to please me and sometimes to a restaurant with a different menu to please her. It works for us at least it dud pre covid.

hicaz46 Sun 16-May-21 11:26:49

That’s did not dud.