Gransnet forums

Chat

Teachers and Pupils must agree with LGBT ideology

(51 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 09-May-21 10:47:53

A school has sacked its pastor for a sermon telling pupils they need not agree with any ideology, including LGBT, but they should be respectful to others and their views.

This is an extreme position taken by one school, of course, but the LGBT training the teachers received, from an organisation called Educate & Celebrate, is also being given to other schools.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9557845/amp/School-reports-chaplain-telling-pupils-theyre-allowed-disagree-LGBT-teaching.html?__twitter_impression=true

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 10:56:22

There is another thread where people have quoted tolerance and freedom of speech as reasons why people want to come and live in the UK. I'd say that no longer applies. There is zero tolerance when Christian beliefs are expressed, or when people are told they are allowed to think for themselves.

EllanVannin Sun 09-May-21 11:19:23

Good point Chestnut. I was one who quoted tolerance and freedom--though not of speech necessarily.
Tolerance for me was meant to be acceptance of whoever comes into the country either through immigration or war-torn zones, irrespective whether it's legal entry or not.

I wouldn't be tolerant if someone told me what to do, or how to think, or even be made to agree with someone else's views. This is down to the individual and thank God I'm still an individual grin and not a clone.

Dragonella Sun 09-May-21 11:36:26

since Trent exists ‘to educate boys and girls according to the Protestant and Evangelical principles of the Church of England’, anyone who tells you that you must accept contrary principles is jeopardizing the school’s charitable status, and therefore its very existence.

Fair point!

Although there is more evidence to support the existence of 'gender' than there is for the existence of God, and he's happy to push religious ideology as fact.

geekesse Sun 09-May-21 11:45:36

Teachers and pupils may hold whatever ideology that they wish, but their public behaviour must comply with the law, the school’s diversity policy, and common courtesy. If any member of school staff encourages students to violate the school’s diversity policy, or any other policy for that matter, they are likely to be dismissed for professional misconduct.

No-one has to work for an organisation whose policies they disagree with. If they choose to do so, they have the option to put up and shut up in order to keep receiving the salary. There are formal procedures within all organisations to legitimately oppose policies. Rabble-rousing is not usually one of them.

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 11:48:26

Trent College has a ‘Christian ethos’ and Dr Randall was appointed in 2015 to provide pastoral care, share the Christian faith and lead services in the school’s chapel.
So now he has been dismissed for doing his job. He did not say that what was being taught was wrong, just that you didn't have to agree with it, but should always show respect to others. The essence of this was that people should not be told what to think.

FarNorth Sun 09-May-21 11:49:47

geekesse Either you haven't read the article or you have severely misunderstood it.
The pastor was doing the opposite of rabble-rousing .

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 11:50:43

Not at all authoritarian geekesse. You must think like we do or you cant work. You do know many lgb people have grave concerns about what is being taught. Should they just bugger off as well.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 11:52:04

I agree with following formal procedures though, a womans organisation has recently challenged some of the education provided on this subject and the content was changed as it was found to rely on stereotypes of women.

trisher Sun 09-May-21 12:00:35

It's an Independent school if the parents don't like it they can stop paying the fees.

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 12:03:26

Galaxy

I agree with following formal procedures though, a womans organisation has recently challenged some of the education provided on this subject and the content was changed as it was found to rely on stereotypes of women.

So you agree that Dr Randall should have been dismissed?

Ellianne Sun 09-May-21 12:07:57

Difficult one. The school would sack him if he wasn't following their policies and ethos.
On the other hand, as a chaplain he has to be true to his own religious beliefs.

geekesse Sun 09-May-21 12:08:25

Galaxy, I wouldn’t even consider working for an organisation that allowed or encouraged attitudes that exclude or diminish LGBTI+ people. That doesn’t mean I can’t work, just that I have to choose where I work with care.

LGBTI+ people have very good reason to have concerns about how children are taught.

My point was that any objection to a school’s policies should be conducted using official mechanisms for doing so. If teachers started encouraging children to disobey school policies and rules by word and by example, the outcome for children’s education might be catastrophic.

Ellianne Sun 09-May-21 12:09:17

trisher

It's an Independent school if the parents don't like it they can stop paying the fees.

Not quite.
Parents can give notice to take their children out of the school, but they can't just stop paying the school fees.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 12:14:39

The trouble is geekesse there is considerable debate amongst the lgbt community about what is exclusionary and it differs particularly between gay men and lesbians. So some of those discussions could be seen as very discriminatory towards lesbians for example, so if you look at the subjects of say surrogacy, single sex places etc there is a wide debate on this in the LGBT community and it is wrong to try and enforce a particular viewpoint. I am not saying that was happening at this school but it really isnt simple. Thinking that there is some sort of consensus within the community is in my view quite discriminatory.

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 12:16:02

If teachers started encouraging children to disobey school policies and rules by word and by example, the outcome for children’s education might be catastrophic.
There's a difference between disobeying school policies and having your own beliefs. You can believe what you like so long as you don't disobey the school policies. Dr Randall wasn't encouraging anyone to disobey school policies.

Ellianne Sun 09-May-21 12:18:06

Chestnut

^If teachers started encouraging children to disobey school policies and rules by word and by example, the outcome for children’s education might be catastrophic.^
There's a difference between disobeying school policies and having your own beliefs. You can believe what you like so long as you don't disobey the school policies. Dr Randall wasn't encouraging anyone to disobey school policies.

Exactly Chestnut.

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 12:18:39

Actually I have phrased that wrongly it's not about men and women, although obviously they do have different priorities and needs at times. It's just very recently the lgbt education included some stereotypes of women and that obviously impacted on many in the lgbt community.

FarNorth Sun 09-May-21 12:21:07

Dragonella what evidence is there for the existence of 'gender'?

FarNorth Sun 09-May-21 12:25:59

trisher

That's not the point.

The point is that this pastor has been harassed by being reported to the police and has now been dismissed, for giving a sermon which encouraged pupils to think for themselves while also being respectful to others.

Tldr: He did not say transwomen are women, transmen are men, so he's out of a job.

EllanVannin Sun 09-May-21 12:38:52

What happened to geography, history and all other subjects that pupils will learn from ? Half of them don't know the capital's of any country---or where the countries are shock

EllanVannin Sun 09-May-21 12:40:28

David Attenborough programmes are more in keeping if kids want to learn anything.

Chestnut Sun 09-May-21 13:59:20

His dismissal is entirely down to the school. The Police informed them that he had not done anything that warranted further action, but the school had been implementing the ethos of this organisation and decided he did not conform to their teachings:
www.educateandcelebrate.org/
I find this very worrying that schools can do this. They are telling children what to think.

Lolo81 Sun 09-May-21 14:22:25

Describing the rights and struggle of LGBT people as “ideology” and making the comparison with a religious or political choice is in and of itself troubling. The politician is Poland who used this as an ultra conservative platform shows how adopting the word “ideology” can create a very divisive discourse.

Farnorth - the WHO describes gender as a social construct, and there are hundreds of academic papers examining the effects of gender as a social construct correlating with equality, health care access and violence (amongst others).

Galaxy Sun 09-May-21 14:32:39

Yes and this from what I can see is saying the opposite that we have an inborn gender identity, not a social construct. I would be very happy to have discussions on gender as a social construct.