Gransnet forums

Chat

Could not believe ....

(25 Posts)
hazel93 Fri 14-May-21 14:40:46

the nursery my GD attends since she was a baby has told DS and DIL her IT skills need to improve.
She is 2 and a half !
Is it me , or has the world gone mad ?

Hithere Fri 14-May-21 14:42:50

What IT skills they are taking about?

hazel93 Fri 14-May-21 15:02:53

Exactly ! No idea TBH.
She has a tablet which she only uses when tired , much rather be out exploring , playing and generally being a 2 year old.
I find this totally ridiculous but maybe I am a dinosaur !

Hithere Fri 14-May-21 15:06:15

Weird, screen time and electronics are recommended to be limited for kids, it is much better to explore and play.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 15:40:40

DGC come from a home where, as little ones (under 8) their contact with electronics was very limited. No electronic games or gadgets and even now they are around teenage, time on phones and such like is limited, yet they are still every bit as IT knowledgeable and up to speed as contemporaries and DGS is really in to coding and attends afterschool classes.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 15:40:41

DGC come from a home where, as little ones (under 8) their contact with electronics was very limited. No electronic games or gadgets and even now they are around teenage, time on phones and such like is limited, yet they are still every bit as IT knowledgeable and up to speed as contemporaries and DGS is really in to coding and attends afterschool classes.

AGAA4 Fri 14-May-21 15:51:24

To be assessed on IT skills at two and a half is just silly. They are barely more than babies.

Purplepixie Fri 14-May-21 15:58:06

That's just plain ridiculous! When do they enjoy just being a child? ?

B9exchange Fri 14-May-21 16:03:34

Well my DGS is going to have problems then! He is two, and all screens have been effectively banned from him. His language skills are very advanced to the point of being able to have quite a debate with him, he loves to be outdoors, and is good with imaginative play.

I would much rather children learned to read and write before they start tapping at screens.

BlueBelle Fri 14-May-21 16:17:07

Perhaps it means IN TUNE ???
Do they have them using computers in your nursery hazel

lemongrove Fri 14-May-21 16:17:24

Nurseries have to do all the tick box exercises these days, it must drive the staff mad. The days of playing at the sandbox and painting and playdough, having juice and a biscuit and a story and playing outside only, have long gone.It’s all ‘ can the child do this? That? And the other?’

Madgran77 Fri 14-May-21 16:18:07

???

hazel93 Fri 14-May-21 16:23:03

Of course it is silly.
It simply amazes me that any small person should "need" any IT skill when still expanding their vocabulary and exploring their environment, far more important in my view.
I am sure, as you say Monica, she will be as savvy as all her peers as she grows.

Hithere Fri 14-May-21 16:28:20

Anyway no biggie

Unless the pediatrician highlights any delay, kids catch up at different rates

I wouldn't give it another second of my time

Shelflife Fri 14-May-21 18:02:19

Speechless! Ridiculous.

NotAGran55 Fri 14-May-21 18:32:38

I think I would be changing the nursery....

Lucca Fri 14-May-21 18:36:30

I would seriously challenge this. I honestly doubt there are any IT targets for two year olds.

eazybee Fri 14-May-21 18:38:10

Nurseries have to do all the tick box exercises these days, it must drive the staff mad
It does.
Child minders have to keep similar records as well..

Grannycool52 Fri 14-May-21 18:41:31

Crazy!

Tricia247uk Fri 14-May-21 18:51:20

All educationalists have to keep records thus proving that a child's entitlement to the national curriculum is being met.

I would suggest OPs Ds and DIL ask the nursery for clarification

nanaK54 Fri 14-May-21 18:58:29

Technology is part of EYFS 'Understanding the World'
At 22-36 months:
Seeks to acquire basic skills in turning on and operating equipment
Operates mechanical toys, e.g. turns the knob on a wind up toy or pulls back on a friction car
Hope that helps
Absolutely nothing to do with screens

FarNorth Fri 14-May-21 22:41:18

The nursery isn't doing well at communication if they haven't explained what they are talking about.
What's the point of giving parents a meaningless message?

Scentia Fri 14-May-21 23:16:46

It is a fact that electronics and screens are a part of our lives now, we must accept this and early years have certain milestones they are expected to reach even in IT. Parents are not helping their children by not allowing any access to IT which can include all sorts of electronic information devices.
We do not still use a chalk board in schools and we do not expect our children to be writing on a slate, we must move on.

fiorentina51 Sat 15-May-21 05:28:19

When my now 39 year old daughter was 6 months old we bought our first computer. Whilst sitting on her fathers lap as he was attempting to use it, she leant forward and pressed a button on the keyboard that made the computer produce a beep sound. Every time she was anywhere near it she would love to do it.
I must tell her how advanced her IT skills were....?

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 08:10:04

Scentia

It is a fact that electronics and screens are a part of our lives now, we must accept this and early years have certain milestones they are expected to reach even in IT. Parents are not helping their children by not allowing any access to IT which can include all sorts of electronic information devices.
We do not still use a chalk board in schools and we do not expect our children to be writing on a slate, we must move on.

Of course. But at 2 ?!
Anyway nanK54. Has explained