Gransnet forums

Chat

Games or conversations?

(52 Posts)
absent Sat 15-May-21 06:41:33

When I joined Gransnet, just about the time it was started, the conversations were just that – i.e. conversations. We discussed all kinds of things, both trivial and serious. What we didn't have were games. There are loads of internet sites for games, yet apparently, the most popular postings on Gransnet are games. Maybe, I should just give up. It was good while it lasted.

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 07:10:08

Games or conversations, you ask.

Both.

I think people have taken to games threads when the so-called conversation threads have become too aggressive. People don’t necessarily want to leave Gransnet but they don’t want to take part in tense arguments.

Live and let live.

CafeAuLait Sat 15-May-21 07:10:35

Just focus on what you are interested in. I never go into the games.

tanith Sat 15-May-21 07:14:36

Both, but I hide the games threads as soon as they appear so I don’t have to scroll through them as there are so many now.

Calendargirl Sat 15-May-21 07:15:49

Just counted 22 Games in the ‘Active’ section.

I scroll past them, no interest to me, but probably reflects the fact that some of the conversations are not particularly interesting to many posters, and also the same threads hang about for days.

Kim19 Sat 15-May-21 07:16:22

I do a bit of both. Games perhaps when I'm pondering a discussion topic or steering clear of one that is becoming childishly heated. Things can be avoided without being sneered at I feel. I presume you think this site has deteriorated then, absent? I rather like its versatility.

Galaxy Sat 15-May-21 07:36:08

Just ignore them. I have never been on a games thread in my life in the same way I have never been to a dog groomers or a wool shop. I understand that people would need those things though.

ginny Sat 15-May-21 07:43:51

Ignore or hide the threads you are not interested in.
If you can’t find anything interesting, start a thread yourself.

Puzzler61 Sat 15-May-21 07:47:03

Both.
I like stretching my brain daily in the games and I choose the conversations I want to join in with.
Variety is the spice of life.

Lucca Sat 15-May-21 07:59:03

What does it matter ?? Is it so time consuming and stressful to scroll past whatever doesn’t appeal ?

FindingNemo15 Sat 15-May-21 08:03:36

Absent I am so pleased someone has raised this subject. Why can't the games be on a separate page?

I was wondering if the G stood for Games and this site should be called GAMESNET?

StatenIsland Sat 15-May-21 08:15:14

I'm newish here and use the desktop version on a laptop. I cannot find an option to hide games. Could someone tell me how to do that?

I don't understand why games are listed under active discussions. No offence to anyone who participates in them but listing one thing after another: apple, banana, cherry ... is not a discussion - it's a list.

One person's sudden participation in several games pushes actual discussions off the active list so I have to go trawling though individual forum categories to see what's current. It would be an easy task for site programmers to separate these out. I'm sure this issue will have arisen before

BlueBelle Sat 15-May-21 08:15:45

Needs a separated page altogether
Yes it’s easy to scroll past BUT after a couple of days the news feed becomes taken up with games threads if there was an easy way of deleting them it wouldn’t really matter but it’s time consuming if youre on a phone or tablet as you have to go through 4 movements for each thread to get rid of them and then a day later they are all back again it’s not a permanent removal
I love playing games like sudoku, scrabble, etc etc online but have never played here because to my mind it doesn’t work if you’re playing a word game for instances you need to go back pages to make sure you’re not putting in a word already posted I just don’t have time or patience to be doing that

Poppyred Sat 15-May-21 08:25:55

Yes please tell me how to hide the games threads.

Kim19 Sat 15-May-21 08:30:19

BB, if I am participating in a word sequence game, I simply put in the first thing that comes into my head. Wouldn't dream of scrolling back to see if I was repeating. Where's the spontaneity in that? No, I'm strictly there for immediate 'fun' or brain rattling and nothing arduous.

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 08:34:45

Poppyred

Yes please tell me how to hide the games threads.

Me too, please, tanith!

Although I do join in an occasional one.

I think the anti-games threads comments can smack of intellectual snobbery, truth be told.

DanniRae Sat 15-May-21 08:58:42

I enjoy the games threads ......... and the discussion threads, as long as people aren't arguing. I'm sorry but I don't see the problem hmm

BlueBelle Sat 15-May-21 09:03:36

Baggs you are so wrong what is snobby about saying they re annoying in the manner they are listed on this site

If anyone wants to hide the games threads this is how you do it if you are on the mobile site if you’re on desktop miss out the first step
1.... scroll to bottom and change to desktop site ( you can’t hide them using the mobile site)
2..... look up to top right hand corner and find a downward arrow click on it
3..... then you get lots of questions go half way down them on the left hand side until you find hide this discussion
3 .... click on that then repeat the process for each individual game thread

BEWARE this does not hide them for ever only until they pop up again (shakes head and puts head in hands??)

sodapop Sat 15-May-21 09:15:37

I agree BlueBelle it is tedious scrolling back several pages to check you are not duplicating an answer. I play a few word games on line so don't bother with the GN ones. I hide them when they appear.
Don't understand what you mean about intellectual snobbery Baggs

lemongrove Sat 15-May-21 09:20:56

DanniRae

I enjoy the games threads ......... and the discussion threads, as long as people aren't arguing. I'm sorry but I don't see the problem hmm

I agree Danni and it’s easy enough to go to chat or news and politics etc on the forum if that’s all a poster wants.

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 09:23:24

BlueBelle

Baggs you are so wrong what is snobby about saying they re annoying in the manner they are listed on this site

If anyone wants to hide the games threads this is how you do it if you are on the mobile site if you’re on desktop miss out the first step
1.... scroll to bottom and change to desktop site ( you can’t hide them using the mobile site)
2..... look up to top right hand corner and find a downward arrow click on it
3..... then you get lots of questions go half way down them on the left hand side until you find hide this discussion
3 .... click on that then repeat the process for each individual game thread

BEWARE this does not hide them for ever only until they pop up again (shakes head and puts head in hands??)

You didn't read my post fully, bluebelle, if that's how you've interpreted it.

Poppyred Sat 15-May-21 09:57:04

I’m on an iPad so no downward arrow .......

henetha Sat 15-May-21 10:00:48

Each to his own. The games threads are obviously popular. Just avoid them if you don't like them.

ixion Sat 15-May-21 10:13:26

I am using an iPad as I write this.
No arrow etc until you scroll down to

'View mobile site' (if you are not there already!)

at the bottom if the page.
Then the arrow appears.

FannyCornforth Sat 15-May-21 10:22:12

I think that it's a Gransnet rite of passage to either start or contribute to a thread about the Games threads.

See also: like button; 'light-hearted'; the Good Old Days of Gransnet.
I'm sure that you can think of other hardy perennials.