Gransnet forums

Chat

How to stop this guy from parking across our drive

(208 Posts)
Itsawelshthing Sat 15-May-21 12:14:36

I've been in my new house for just over a week now and already having issues. A car has blocked my car in by parking across the driveway on a dropped kerb. I left it first day, he parked there all morning and afternoon. But now he has parked there again and been there all morning and doesn't look like he is going to move and I need to get out of my drive to go shopping.

I know who it belongs to but I am scared of knocking on the door to ask him not to park there as it is stopping me from getting out but because he is quite a big lad and my husband and I really don't want any trouble with the neighbours.

I'm already getting very stressed about it but he clearly doesn't give a crap about where he parks. I don't want to ring the police or anything so how would you approach someone who may get very defensive and start causing problems? I'm so upset that we've moved into our own home and we are already encoutering issues.

midgey Sat 15-May-21 12:18:25

Big girl pants and knock on the door, just ask politely. No need to fall out!

geekesse Sat 15-May-21 12:18:50

You really have three options.
1. Ask him not to park there.
2. Notify the police. Get photos, dates and times so you can prove it.
3. Put up with the inconvenience.

If you are too scared to do (1) and unwilling to do (2), then (3) is all that is left.

Buffybee Sat 15-May-21 12:19:03

Perhaps the previous owner had let this person park there and he hasn't noticed new people have moved in.
As long as you are polite and tell him you need to get your car out of your drive, I can't see any reason why he should be aggressive.
Just do it now!!

Itsawelshthing Sat 15-May-21 12:20:19

Okay! I know I need to put my big pants on lol but my worry is, is he going to keep on doing it and can I simply ask him not to do it again? Driving me insane why can't they just use their heads.

Grandmabatty Sat 15-May-21 12:20:26

You are going to have to speak to him regardless of his size. He's blocking you in. Introduce yourself first. Be polite and ask him to move his car please as you need to get out. I had a similar issue with someone blocking me in (a grandma at the house opposite) The first time I was friendly and polite. The second time I was stone faced. It's never happened since. Good luck.

H1954 Sat 15-May-21 12:20:50

I would go and knock on his door and politely ask him to move his car to enable you to exit your drive. Don't be confrontational though.
In future, get your own vehicle out into the road as soon as you are up in the morning and leave it there all day, he will soon get the message.

Nannashirlz Sat 15-May-21 12:27:25

Just go knock on the door and say hi I’m such and such we’ve just moved in and we can’t get our car out any chance you can move your car thanks lol did you not watch Corrie don’t judge a person by their looks he’s probably just a big teddy bear at heart.

NotSpaghetti Sat 15-May-21 12:44:10

Have you actually had something happen that worries you about this person or is it that he looks awkward?

I would definitely nip over to speak to him about it. Just be polite!

Good luck.

aggie Sat 15-May-21 12:51:24

Send your Husband to ask him to move ?

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 15-May-21 12:57:17

I’m presuming you’ve not met your neighbours yet? Just go round, introduce yourselves, explain you’ve just moved in etc.

Then politely ask if they know who that car belongs to. (It’s possible, only being in the house a week, you wouldn’t have noticed who was putting it there). He will say it’s his, and hopefully will realise it’s blocking you. It’s possible he had an agreement with the previous neighbours, but at least then, you can get the conversation going, and get a feel for the type of people they are.

That should put an end to it. If they are difficult with you, could you contact the previous owners? They should have informed you of any acrimony. It’s law now I think.

Hopefully, it won’t come to that, they’ll just apologise and move it. All the best to you.

timetogo2016 Sat 15-May-21 12:58:48

I would knock the door and tell him you need to go shopping so would you kindy move your car.
If he is awkward i would start parking in the same spot, that will stop him.

keepingquiet Sat 15-May-21 13:00:32

I had a problem regarding parking with my neighbour when I first moved in. She was uber aggressive and nasty but since we get on, say hello and have a little chat sometimes.
I stood up to her calmly and firmly.
It is not illegal to park across and empty driveways but it is illegal to prevent someone leaving their property. I used to have this problem when I lived near a primary school.
First, knock on the door and tell him you need to get out and his car is blocking your drive. If he refuses take photos and call the police.
If he moves it then job done.
You will have to decide whether you want to do this every time or stop him doing it by parking there yourself and stopping him from doing so.
Having neighbours like this can be distressing and hurtful but very often are solved quite simply.
His size shouldn't come into it- not all big men are aggressive. However, if he does become threatening inform the police and also have a word with your other neighbours if you have any.

Gingster Sat 15-May-21 13:03:49

Why would anyone park across someone else’s drive ! Just go and knock and say can you please move your car and that your drive is in constant use so don’t do it again.
How unreasonable.

Redhead56 Sat 15-May-21 13:05:34

DiscoDancer1975 is correct about the previous occupants of your house. They should have informed the agent selling the house if there was a dispute with the neighbour. However that's history now you should both knock on the neighbours door as suggested. Ask who the car belongs to and just request that you have access to your driveway. Let us know how you get on.

greenlady102 Sat 15-May-21 13:14:15

keepingquiet

I had a problem regarding parking with my neighbour when I first moved in. She was uber aggressive and nasty but since we get on, say hello and have a little chat sometimes.
I stood up to her calmly and firmly.
It is not illegal to park across and empty driveways but it is illegal to prevent someone leaving their property. I used to have this problem when I lived near a primary school.
First, knock on the door and tell him you need to get out and his car is blocking your drive. If he refuses take photos and call the police.
If he moves it then job done.
You will have to decide whether you want to do this every time or stop him doing it by parking there yourself and stopping him from doing so.
Having neighbours like this can be distressing and hurtful but very often are solved quite simply.
His size shouldn't come into it- not all big men are aggressive. However, if he does become threatening inform the police and also have a word with your other neighbours if you have any.

also once he has moved his car, park across your own drive to stop it happening again.
Actually it IS illegal to obstruct a legal driveway that has a dropped kerb. If you just pave over a front garden then access is not protected unless you apply to the council to drop the kerb. www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q440.htm

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 15-May-21 14:12:19

Might it help if you put yourself in the charming, suave character of Sgt Wilson in Dad's Army, welsh ? He could charm the birds off the trees.
Knock on the door, introduce yourself, "I've just moved in to No 3 and I need to get my car out. Could you just move your car a little ... would you mind awfully?" Smile as though you expect him to be just as pleasant and hope he should get the message. Repeat this polite request every time and if he has any sense he'll park elsewhere in future.

grannyactivist Sat 15-May-21 14:20:51

It isn’t really a problem unless the man in question refuses to move his car. I very often need to deal with people who have a reputation for being ‘awkward’ and the trick - as has been said up thread - is to simply be polite, smile and expect that the chap in question will be reasonable.

Give it a go and then come and tell us how you got on. ?

SpringyChicken Sat 15-May-21 15:18:48

You cannot judge him just on his appearance and it would be inappropriate to report him before asking him to move the car. If you speak to him with a smile on your face, is unlikely to refuse your request. And in for a penny, in for a pound, say you don’t like being blocked in so would he not park across your drive again. You might open up the conversation by saying he may not be aware but you are living at the house now and need access to the road at all times.

annodomini Sat 15-May-21 15:29:38

I have had this problem from time to time. I live in an end terrace house with a dropped kerb across the entry. If someone parks there, I can't get in or out. On one occasion, I contacted the police who came (amazingly), photographed the offending vehicle and left a ticket on the windscreen. I usually leave a message under an offender's windscreen wiper, reminding them that parking over a dropped kerb causes an obstruction and that the police will be informed.

crazyH Sat 15-May-21 15:29:44

I think it is illegal to park across anyone’s drive - you are entitled to have free access to the road, at all times . What if there’s an emergency and you need to leave your house? I had this problem in my previous house. It only stopped after I had the police involved.
Your first step should be to talk to him. Good luck

midgey Sat 15-May-21 15:33:54

Please come back and tell us how it went!

M0nica Sat 15-May-21 16:18:11

Geekesse Brilliantly and succinctly put. It really is as simple as that.

It just occurs to me, there are two other options. Park your car either across your drive so he can't park his there, or park your car across his drive and negotiate a trade off, if he doesn't park across your drive, you will not park across his.

justwokeup Sat 15-May-21 16:35:58

You have probably given yourself more grief worrying about it than he will when you get round there. Just do it! Plan what you are going to say and it rarely goes as badly as you imagine. And I don't see why you would need to park across your own driveway if you let him know it is in constant use.
You could also play the super-nice innocent card if needed: 'you probably haven't noticed we've moved in, so nice to meet you. My name is [****] , my husband is [****] and you are ...?' If you do have to report him to the police eventually you will need to know that. grin

MollyAA12 Sat 15-May-21 16:40:02

I think in life we all have to be in the situation that you can get out in an emergency. If you can't you have the right to explain that to him. When I was training years ago I was told that you have to have exits clear at all times in case you have to move quickly. Just say to him that if one of you is taken ill youwould not be able to get your car out.