Gransnet forums

Chat

Recommendations for National Trust properties to visit.

(106 Posts)
Parsley3 Sun 16-May-21 12:13:54

I have just joined the National Trust and my first visit was to The Hill House the Charles Rennie Mackintosh masterpiece in Helensburgh. Since I will be holidaying in the UK this year I would love to hear about NT properties that are well worth a visit. I am thinking of a touring holiday and it would be great to plan it around your recommendations. Where should I go?

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 12:28:51

Gosh too many to recall. We take our NT book with us and look for places nearby. We've been to so many. Some that spring to mind are -
Cragside, Northumberland. We visited when the rhododendrons were out. Stunning.
Lyme Park, Stockport where they filmed Pride & Prejudice, the Colin Firth one.
Hill Top, Beatrix Potter's house in The Lake District.

ginny Sun 16-May-21 12:35:43

So many beautiful and interesting properties and gardens.
However if you find yourself in N . Wales, Penrhyn Castle is not to be missed. Took my breath away when we entered, not what I expected at all.

Peasblossom Sun 16-May-21 12:38:20

We went to Cragside (Northumberland) for the afternoon and ended up spending three days there in total. So much to see?

Galaxy Sun 16-May-21 12:40:55

There are lovely ones in the North East Cragside, Wallington, I also have a soft spot for Gibside as spent a lot of time there when my children were young.

Beechnut Sun 16-May-21 12:46:05

George Clarke did a tv programme on National Trust properties which is being repeated. I watched one last night but I’m afraid I can’t remember which channel it was.

eazybee Sun 16-May-21 13:06:50

Lacock Abbey, Wiltshire.
Very interesting house and extremely informative and helpful staff.

Cherrytree59 Sun 16-May-21 13:16:15

Parsley Hill house is on my list.
Last Thursday we visited Culzean Castle (Maybole Ayrshire) can highly recommend.

Ro60 Sun 16-May-21 15:38:26

Wightwick Manor nr. Wolverhampton is one of my favourites - Arts & Crafts period. Difficult to get there from the South but so with it.
Another Midlands one - Charlcotte Park near Stratford on Avon.

geekesse Sun 16-May-21 15:56:34

Sandham Memorial Chapel - Stanley Spencer art
Hidcote Manor - Arts and Crafts garden
Coughton Court - just love it
Baddesley Clinton - moated manor house
Snow hill Manor - wonderfully eccentric

Parsley3 Sun 16-May-21 17:11:46

Thank you everyone. I am making a list. Don't miss Hill House cherrytree it is very interesting.

LullyDully Sun 16-May-21 21:49:02

Baddesley Clinton is wonderful, a moated grange .

There was a blood stain by the fireplace in the main living room. The story was that the Lord of the manor came home to find his lady with the priest. He killed them , hence the blood. However, a few years ago they tested the blood and it belonged to an animal. The end of the tale.

I also like Mottisfont in Hampshire, wonderful roses.

To be honest most houses are worth a visit for so many reasons.

Chewbacca Sun 16-May-21 21:57:13

Another vote for Cragside in Northumberland; the jewel in the NT crown imo.

JaneJudge Sun 16-May-21 22:05:15

Ro60

Wightwick Manor nr. Wolverhampton is one of my favourites - Arts & Crafts period. Difficult to get there from the South but so with it.
Another Midlands one - Charlcotte Park near Stratford on Avon.

Shugborough Estate
Attingham Park
Moseley Old Hall too smile

Anglesey Abbey gardens, Cambridge

Powys Castle

kittylester Sun 16-May-21 22:05:46

I love, love, love Hill House

For another house of that era, but totally different, Stoneywell in Leicestershire was the home of the Gimson family until very recently.

Kate1949 Sun 16-May-21 22:09:36

LullyDully I agree Baddesley Clinton is great. We've been often as it's quite local to us. We usually visit there and Packwood House at the same time as they are very close together. Lovely topiary at Packwood.

Nannytopsy Sun 16-May-21 22:18:41

Calke Abbey in Derbyshire is “the house that time forgot”.

Lisagran Sun 16-May-21 22:41:40

www.channel4.com/programmes/george-clarkes-national-trust-unlocked

This is th3 programme Beechnut mentioned

Parsley3 Mon 17-May-21 08:29:54

Thank you everyone. I have added your suggestions to my list.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 17-May-21 08:37:03

My favourites and fairly near where I live are : Buscot House, Basildon House and Waddesdon Manor.

Greyduster Mon 17-May-21 08:52:07

Another big yes for Cragside. Further south, another favourite is Fountains Abbey near Ripon, and down to Derbyshire for the Elizabethan gem Hardwick Hall.

Greyduster Mon 17-May-21 08:56:25

Oxburgh Hall in Norfolk is wonderful, but probably still covered in scaffolding - big restoration going on.

LadyGracie Mon 17-May-21 08:57:26

Plas Newydd in Anglesey is beautiful, definitely my favourite of all.
Dyffryn House near Cardiff also good..

Largolass Mon 17-May-21 09:25:01

Parsley Kellie Castle and Hill of Tarvit in Fife are a couple of my favourites.

timetogo2016 Mon 17-May-21 09:34:34

I`m with janejudge and Ro60.
I didn`t like Agatha Christies tbh or the hosue where Lord Lichfield lived,i can`t remember the name though.